Caanoo / WIZ Wiz Game Engine

kurtkz

Hey all,

I've been lurking around these forums since receiving my Wiz in April (it was a bit of a mission and a bit pricey seeing as I'm in South Africa). I figured that since I have some down time at the moment, I should probably contribute something to the community...so I decided to develop a 2D/3D game engine for the Wiz that is built on top of the DaVinci "game engine" (really just utility classes). Dev is going a little slowly since I haven't used C++ since around 2003, but I've completely a large chunk already:

- key-frame animated meshes
- animated sprites
- bitmap fonts
- screenshot grabbing/recording
- .KTX (Khronos texture) support
- UI system
- menu system (simple, radial)
- screen transition effects (wipes, fades)
- 2D + 3D camera
- touchscreen gestures
- scriptable materials
- spatial hierarchies (octree + quadtree + 2D layered)
- batch optimized sprite renderer
- batch optimized mesh renderer
- batch optimized text renderer
- GLES lighting (point, spot) with importance light sorting
- blob shadows (automatically aligns to surface normal and scaled according to distance)
- 2D/3D particle systems with particle batching
- mesh collision detection (AABB-AABB, OBB-OBB, OBB-triangle, sphere-triangle, sphere-AABB, sphere-OBB)
- camera->focal object occlusion detection & correction
- physics controller for dynamic and static collision handling & resolution (with collision callbacks)
- sound + music support
- simple 2D/3D positional audio

I plan on writing the editors in C# once the engine is done. I've started on the file format converters:

- Quake MDL support (grouped frames are unsupported currently)
- Quake MD2 support
- DeleD scene support
- WaveFront OBJ scene support (multiple objects, material files as well, Blender export works too - subdivides large meshes)
- WaveFront OBJ model support
- basic VRML 1.0 support
- converts raw images recorded in engine to animated GIFs

Cheers
Kurt

Could you tell me more about this engine? Is it an RPG engine? Is it a platform game engine? Is it an arcade style engine? Fighting style engine? Is it an engine like quake or doom game?

foody said:
Could you tell me more about this engine? Is it an RPG engine? Is it a platform game engine? Is it an arcade style engine? Fighting style engine? Is it an engine like quake or doom game?

Hi foody,

it's not a particular *type* of game engine - more a generic engine. Think of it as something along the lines of Panda3D or Irrlicht.

Cheers
Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
kurtkz said:
foody said:

Hi foody,

it's not a particular *type* of game engine - more a generic engine. Think of it as something along the lines of Panda3D or Irrlicht.

Cheers
Kurt
Awesome!!!

Hey all,

just a quick heads-up that development is still continuing on this project. So far I've added MDL and MD2 format support and it looks pretty good. I'll be adding MD3 and MD5 model support in the next few days as well as DeleD and Wavefront support for game environments. Please check the first post for detailed updates.

Cheers
Kurt

Hi all,

another small update - I've just added support for DeleD scene files and it works beautifully :) If you haven't checked out DeleD yet, Google it. I'll post a video as soon as the missus tells me where her camera is :p

Cheers
Kurt

tried it out yesterday. works fluent, no stuttering. scene is a bit dark but could make some nice doom-like FPS :)
i just couldn't figure out what the text on the top-left corner meant.

do you have some view-frustum-culling support, too?

crow_riot said:
tried it out yesterday. works fluent, no stuttering. scene is a bit dark but could make some nice doom-like FPS :)
i just couldn't figure out what the text on the top-left corner meant.

do you have some view-frustum-culling support, too?

Thanks for the feedback, crow_riot. Yup, there's no GL lights in the scene, but there's lightmapping (multitexturing works nicely). It's actually a 3D scene that comes with DeleD. Yes, there's view frustum culling in the form of an octree (there's also support for KD-trees). I'm reworking the font code a bit so that it's legible :p

Cheers
Kurt

huh you got multitexturing to work? i struggeled with that, i couldnt get it to work, i always got messy texcoords on the second layer, first one was always working fine. :blink:

crow_riot said:
huh you got multitexturing to work? i struggeled with that, i couldnt get it to work, i always got messy texcoords on the second layer, first one was always working fine. :blink:

Yup, multitexturing works just like it does in desktop OpenGL (this engine is basically a quick port of my PC engine). If you want, you can PM me the texturing code and I can take a look?

uhm i think i just found the bug ... giving a stride of UV .... though my elements are not padded ... stupid me. the curiosity is though, that i also have the stride on the first layer and it doesnt make any difference ....

*edit* removed code to avoid confusion ;)

well it works now, i just tried it again :)

the problem was not the padding but mixing static array buffers with non buffered components. in fact, when you're using static index buffers with dynamic other ones doesnt work. so dont make static index buffers if you get weird drawing issues ;)

OK, after adding mesh-mesh collision detection, I think I finally have the basics I need to create a full game. Only problem now is...content. Does anyone know of a website with good, free, low poly, textured meshes?

@crow_riot: I didn't notice you were mixing VBO's and arrays. Good catch!

kurtkz said:
OK, after adding mesh-mesh collision detection, I think I finally have the basics I need to create a full game. Only problem now is...content. Does anyone know of a website with good, free, low poly, textured meshes?

there are some 3d artists around here, too. a good start to ask for anyone would proably be the 256x256x256 thread.

Thanks crow_riot, I had a look through that page a few days ago and will definitely contact some people there once I have a demo(s) up and running. At the moment a 3D golf/mini-golf and 3D shooter are top of my priority list.

welcome ... if you find some good free models elsewhere, let me know; i'm always in need of some testing models. luckily for my last project (audiorace) a company mate helped out with modelling. i've found some free model pages, but imo, most of the free stuff is not looking really good.

Agreed, there's lots of free models out there, but they're mostly horrific :) The guys on this board (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232&page=31) do AMAZING work, but their services are pretty pricey.

kurtkz .. what are you looking for? I can help you out a bit with the 3D stuff.

Back