Wiz Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Request: stronger autorun feature.
gp2xmenu should check the presence of an autorun.gpu file in /mnt/sd/ each time it is run, so that custom menus are viable alternatives to the stock one. This really should be easy to implement, and it would bring a lot of good things in return.

Please let GPH know of this WF :)

I think instead what it should do is just launch the app properly so that they return to the shell instead of relaunching it.

Of course, that'd mean the apps have to change.. better to get this sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, it seems that Picodrive glitches up when I turn off the system during a game with the new firmware update. (1.01)

Request: stronger autorun feature.
gp2xmenu should check the presence of an autorun.gpu file in /mnt/sd/ each time it is run, so that custom menus are viable alternatives to the stock one. This really should be easy to implement, and it would bring a lot of good things in return.
Please let GPH know of this WF :)

I think instead what it should do is just launch the app properly so that they return to the shell instead of relaunching it.

Of course, that'd mean the apps have to change.. better to get this sooner rather than later.

I think it's a bit late for such an important change, execing gp2xmenu at the end of a program/script has become nothing short of a standard. Ending up with mixed behaviours from different apps would do more harm than good, requiring annoying workarounds to accommodate each case.

If gp2xmenu itself would exec autorun.gpu each time it starts and not just at firmware boot-up, the cycle would be complete and we would know exactly what to count on.

I've started to notice lag in picodrive since I updated to firmware 1.01

Anyone else getting this problem?

Define lag.
Oh right, not really a term used for single player games, um...

The game stops alltogether, with a tiny trickle of music coming out, then stutters, then plays again normally. Happens once every... 10 minutes or so?

Also, I don't know if this is common or not, or if its supposed to happen, but whenever i put my SD card into the wiz, I need to restart before it reads it properly. Otherwise it just shows a couple fake folders.

Some problems I just ran into.

The scroll bar is very laggy. Do NOT hold the stylus down on the up or down buttons to scroll, it will register a million clicks and will take forever to stop.

Also, for some reason, while viewing a picture, I pushed the select button and it took me to the music folder? I guess thats for listening to music while viewing right? N/m disregard that one.

My wiz is the greatest gameplayer i have ever purchased. I have every gameboy every made (with a few exceptions, I never had the original ds or dsi). I also have a hacked a psp with snes. I love the screen size of the psp but it lacks portibility. My psp looses simply because it is proprietary. They updated the firmware to lock out hackers which set me off. Likewise with my zune, which i purchased over an ipod because of apples proprietariness (then my zune turned out to be almost just as bad). Anyways, after these evil propriety devices set me off for the last time I went looking for a homebrew linux based device. I found the wiz and I will never go back. It is the best electronic device i have ever owend so don't get me wrong when i list some possible improvements. I think with GPH's next device they need to find a happy medium by increasing the screen size but keeping it light and portable. My psp is to bulky to take with me anywhere but my wiz has a little to bit small of screen. I personaly don't care for BT or Wi-Fi but it would be nice to play multiplayer games over the internet. I love the design, alot of people think the buttons should be round but it does not effect play and i think it looks better. Also, I would like a nonproprietary connecter like mini usb or even regular usb.
I love the OLED display and last and most important i want them to be backward compatible. That way all the programs for the old device wont have to be rewriten.

general consensus from my consolesource.com thread is the USB cables are pure crap. Seems a lot of people are getting hack jobs for cables, including mine.

Just got mine today, running good. Just the usual suspects.
(I am on Firmware 1.0)
Screen tearing (not a big issue)
No global volume control (big issue, already had the office looking at me funny!)
Touch screen bowed in at the edges.

Would like a suspend function too.

After a bit of extended use, some extra suggestions:

-when playing video with 320x180 you get grey-white bars (here you have this wonderful oled screen than can get pitch-black and it gives you white bars).
-that long list of games is getting annoying, placing them in a grid like gmenu2x would be more comfortable.

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 21 2009 at 06:50 AM said:
I have been asked to provide feedback on the Wiz to GPH. Would you all be so kind and post your findings here please and I will pass them on. Please don't use this topic for rants or flaming. Also, don't post unless you actually own a production model as this isn't intended as a general discussion thread, but mainly for you to let GPH know what you think about your own Wiz.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and appropriate responses from GPH will be relayed back.

Thanks,
Clare.
Fix the screen tearing issue, i learn this from <link removed> , best regards

emphy said:
After a bit of extended use, some extra suggestions:

-when playing video with 320x180 you get grey-white bars (here you have this wonderful oled screen than can get pitch-black and it gives you white bars).
-that long list of games is getting annoying, placing them in a grid like gmenu2x would be more comfortable.

They probably do the white bars just like they do on plasma TVs, The pixels can experience un-even wear if some are hardly used while others are used often.

Instead of having them place them in a grid like Gmenu, they should make it so the wrapper (menu re-load) will work then we could actually use Gmenu2X.

Hi ! :)

I'm new on this forum, and I'm not a native english speaker, so I'll try my best to write in a readable english.
I've been using my Wiz for about one month now (I also own a GP32 and a GP2X F200), and here is my feedback:

+ the D-pad and the buttons are just awsome.
+ Battery life improved, compared to F200
+ perfect size to fit in your pocket
+ the device itself looks much more professional (I love the design)

- screen tearing (I really hope the next firmware will fix this problem)
- lots of issues with the touch screen
- video player better on F200 (didn't need to convert)
- no .srt support (wich, again, F200 had)

I don't want to write a long list of things that probably can't be fixed, but I really hope they will do something about the screen issues, and the video player.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back