Wiz Back On Sale

Good point - I just find the psp to bulky, I dont have a wiz I got a caanoo - but would of considered a wiz anyway... nearly bought one loads of times lol - glad I never as we have ginge so I´m happy with that, can see where your coming from though ;)

Knowing what I know now I would probably by a PSP. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wiz, and I think it could have been a great device. I think it just isn't made to be played as much as I play it. If someone plays it several hours a month, then by all means get a Wiz. If you're like me and play it several times a DAY, then a more durable system is needed.

darklight1138 said:
Knowing what I know now I would probably by a PSP. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wiz, and I think it could have been a great device. I think it just isn't made to be played as much as I play it. If someone plays it several hours a month, then by all means get a Wiz. If you're like me and play it several times a DAY, then a more durable system is needed.
I should probably warn you that you could be disappointed with the PSP if you're a hardcore MAME fan. Every handheld has it's weakness and with the PSP it's MAME. I believe the most popular build is based off a crappy Dreamcast port from many years ago. The DC had a few great emulators, but MAME was not one of them.

Fortunately, there are several CPS1, CPS2, Neo Geo, and FBA emulators that run close to perfect. Then you also have the official compilation packs that were ported to the PS1, PSP, and GBA.

A side benefit to all of this is that you can also play SNES ports like Mega Man & Bass and Yoshi's Island at roughly full speed in gpSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because someone got lazy on porting something, doesn't mean it's the PSP's fault. I don't like the PSP, but that's not really it's "fault". It's the lazy coders and the lack of care.

lnx64 said:
Just because someone got lazy on porting something, doesn't mean it's the PSP's fault. I don't like the PSP, but that's not really it's "fault". It's the lazy coders and the lack of care.
That's true and I agree, which is why I didn't fault the PSP for the lack of MAME support. It's just a weakness that I felt should be pointed out since MAME on the Wiz and Caanoo is quite a bit better. For some, MAME may be more important than PS1/PSP support. I'm just trying to give the guy a balanced view before he makes a decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've had my Wiz for a few days now, and I've gotta say, the only thing that kinda bugs me is that the LED pixels seem to vary somewhat in intensity, although I only really notice it when still images are on the screen or when I'm watching video. Everything else is great!

Glad you could join our ranks jmetal! I've had my Wiz for a few years now and still use it fairly regularly and I must say I favor it over the Caanoo, mainly because of the screen and overall size.

Back