Windows Sucks. . . Is Linux Better?

Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 03:30 AM said:
the truth!
That's why I never mentioned 'emulator' anywhere in my post. I know what Wine is. Wine is still a translator. Apps do, always, in practice, run slightly slower through Wine. I never said that slight slowness was always noticeable, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 08:25 AM said:
My post actually has very little to do with linux hell I fancy a bit of http://www.reactos.com/
Its warmfluffys second dumb post. He's under some illusion that any machine is safe on the internet, not that there are just ways of limiting threats with no guarentees. He defends MicrosoftXP on its weaknesses not its strengths. Microsoft have got a lot of things right, they have not become a monopoly by there buisness ethics alone, but for whatever reason is plagued with nasties, and its going to get worse, no amount of protection is going to stop that.

women forum users do exist you know....

Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 12:21 PM said:
declaration posted on Sep 13 2005 at 10:53 AM said:
women forum users do exist you know....

And that changes what exactly? does that excuse *her* from being so conceated, and well wrong in the very real sence of the word. We all say stupid things, esp me, but really even I know when to shut up.
I never said it affected anything to do with the debate.

I'm sure if someone referred to you as "her", you'd correct them. I just corrected you and pointed out you shouldnt make assumptions as to a persons sex because they are interested in technology.

reaper79 posted on Sep 13 2005 at 09:55 PM said:
Awww, I'm sad I don't check the boards hourly... I arrive after work and I don't get to read Cyclop's posts. :(

Ah well, probably better that way.
good job he can't edit my quotes, eh? :p

Listen If you feel any better. I am quite prepared to continue this!

I removed my posts because I thought I was becoming what iignotus said I was

so I will reply to your post. I made a big post using quotes from appoprite sources, your comment was about gender. I'm sorry you feel the need to made the distinction. In a technical discussion. Its hardly appropriate.

good job he can't edit my quotes, eh?

iignotus: calling names means you have truly little to contradict.

I am perfectly happy to refill the quotes if you think its neccessery.

but the essence was simple, people who are not condecending, should be prepared to have all kinds of nasties on there computer, regardless of OS; what measures they have in place.

Cyclops posted on Sep 13 2005 at 11:26 PM said:
Listen If you feel any better. I am quite prepared to continue this!

I removed my posts because I thought I was becoming what iignotus said I was

so I will reply to your post. I made a big post using quotes from appoprite sources, your comment was about gender. I'm sorry you feel the need to made the distinction. In a technical discussion. Its hardly appropriate.

good job he can't edit my quotes, eh?

iignotus: calling names means you have truly little to contradict.

I am perfectly happy to refill the quotes if you think its neccessery.

but the essence was simple, people who are not condecending, should be prepared to have all kinds of nasties on there computer, regardless of OS; what measures they have in place.
excuse me cyclops, but it was clearly you who first made a sexual distinction by wrongly and foolishly calling a poster a man.
This clearly reinforces the stereotype that women are not expected to be interested in technology. YOU made the distinction.

And it's not just me who thinks so. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...18003&hl=female

Now, I thought I would just point the fact out to you in a non-aggressive manner originally, but you had to become stubborn and had to get all excited so lets just forget it now.

There is a big difference between distinction, and assumption think about the words, again really relavant in a os discussion.

As for reinforcing a stereotype, think a little about it. Think about your reply to me and the reply from her, and ask yourself what sterotype is being reinforced.

Before posting. I checked my facts, on many areas of the web, and posted snippets here. Becuase I made sure I was right before posting.

As for being stubbon. I left the discussion, deleted my post becuase I'm not too proud to walk away, but you dragged me back in with your highly offensive comments.

If I said anything that anyone with an interest in technology would find wrong please critasize.

reaper79: Your post added as much to the topic as my deleted ones, what does that tell you?

*back to the topic*

linux is definitely better than windows to those who are willing to invest a lot of time into it and enjoy fiddling around with computer stuff.

deadlychicken22 posted on Sep 13 2005 at 08:04 PM said:
*back to the topic*

linux is definitely better than windows to those who are willing to invest a lot of time into it and enjoy fiddling around with computer stuff.

I agree. I duel boot with Windows and Linux. I only go to the Windows side to use my scanner. My scanner is not supported under SANE. When I run upon one that is and I have the cash on hand, I'll buy it and will have no reason for Windows. I also use knoppixmame for playing arcade games. My computer stays booted to the Linux side. As for my two laptops they only run Linux. :p

how do you make your own drivers? If its not TOO hard I would probably switch my old computer over to linux, problem is, last time I did that I couldn't find any drivers for my wireless USB internet adapter, and without the internet there really isn't much to do on that computer.

I just tried a linux live CD, but then I remembered that I don't know how to mount a NTFS drive for it to see.
:lol:
Can anyone explain to me how this is done?
Also it didn't let me surf the net for some reason. :eek:

Back