wipeout and other stuff

ShadowHarlequin

Still Fresh
greetz
ok then would it be possible to do a port of the original wipeout on to the gp32 and possibly beef the graphics up?

also i would like to know can the gp32 use usb control devices? if not i think it would be a great idea if some one made a program to do this

and finally whre can i get cheapp (i mean less thenn £50) 256mb SMCs for the gp i should be getting one soon and making this kewl idea for a game i got.....

No, as there's no source code. They could remake it but the GP32 is not so hot for 3D graphics.

No, as it is a slave USB device.

Nobody knows of a 3.3v 256MB SMC.

right so u cant browse a harddrive with the gp either
its kinda lame not being able to use other controlers cant a usb extesion thingy be used

suppose ill havbe to get a 128mb then

Errm... 'fraid it lokos like you haven't read any of the stuff explaining exactly how this thing work. Which is fine; lots of people don't, but nonetheless needs some clearing up.

Firstly, on your last point, no 256mb SMC will work, as they are all 5volt jobs. We can only use 3 volt things, which means a limit of 128mb.

Secondly, whilst wipeout would ROCK for GP32, it's also proprietory and commercial software. Meaning if anyone was going to make it, they'd have to re-code the thing from scratch; a port would not be possible.

And beefing the graphics up before we've got proper 3D might be a problem, too. Its all very well to say that we ought to get them better, but before we've even got basic 3D working at a good speed (Ok, there's a bit of it - GoatPark32, 15DayCrap). Of course, you could always turn to Mode7, but then you're really thinking of F-Zero as a game to clone from, not Wipeout.

That said, I did hear some very early murmurings of plans of a Wipeout clone around Christmas time last - planned with no textures, but lots of polygons (textures = slow, untextured polygons = waaay faster). But when that will happen I don't know. Assuming it does.

ok any links to in depth stuff on the gp, i would read it if i could find it, and by beefing the graphics upi meant of wipeout as they are a bit poor. the game development software or watever, wheres is that aswell since i would like to have a gop at this idea i have fo a wipeout style game.

any awnsers on the usb question and browsing a hdd from the gp?

With the GP32 community being so small, the only way you are likely to get a game made for it would be to do it yourself

Why is it that people associate mode 7 with F-zero so much? Using Mode 7 doesn't mean that if you attempt to make a platformer with it it's gonna turn out just like F-zero.

I did a thread about the 'fat hammer' games engine for n-gage (same processor as gp, but less powerfull). one of the developers using their engine has done a wipeout clone called 'geopod' video is here: http://www.fathammer.com/games/games.shtml

if the N-gage can do this, so could the GP- but at a higher res. Iv'e emailed 'fathammer' about porting their engine to the GP ready for the euro launch, but as yet iv'e had no reply :( shame, red faction looks cool as well..

Hopefully they'll reply at some stage. Or Gamepark will find someone to make a decent 3D development engine anyway and hire them out. Which would be nice :D

ShadowHarlequin posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
any awnsers on the usb question and browsing a hdd from the gp?
The GP32's USB port is definitely unpowered, and possibly configured as slave-only (I've heard yes and no on this). Even if you could rig up an external power source and a portable HD, AND the USB port can be set to master, you'd still need drivers written speciffically for the task.

Even with this setup, the best you could do is transfer from the HD to the SMC and back. In order to run a program from an external HD, you'd probably need a re-written BIOS (if it could be done at all).

So the answer is probably either "no", or "extremely unlikely". Bear in mind that I only have a half-assed idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope gp32 gets some good 3d engines. It will open a whole new door to games... I knew that ngage had 3d graphics on most games, but i didnt know that it was the same type of cpu as gp32, only slower...

Back