Wiz Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neo Zero said:
- video player better on F200 (didn't need to convert)
- no .srt support (wich, again, F200 had)

I've heard that video playback is better when you upgrade to Firmware 1.1.0.
Conversion is a good idea to save space anyway, you only need QVGA video, not VGA.

What's .srt anyway?
Edit: Ah, subtitle support, that would be great to have.

Superb english by the way, I didn't see any problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you ask GPH to implement Notaz and Exophase solution to screen tearing into the latest firmware and undo their own attempts which seemed to have slowed the menus down

Some feedback about the skins.

GPH, Those Wiz skins are just awesome.
Very easy to apply and very strong, not cheap stuff.

Here are some pictures.
Click here for more Gold Dragon Skin pictures

I sure hope some more awesome skins pop-up, great value.
Ok, i think it's a personal flavor :) you like it or not, but i do. It keeps the wiz safe from scratches and other stuff.

DSC00666.JPG

DjoeN said:

Here are some pictures.

Ok, i think it's a personal flavor :) you like it or not, but i do. It keeps the wiz safe from scratches and other stuff.

You can get these in 6 different designs from a seller on Ebay called 'gp2x-wiz' (from Spain), he also sells Wiz's, leather cases,accessory sets and screen protectors.
I've ordered stuff from him and he ships quickly and he combines postage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP2X-Wiz-Metal-Sticker-6-custom-models-to-choose_W0QQitemZ180379145502QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item29ff6f551e&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177&_trkparms=%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The picture on his Ebay page is only black & white though!

I think GPH people MUST improve for their next update : the french translation !!

"la carte d'écart-type éjectent" doesn't mean anything, and it's just unbearable !
Please ask French people before doing such a thing ;)

maybe GPH should answer there emails, I've sent "someone" whoever has there email on the official website questions about getting my usb cable replaced and I've yet to get an answer back.

Consolesource STILL doesn't have the replacement cables and it's been over 2 weeks now since GPH I thought said something about getting them shipped out.

DjoeN said:

Here are some pictures.

DSC00666.JPG

That is one sexy wiz...

I ordered a skin from him but he told me shipping takes approx 2 weeks :(

Oh well

This is my first day owning the Wiz so I don't have that many suggestions.

1. Rattling buttons.

2. Reeeallly wish for a USB mini B or micro B connection. Anything that is sometype of common connection. The current fit doesn't feel tight.

That game is called Her Knights. You can find it here.
One thing I'd like to see.. even though it's pretty minor.. is a way to accept the settings in the main menu instead of having to hit the check mark with the stylus/fingertip.

The power switch is a little odd to turn off and on too.

It's been a few days since I received my Wiz and I think it's time for a first round of feedback.

Hardware:
I'm assuming I got a fully functional Wiz with no manufacturing defections, but I might be wrong.
  • Have more consistency with buttons:
    • L feels different than R
    • Select feels different than Menu
    • Down feels different than the other directions
    • B feels different than A, X, Y
    Although this doesn't create problems while gaming, in menus I often find myself waiting for something to happen when I actually didn't hit the button properly.
  • L and R should be smooth, like the others, and not clicking. Not only the sound can be annoying, they also require an excessive (relatively to how much is needed for the other buttons) amount of force to activate. Using the D-pad while holding L is very uncomfortable.
  • The volume buttons are very hard to reach while doing other stuff. Obviously they weren't designed for gameplay, but they are actually used in many ports of PC games.
  • Overall the buttons feel great when playing.
  • USB port and headphones jack's placement are perfect and they don't create problems when using the console.
  • Battery life is great, but I'd like to be able to buy a spare one to use as a backup. Maybe a "smaller" one.
  • Touchscreen rarely works on the edges and corners, precision in other areas is pretty good with proper calibration.

Software:
  • I don't like the menu.
    • Remove the Built-in and Flash Games icons and include them in a 'Games' icon.
    • Improve customizability: I like to organize my stuff separating games and applications, but right now only stuff in the 'game' folder can get a direct link with ini files.
    • Scrolling items is too slow, not enough items in a screen. Opt for a tiled list instead of rows.
  • I agree the tearing issue is somewhat unacceptable, but I tried a lot of games (from Atari 2600 to fully rendered 3D graphics) and, although noticeable, it never created me any problems.
  • Some people complained that volume gets reset when switching application. It appears to me that this happens because the volume is only controlled via software, meaning that programmers have to map them to change volume levels. This also means that they can be used for other stuff as well (open menu in gpfce, change in weapons in prboom, etc...). I'm not sure this could be possible if they were implemented as hardware controls.

That's it for now, I'm pretty sure I forgot something - I'll add it in the second round.

Please oh Please incorporate the touch features with the added games/emulators...

Come with an actual Wiz manual. Geez people. A diagram ain't enough for us n00bs!

Also, a little background on the wide world of Emus, because it's a learning curve.

GP Supported Emus. Give the gift that keeps on giving. (Money) to peeps like Squidge and Notaz. They make your system worth something.

can't find good flash games play on my wiz.
Many flash games can't run well.
Any suggestion?

I love this system. Nostalgia-city for me because I get to play all the games I grew up with as a kid, on-the-go to boot.

One thing I noticed about the Wiz is that certain parts of it "feel" fragile. The USB cable connection and the spring-loaded power button. I feel like I'm going to break either if I don't treat them delicately. Why not use a Mini-B USB connection (like the cell phone manufacturers are adopting now)?

Even the best PC systems with the fastest components can realize a 10% - 20% overclocking from spec. How is the Wiz able to run at 950 MHz when it's rated at 533 MHz? Is that true O/C-ing? Wouldn't it need some cooling system that far beyond spec? What kind of RAM can keep up with the processor at that rate?

The NAND flash, is it MLC or SLC? SLC is good for 100k writes, while MLC lifespan is only 3k-10k. That's a big difference. It would be helpful to know.

Other than that, the Wiz is awesome. It could use a file manager to delete files (ROMS) that aren't working. The Orange GUI is fine, it reminds me of Ubuntu. Navigation is good.

I understand GPH has only been at this handheld "game" for a few years. Look at the Gameboy compared to the DSi (almost 20 years of maturity).

Keep up the good work guys. Chose the Wiz over a PSP GO.

Hello folks.
Personally I bought a Wiz after my Dingoo A320's Dingux local got messed up for the seventh time.
I liked being able to play MAME and FBA, but didn't like all the maintenance associated with a Dingux install.

I'm very impressed with the Wiz.
The build quality is beautiful.

Drag-and-drop convenience when loading the memory card with apps or emulators is great.

The menus and such need some refining, as does the implementation of the touch screen.
(It feels like a tacked-on feature that even GPH doesn't know what to do with.)
GMenu2x is a must-have, and hints at what it possible on this thing.

As far as playing emulators, the thing is great.
It runs strong, and can run even stronger via overclocking albeit at the cost of battery life.

Overall it has replaced the Dingoo as my "daily driver", however I find it ironic that the Dingoo still outperforms the Wiz when it comes to 8-bit emulation!

Give the Wiz Dingoo's community, Dingoo's Media Player, and Dingoo's 8-bit emulation and it could become the powerhouse that GPH would love it to be.
It's a great portable!

My feedback for the WIZ: PLEASE GIVE US THE CABLES NEEDED TO GET A CONSOLE!

Its such a nuisance trying to develop apps for the Wiz without having a console, that I've just given up in favour of other machines. I'll use the Wiz as a port target, but only when I know for sure that the code is supposed to already be working .. without a console, the Wiz is really quite a nuisance to develop for ..

LinWinWiz said:
Even the best PC systems with the fastest components can realize a 10% - 20% overclocking from spec. How is the Wiz able to run at 950 MHz when it's rated at 533 MHz? Is that true O/C-ing? Wouldn't it need some cooling system that far beyond spec? What kind of RAM can keep up with the processor at that rate?

There are far from hard and fast "rules" about overclocking. Several PC CPUs have been well known for overclocking far beyond 10-20%, especially ones that aren't near the top of their binning. People have been able to overclock PC CPUs by more than 2x without using special cooling. That aside, I haven't heard of anyone who gets a 950MHz overclock, 850MHz seems more the upper limit, with 750MHz or lower being what you see for some people. When it comes to mobile solutions stock clock speeds are going to sometimes be more conservative because they're trying to achieve a lower baseline battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back