Windows Sucks. . . Is Linux Better?

Which liveCd are you using and how do you connect to your internet? (eg via usb modem)

You have to have a hardware modem for Linux. Most of your internal modems are win modems. You can pick a good deal on a hardware modem usually on ebay. An external modem will work because they are hardware modems. Usually the latest linux distros will pick up broadband.

yaustar posted on Sep 14 2005 at 04:38 PM said:
Which liveCd are you using and how do you connect to your internet? (eg via usb modem)

Speedtouch?

Last edited by a moderator:
declaration posted on Sep 13 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 12:21 PM said:
declaration posted on Sep 13 2005 at 10:53 AM said:
women forum users do exist you know....

And that changes what exactly? does that excuse *her* from being so conceated, and well wrong in the very real sence of the word. We all say stupid things, esp me, but really even I know when to shut up.
I never said it affected anything to do with the debate.

I'm sure if someone referred to you as "her", you'd correct them. I just corrected you and pointed out you shouldnt make assumptions as to a persons sex because they are interested in technology.

Actually I completely missed Cyclops's post. Calling me He LOL.
I'm not 100% up on Linux, but I think I can say I know my stuff otherwise. I bet I could repair a PC faster than you can say "Taamattawackatangi", and I'm a pretty good programmer too!

I NEVER said windows was 100% secure, All I said it's more secure if it's behind a hardware firewall. And for gawds sake, don't you dare say Linux is 100% secure, not even you Cyclops are daft enough to make that assumption.

I had a thought, now correct me if I am wrong here, and I will be the first to admit I do make errors, but linux is open source yes? And if an open source system became much more popular, wouldn't that make it easier to hack?

Another thing, I'm not against Linux, one of my machines here is running Mandrake, I'm just saying that if you know your stuff and take the correct precautions, Windows is perfectly okay.

There are sites online that tell you how to secure windows. Trouble with the windows installer is it turns on all services by default, as opposed to linux that leaves them off by default.

Also another thing that people stupidly do, they run their windows logged on as an administrator. Silly thing to do is that, as that's how SpyWare/Virus's can install themselves from the web and Emails etc.. You should all remove your running account from the administrator group. If you need to install software, then log an as Admin, then go back to the power user for your every day running. Also, don't forget to use a good password, not based on a dictionary word, and do use a mixture of letters and numbers and symbols if possible.

There you go, some simple hints to keep your PC happy :)

And P.S. Yes there are women in computing, I am proof of that, and I'm pretty good at it too. And I am a natural blonde, so that blows another male misconception out of the water :p

I had a thought, now correct me if I am wrong here, and I will be the first to admit I do make errors, but linux is open source yes? And if an open source system became much more popular, wouldn't that make it easier to hack?
Not at all. The same code will be just as easy to find a flaw in now as it will years from now. Popularity has nothing to do with ease, only with possible targeting.

One of the major points of open source is that bugs are supposed to be much easier to be worked out with many minds looking at and working on the code (which very frequently proves true). Not all code has flaws or bugs. Just because something is open source doesn't mean that the bugs keep flying out of the woodwork after discovery by crackers ad infinum; it's quite often the opposite (i.e, closed-source software is prone to prolonged bugs).

Furthermore, many of the problems with programs are not found particularly with *code* errors, but with the implementations of whatever the program does. Popular closed-source software usually has just as much API info/documentation as to how they work as open-source projects do.

And the Unix world is inherently more secure than Windows ventures. Vista seems like it will have more precautions to protect itself (seems -- important features are being removed left and right), but microsoft is simply not the king of security. They generally cater to those who want ease, not neccesarily security or stability.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 15 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
declaration posted on Sep 13 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 12:21 PM said:
declaration posted on Sep 13 2005 at 10:53 AM said:
women forum users do exist you know....

And that changes what exactly? does that excuse *her* from being so conceated, and well wrong in the very real sence of the word. We all say stupid things, esp me, but really even I know when to shut up.
I never said it affected anything to do with the debate.

I'm sure if someone referred to you as "her", you'd correct them. I just corrected you and pointed out you shouldnt make assumptions as to a persons sex because they are interested in technology.

I'm not 100% up on Linux, but I think I can say I know my stuff otherwise. I bet I could repair a PC faster than you can say "Taamattawackatangi", and I'm a pretty good programmer too!

I NEVER said windows was 100% secure, All I said it's more secure if it's behind a hardware firewall. And for gawds sake, don't you dare say Linux is 100% secure, not even you Cyclops are daft enough to make that assumption.

Another thing, I'm not against Linux, one of my machines here is running Mandrake, I'm just saying that if you know your stuff and take the correct precautions, Windows is perfectly okay.

There are sites online that tell you how to secure windows. Trouble with the windows installer is it turns on all services by default, as opposed to linux that leaves them off by default.

Also another thing that people stupidly do, they run their windows logged on as an administrator. Silly thing to do is that, as that's how SpyWare/Virus's can install themselves from the web and Emails etc.. You should all remove your running account from the administrator group. If you need to install software, then log an as Admin, then go back to the power user for your every day running. Also, don't forget to use a good password, not based on a dictionary word, and do use a mixture of letters and numbers and symbols if possible.

There you go, some simple hints to keep your PC happy :)

And P.S. Yes there are women in computing, I am proof of that, and I'm pretty good at it too. And I am a natural blonde, so that blows another male misconception out of the water :p

I never called you thats a lie. Although you chould learn to read my post. I feel personally that users regadless of OS are not stupid for not knowing how to protect there computer(a labourious and expensive task btw). I feel sad that you have not read my last post. Or my first post or any of my posts. I don't know who you are replying to because you clearly have not read anything. I shouldn't be surprised becuase by your posts you have never read anything ever. In short I have about 2 posts left. read them.

P.S. Woman;man;hermaphrodite don't care

P.P.S reading is not cheating its how we learn.

P.P.P.S sent post to friends, its not as much fun laughing on your own.

I never called you thats a lie.
A what? A he? Sure you did.
Although you chould learn to read my post.
Or my first post or any of my posts.
you clearly have not read anything.
you have never read anything ever.
There's not much to infer from a smilie face.

Why do you get so childishly defensive all the time? Are you in fact a child that has a hard time speaking respectfully and thoughtfully, or is it due to your own ignorance? Fluffy hasn't been condescending or rude like you have; why can't you just have a discussion while retaining some shred of dignity?

sorry I'll do a better reply.

I quoted referances and links to point out even the basics of what you said were wrong. Maybe I should be nicer, but its difficult when someone is so wrong to not say they are wrong.Edit me being a retard, I read that as calling me(as in name) laugh, not refering to gender

A PC consists of about 5 parts my sister could do this at 8, but really I have great doubts you have ever seen a computer, I make this assumption from your posts.

Again 1 post left and you can't read it. It says no OS is secure, what I can say with impuity is that windows has 100,000 virus and linux has 40. Spyware is currently on 80% of windows machinces and on ~0% of linux ones. If your using a hardware firewall its only one layer of protection.

the source for windows is available from your local P2P provider, the only difference is with linux there are people to look at the code and identify problems before they occur.

Please mandrake became mandriva eons ago. Users should not have to know there stuff, It should just work. With microsoft you will soon have to subscibe to this service, and its going to be costly. It is very not OK, I cannot bother to post again, the amount of exploits , virus, spyware are growing everyday, and the effort needed to protect your computer is becoming a full time task.

There on;off for a good reason. People are not stupid, do a pop quiz of 100 people and ask them what servies are, and why they need them; don't need them; are.

Also another thing that people stupidly do, they run their windows logged on as an administrator.Silly thing to do is that, as that's how SpyWare/Virus's can install themselves from the web and Emails etc.. You should all remove your running account from the administrator group. If you need to install software, then log an as Admin, then go back to the power user for your every day running
Apart from the fact that windows only allows you to do lots and lots of basic things as an user. Although there are schools of though who think its not that big of a deal. I suspect those users wanting to install kazaa will insist on being admin.

Also, don't forget to use a good password, not based on a dictionary word, and do use a mixture of letters and numbers and symbols if possible.
right symbols and letters, straight on a post it note, lol that will stop them.

There you go, some simple hints to keep your PC happy smile.gif
you forgot several spyware tools used cause youve gotta catch them all that need upating, virus protection tools regularly updated(cause you know they have stopped virus from speading to a quarter of the world, and can pre-empt things like new and exiting ways to irrate like bios viruses), and if you get one theres always that fun restore disk. Oh and i'm sure all of those backdoors are nice and closed, once you get any. Oh and you forgot to mention the cost lets see what the cost is going to be just to do that. And you forgot the time and effort of updating, remember theres not just windows udpate, you have to do it for all the apps on your system :) seperately. I do hope its an original copy becuase you have to register, and microsoft like keeping an eye on those machines that don't and won't patch them, and on and on and on.

And P.S. Yes there are women in computing, I am proof of that, and I'm pretty good at it too. And I am a natural blonde, so that blows another male misconception out of the water
I commented but I just changed my mind

iignotus posted on Sep 15 2005 at 11:51 PM said:
Why do you get so childishly defensive all the time? Are you in fact a child that has a hard time speaking respectfully and thoughtfully, or is it due to your own ignorance? Fluffy hasn't been condescending or rude like you have; why can't you just have a discussion while retaining some shred of dignity?

calling someone beinga he/she on an pretty anonmous internet. I like that. I also like the fact that its assumed I'm a man.

Again you should read my post, look at her original post. Did I critasize her on a technical level absolutely. Now who can I think of that did choose to call someone an asshole and stalk them, and try and be a white knight(I know of no independant woman that would want that). She was condersending, her posts are, which is why I've replied to them like I have. I think it is rude after I have spent time and effort to collect information and she hasn't read it. I think its rude to dimiss what I've said when I'd bothered to include quotes and referances to sources on the net.

She says not even I would be daft enough to say that, read my post. Do you find anything wrong there, becuase I bet you don't find anything much wrong. What she's said is pretty much 100% wrong.

Now who can I think of that did choose to call someone an asshole
I call them like I see them :D

Oh man, I'm going to try to let your posts speak for themselves from now on, since you're too thickheaded to understand how to properly conduct yourself, and as anyone with clearer head than you (e.g, most if not all of this forum) will be able to see how vapid, intolerant, and simply unimportant the things you say are.

Cheers mate. If you've anything coherent to write I may reply to you.

love the word vapid.

but the post its what I expect an insult but not on anything techical.

Cyclops, you really are daft aren't you. Have you any idea what I do for a living? No, I'm senior tech in our University, and have been for over 18 years.

No windows in non Admin mode is not that restricting, run it as POWER USER and you're okay, and since SP2 a lot of functions will ask for the Admin password to use an admin status function. I know some software have problems in non Admin mode, but most have a resolve, i.e. Nero Burnin Rom has an add-on called Nero Burnin Rights that allow non admins to run it correctly.

Just coz I missed a post only means I don't have the time to read every post on every thread, I don't live on here you know, I have a life and I'm busy on a complex web project for a customer at the moment. I suggest you follow my lead, pop down to Lives R us and get one of your own (This is an obvious joke so don't get a bee in your bonnet OK) BZZZZZ.

A PC consisting of 5 parts, well yes an obvious fault like no video or a dead PSU is easy to diagnose, but when you start getting little intermittent faults that's when it gets fun, and it may not even be hardware either, some software related faults can look like hardware. When I first started in the Uni, we were going down to board level, There were no PCs on Campus, the rest were BBCs, Apricot F series, Amigas Cirius's and a lot of dumb terminals running RS232 from PADs. None of these were exactly modular like the modern PC, when we started to get PC's, we couldn't replace cards and drives as they were too expensive, we had to repair them ourselves. I used to spend ages realigning the heads on floppy drives as a 1.44mb drive was about £90. I stand by my previous post. I still bet I can repair a PC faster, people who say, well you just replace a card don't you, will come very stuck when they hit something really awkward. Just as a matter of fact here, Our department wanted all our Techs to get their A+ certificates, I got the 2nd highest mark on both the software and hardware exam the test centre had seen. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :D .

A hardware firewall maybe only one layer of protection, but it's a bloody good one, you can't really hack it for one.

Don't quote percentages of spyware/virus's on Linux and windows, there's no point. You really should have added the percentage of people running windows compared to Linux, this would have put it into perspective. It's a bit like saying that there are far more accidents that are car related compared to unicycles.

The Mandrake thing, here we go again, a Unix enthusiast droning on which is the BEST version, Hang on, didn't someone post that Linux was Linux and that something like Red hat or Mandrake was just a flavour? Comments please.
I would have thought you would be happy I am running Linux on one of my systems instead of flaming me for it, there's no pleasing some is there.

On another point, because windows is the more popular choice for the consumer, there are presently lots of software and solutions that Linux cannot be the choice for. Here's an example: You cannot use Linux as the OS choice for an Audio workstation. For a start Steinberg or Sonars Pro Audio won't run on Linux, and sound card ASIO drivers are not available, or at least not as good. And no you cannot run one of them windows environments as you need every smidgen of CPU power. If you don't know why, please don't make any silly comments such as you don't need a powerful processor to play audio, as you won't know what you're talking about.

Okay Cyclops, enough is enough, try and be nice from now on and and stop flaming everything I say. Is there something about me that annoys you? I bet it's because a girl is as good or maybe better than you at some areas of computing? if so it's pretty sad. Please be nice from now on, I may not know as much about Linux as you, but I don't think you know as much about windows as I. Lets kiss and make up (No tongues :D ).

You cannot use Linux as the OS choice for an Audio workstation.
It depends on what you classify as an Audio Workstation. Complex manipulation with linear editing, effects processing, layers, input from sound cards etc., output to multichannel audio systems, on and on: sure. You can definately do those things on linux -- don't get caught up on names of proprietary programs just because they are "industry leaders". Audacity is a great place to start for complex audio editing on Linux.

Now, can you do realtime editing of a source for, say, silence removal, echo removal, normalisation, segmenting, and pipe it out to a lossless file and stream it over the web? Maybe, maybe not (though I'd like to see any generic setup do all that :p ).

You really, actually, truly can do everything on Linux that you can on Windows. But it is just as true that many of the large, complex applications aren't nearly as mature on Linux as they are on Windows (just as most of the smaller and more useful tools are better), being that they're mainly developed independantly of large companys. That's changing every day though, since more people are becoming aware of the fact that they're being robbed by large companies and people who support them.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 16 2005 at 08:36 PM said:
iignotus posted on Sep 16 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
It depends on what you classify as an Audio Workstation. Complex manipulation with linear editing, effects processing, layers, input from sound cards etc., output to multichannel audio systems, on and on: sure. You can definately do those things on linux -- don't get caught up on names of proprietary programs just because they are "industry leaders". Audacity is a great place to start for complex audio editing on Linux.

Now, can you do realtime editing of a source for, say, silence removal, echo removal, normalisation, segmenting, and pipe it out to a lossless file and stream it over the web? Maybe, maybe not (though I'd like to see any generic setup do all that :p ).

You really, actually, truly can do everything on Linux that you can on Windows. But it is just as true that many of the large, complex applications aren't nearly as mature on Linux as they are on Windows (just as most of the smaller and more useful tools are better), being that they're mainly developed independantly of large companys. That's changing every day though, since more people are becoming aware of the fact that they're being robbed by large companies and people who support them.
er yes you can yes, But you cannot run the most used audio packages on linux, i.e, stienberg blah blah.... actually theres a war on between steinberg and sonar fans. Ohhh wow this sounds famalilliar.....

Wrong, you cannot run audio at full whack i.e an audio wrkstation in a shell

Yes you can, but can you do that in realtime on multiple channels with effects?

I class an audio workstation as those the pro users like my boyfriend uses.... I am sorry but Linux is not supported by Steinberg or Sonar... correct me if I am wrong there...

Edit That sounded kinda pompous... sorrryyy but what I was trying to say is that music guys are popmous and stick to those packages, and linux is not supportive........

Cyclops, you really are daft aren't you. Have you any idea what I do for a living? No, I'm senior tech in our University, and have been for over 18 years.
I'll come back to that

No windows in non Admin mode is not that restricting, run it as POWER USER and you're okay, and since SP2 a lot of functions will ask for the Admin password to use an admin status function. I know some software have problems in non Admin mode, but most have a resolve, i.e. Nero Burnin Rom has an add-on called Nero Burnin Rights that allow non admins to run it correctly.
Its restrictive not restrictive make your mind up, Like I say. I don't care

Just coz I missed a post only means I don't have the time to read every post on every thread, I don't live on here you know, I have a life and I'm busy on a complex web project for a customer at the moment. I suggest you follow my lead, pop down to Lives R us and get one of your own (This is an obvious joke so don't get a bee in your bonnet OK) BZZZZZ.
you replied to my first post.

A PC consisting of 5 parts, well yes an obvious fault like no video or a dead PSU is easy to diagnose, but when you start getting little intermittent faults that's when it gets fun, and it may not even be hardware either, some software related faults can look like hardware. When I first started in the Uni, we were going down to board level, There were no PCs on Campus, the rest were BBCs, Apricot F series, Amigas Cirius's and a lot of dumb terminals running RS232 from PADs. None of these were exactly modular like the modern PC, when we started to get PC's, we couldn't replace cards and drives as they were too expensive, we had to repair them ourselves. I used to spend ages realigning the heads on floppy drives as a 1.44mb drive was about £90. I stand by my previous post. I still bet I can repair a PC faster, people who say, well you just replace a card don't you, will come very stuck when they hit something really awkward. Just as a matter of fact here, Our department wanted all our Techs to get their A+ certificates, I got the 2nd highest mark on both the software and hardware exam the test centre had seen. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :D .
So 5 parts, If its not a hardware fault (replace/bin), your blaming windows.

A hardware firewall maybe only one layer of protection, but it's a bloody good one, you can't really hack it for one.
Its a layer of protection, or abstaction and nothing to do with windows/linux or the trees

Don't quote percentages of spyware/virus's on Linux and windows, there's no point. You really should have added the percentage of people running windows compared to Linux, this would have put it into perspective. It's a bit like saying that there are far more accidents that are car related compared to unicycles.
yes becuase windows/linux is 100,000 to 40(no its not), but have you ever thought how virus spead, its automated yeah virus are not OS predudiced. so the arguments a noncence. Remember worms are not

The Mandrake thing, here we go again, a Unix enthusiast droning on which is the BEST version, Hang on, didn't someone post that Linux was Linux and that something like Red hat or Mandrake was just a flavour? Comments please.
I would have thought you would be happy I am running Linux on one of my systems instead of flaming me for it, there's no pleasing some is there.
Don't care, I've always said choose a popular one, try several. My point was I wouldn't compare linux and say windows95 would I. Mandrake does not exist. http://www.mandriva.com/ it explains some of your comments.

On another point, because windows is the more popular choice for the consumer, there are presently lots of software and solutions that Linux cannot be the choice for. Here's an example: You cannot use Linux as the OS choice for an Audio workstation. For a start Steinberg or Sonars Pro Audio won't run on Linux, and sound card ASIO drivers are not available, or at least not as good. And no you cannot run one of them windows environments as you need every smidgen of CPU power. If you don't know why, please don't make any silly comments such as you don't need a powerful processor to play audio, as you won't know what you're talking about.
There we gowas that really so hard, Operating systems have there fair share of weaknesses. Audio is an area I know nothing about at all, not a thing. zilch. Video editing(playing from my experience is better) is poor too, judging by my pitiful efforts tonight.

Okay Cyclops, enough is enough, try and be nice from now on and and stop flaming everything I say. Is there something about me that annoys you? I bet it's because a girl is as good or maybe better than you at some areas of computing? if so it's pretty sad. Please be nice from now on, I may not know as much about Linux as you, but I don't think you know as much about windows as I. Lets kiss and make up (No tongues :D ).
It was offensive before its still offensive. Not only do I not care, I do not want to know.

Back