Wizzley Presto And The Mysterious Time Machine

No iPhone or iPod Touch here, so I'm just queueing up waiting for the Pandora version now. :p

Spooky how this game appeared so soon on iTunes after I created this topic, I must be psychic.

How long will it take to port it to Pandora? oh and when you gonna start? ;)

andyB911 said:
I just don't get the fanboi attitude - either for or against apple stuff. Somehow there is an attitude that if you are a 'real' IT geek/nerd then its cool to hate the iphone/ipad (I think macs might be allowed).

Well, I don't like devices where companies claim those are the greatest and newest things when most stuff was there before (just with a different navigation) and those things can't even do proper multitasking (like starting an RSS feed reader and while that one gets the feeds, do some webbrowsing) - especially if they cost a fortune and people think they're cheap (my HTC with custom OS can do more and was cheaper).

I also don't like companies where employees eventually meet the boss somewhere in the office and while smalltalking he asks what project you are working on - the decides that project won't be needed anymore and you lose your job the same day (yep, happned a few times).

I also don't like companies who try to produce for as low price as possible, accepting that people kill themselves while doing that, but try to keep it even lower. And then selling that stuff for tons of USD.
Yep, Foxconn lives from producing Apple stuff, has 300.000 employees (AFAIK) and quite a few problems with employees killing themselves (because the fear the wrath of Apple when something went wrong (like losing a prototype) or because they have to work hard for low amount of money).
Foxconns solution? Build higher fences so that it's harder to kill yourself.

And now Foxcoon is moving because the wages are too high in Shenzen...

No, can't say I like or will ever support such things.

Last edited:
Yeah he probably will. I might have a look at this WebOS... but I have a mac.

you ..... have ....... a ......... MAC? :angry: RIGHT!, what's your order numb.......er....never mind :huh: .

if you are so hard up I can send you a decent(ish) laptop with Ubuntu installed, you really need a proper computer if you are going to run a technology based company, I mean, what if you where seem with a >redacted< in public?, think of the shame, the vengeful mobs bearing torches and pitchforks as they bear down on castle Craigix, the Daily fail articles, the campaigns in the SUN newspaper.

get a grip man, your BRITISH! :D

andyB911 said:
Perky_Goth said:

davidgro said:
I would say that a lot of the people who have interest in the Pandora don't have interest in the iDevices for a few specific reasons, such as:
  • stuff

That and they're expensive and outdated within a year. Consoles not so much (barring the ps3, which is still expensive).

I agree they are are expensive - but that doesn't make it crap. Just expensive.

Not so sure about outdated within a year - using this very game as an example, new software is still being made to run on the original iphone (this game runs on the original 2G phone per Craig). Wonder how many other 3/4 year old phones are still so actively supported.

Its locked down - which has its problems but easily overcome if thats a priority. And the screen res / usb host etc are relatively minor issues in the real world for most.

And when you remember its a phone not a console the lack of controls are understandable - no phone has good controls (ngage rip).

I just don't get the fanboi attitude - either for or against apple stuff. Somehow there is an attitude that if you are a 'real' IT geek/nerd then its cool to hate the iphone/ipad (I think macs might be allowed).

In my mind, good gadgets are good gadgets whoever makes them, but to support or hate a brand of gadgets passionately without taking each on its merits, like supporting a football team, seems bizarre.

I won't respond to individual points here, except the one about the fanboi attitude:

I think much of comes from genuine personality differences. Perhaps it's left vs right brain, or aesthetics vs functional oriented. I agree that "good gadgets are good gadgets whoever makes them" but by my criteria (which obviously differ from yours) the Apple portable gadgets aren't good. (yet. They are getting a little better, copy+paste and multitasking are examples of some improvements, but to me the hardware design is not.)

For me it's not about brand loyalty/hatred: As you say, no phone (yet) has good controls, which is one of the (many) reasons why I'm here instead of the Nokia N900 forums (formerly Internet Tablet Talk, which was one of my favorite hangouts as a 770 and then N800 user). And before that, Palm stopped designing non-phones, and I had left them too for that and other (gadget quality) reasons.

(Pre-post "edit": I wasn't even considering the stuff ED mentioned. That's in addition to my evaluation of the devices based on merit)

Last edited by a moderator:
hobbyman II said:

you ..... have ....... a ......... MAC? :angry: RIGHT!, what's your order numb.......er....never mind :huh: .

if you are so hard up I can send you a decent(ish) laptop with Ubuntu installed, you really need a proper computer if you are going to run a technology based company, I mean, what if you where seem with a >redacted< in public?, think of the shame, the vengeful mobs bearing torches and pitchforks as they bear down on castle Craigix, the Daily fail articles, the campaigns in the SUN newspaper.

get a grip man, your BRITISH! :D

I have a Pandora micro computer.

The mac is my girlfriends computer.

I'm seriously not in to owning technology, I don't even have a TV. I do however enjoy reading about technology, past, present and future.

Hey Craig, it seems to run fine on my ipod touch. It is a current gen 32gb model with 4.0 installed. I watched your vid, and my game runs just as smooth as yours. The only flaw I see currently, is that the voices don't appear to be loud enough. But that seems to just be the way they are, and not really a defect per se. It would be nice to turn up the voice, and turn the bg music down.

In regards to the Apple elite VS. the rest, I have been against Apple products for years, although I loved them back in the apple II days(great fun). Anyway, I have always hated the way they make you do basic things in the way they want it done, I'm like fuck that, so I boycotted for years until I finally gave in and got an ipod touch 32gb a few months ago.

I only use it for games, PERIOD! I have hundreds of great/good games for the price of 2-3 ds/psp games, so that is wonderful, but until 4.0os came out, I couldn't even have them all on my device, that has got to be the dumbest shit I had ever seen. I have a 32gb device, but there is a set number of apps I can have on it? WTF!?

I'm sorry, but no one can defend that kind of stupidity, you just can't. And if someone doesn't see that as a problem, I know why you must love Apple. <_< I only had to wait about a month for a fix to that problem, but my first gen buddy still can't correct it because he can't run 4.0, another slap in the face. He has been a loyal fan for years, trying to convert me to the darkside, but now he is getting fed up with Apples business model.

I do love this device for what it does well, as I actually only use it to game, I'm sure my complaints are small compared to others who do music and vids and run it as a phone, but if the day should ever come that I can't run the majority of apps released, I'm fairly sure I will not buy another Apple product unless they really just change the way the do things. I would love for them to release a fully dedicated gaming handheld(as competition is alwyas good), but knowing Apple the way I do, who knows how well that will work in the long run! :lol:

Chris

craigix said:
I have a Pandora micro computer.
Not entirely on-topic, but for some nostalgic, geeky reason I'm glad to see this term being revived here. :lol: If you didn't, I was going to - I've been reminded of the old microcomputers ever since mine first arrived. :p

jumpman said:
The only flaw I see currently, is that the voices don't appear to be loud enough. But that seems to just be the way they are, and not really a defect per se.
Yeah I'm noticing this. Also, the voice volume seems to vary, eg the Witch's voice is quieter than Wizzley's.

Actually I'm a pc guy..windoze for most stuff. I dual boot Ubuntu but don't really use the Linux boot much. Some things about Linux seem unnecessarily complex. i.e. Grub changing the default boot OS every time the kernal changes (yeah, I finally figured out setting default by "name" but it should be that way by default or at least selectable, editing some read only file then running another program to implement the change in the conf file seems over complicated to me. IMO Notepad > VI... /shrug.

The IPad for me was about the form factor, and the battery life. Also I can't get my wife to pay attention to a 'real' computer. With the IPad just click the "app for that" - easy and not intimidating. All she needs to know is what the app does, click it and generally most are intuitive enough for her to just use. So for me, the IPad was a stopgap device until I get my Pandy - then the boss can take ownership of the IPad.

The IPad ended up to be more useful and enjoyable than I expected though. It's a great coffee table device...I leave it sit there, any IM's/Tweets/Email pop through with push (IM+) - Jukefly is great for streaming my music collection - I can stream the ball game or whatever's on) from my TV upstairs using ZodTTD's Streamer app, Dropbox, IKeePass, VNC, RDP, Skype, AirVideo (for on demand streaming of my local video files) round out the stuff I use a LOT.

It's also very convenient for casual stuff actually, surfing the net, email, simple games or games designed specifically for touch control - not much it can't do if you look long enough for an app that really serves your needs. If you've never used an IPad set up by a somewhat saavy user, you may be short changing it's usefulness and how much 'fun' it is to use.

Let's just say it's better than I expected... I may miss it once I hand ownership over to my loving wife.

I just completed it! Am I the first??

It says 'email us here' on the website but I can't find the address!

Craig I messaged you what happened at the end, although your inbox is always stuffed (oo er) so I hope you get it.

But may I say, even if I didn't win I immensely enjoyed playing that! It was bloody perfect in every way. Fellas, if you're in any doubt take my word for it, it's a fantastic game!

Well done, Sugar_Kane. And good luck!
grin.gif

Sugar_Kane said:
I just completed it! Am I the first??

It says 'email us here' on the website but I can't find the address!

Craig I messaged you what happened at the end, although your inbox is always stuffed (oo er) so I hope you get it.

But may I say, even if I didn't win I immensely enjoyed playing that! It was bloody perfect in every way. Fellas, if you're in any doubt take my word for it, it's a fantastic game!

Wow well done mate! that was quick! Was the challenge difficult at the end.. I mean was it hard enough to warrant $1500

Well it's all about puzzles really, a bit of skill to avoid certain enemies, but it was all logical and very satisfying. I didn't find it super hard, but it was taxing, and it shredded my nerves a couple of times. I don't want to say anything that will spoil the game for others though. It reminded me of 'within in a deep forest' and niflas' other games like Knytt, bags of character.

I haven't really encountered many puzzles as such, just a fair bit of 'pick this up to open this' etc. I'm only halfway into the second chapter though, so maybe I haven't seen all of the gameplay elements.

Edit: I might also add that the $1500 idea was poorly set up. It was obviously meant so that more people would buy the game to try for the money. The game was solved in less than 12 hours though, so that prize money no longer appeals to a potential customer :S. Ah well, it's probably a pretty hard thing to do right because of Apple's spadoric approval process.

craigix said:
quote said:
craigix said:
Hmmm I was considering just offering the 'port' rights to other people for other systems... (aside from the Pandora).
Zod could do Android? He's pretty active on that platform atm.

Well, the webOS SDK is available for Mac, Linux and Windows. Here is the Mac version: http://developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=page&id=1545&Itemid=55
Many people have said that it's very easy to get iOS apps up and running on webOS, sometimes in a couple hours. I'm not a developer so I can't really tell you how belivable these claims are but it's probably worth taking a look at. Especially since Palm is supporting developers a lot at the moment and there aren't too many games in the app catalog, yet, because publishing C/C++ apps is only just becoming available for normal developers. (EA, Glu and Gameloft got a few games in early.)

Well those are the puzzles, you have to work out which object needs to be used where, bit like prince of the yolk folk.

I'm not sure I'm going to find out if I've won! I'm leaving to go on holiday to Germany in the morning, although we're driving so technically I won't have left the country until the afternoon. Our man Rothwell seems to have a life outside of the forums, damn his eyebrows.

I'm a big dizzy fan from the Amiga days I just bought and have played for 15 mins, I just jumped off to give a little feedback, the game has a very nice feel to it very well presented and very nice graphics sound and speech text boxes. Sometimes home made games come across cheep but not here. Would definatly recommend very retro..

Oh yeah I play on an iPhone 3GS 4.0 and plays the same as in craigs video so no issues there

WOW! voice acting in an iphone game. did you hire someone or do them yourself?

Back