Wlan Protections

Gaeryc

Website
Visit site
So what kind of wlan protections will pandora be able to use? It sucks that at my school they always use the latest, so if pandora only supports wep I can't use teh internet in school.

Wap is something that evolves all the time, like other protections that may come. Can pandora support future standards by software?

Gaeryc said:
Wap is something that evolves all the time, like other protections that may come. Can pandora support future standards by software?
Pandora is supposedly going to support the Debian ARM packages. Debian is one of the top Linux distros (though sligntly more server oriented than desktop) Which means there's going to be a LOT of potential software that will be able to run on it. It's VERY close to being a full pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose most people will "use" wep on the go cause of its "strong encryption" *hint hint* :)

Dies anyone know if the chipset works with aircrack? :)

I use WEP on my router only because there's no encryption ready for personal use that can't be cracked and because some devices I own cannot connect to anything better than WEP.

javaJake said:
I use WEP on my router only because there's no encryption ready for personal use that can't be cracked and because some devices I own cannot connect to anything better than WEP.
WEP is cracked far more easily than the WPA methods.

WEP is OK if your router doesn't send out its SSID, and the SSID is a random jumble of characters (It's difficult to connect to something you don't know exists...)

Squidge said:
WEP is OK if your router doesn't send out its SSID, and the SSID is a random jumble of characters (It's difficult to connect to something you don't know exists...)
Thanks for the tip :D
I need to use wep because DS supports only it.

Vimacs said:
Dies anyone know if the chipset works with aircrack? :)
If the pandora can support aircrack, kismet monitoring etc. without too much messing around then i will almost definitely buy it...

for my network security testing obviously.

Squidge said:
Most network sniffers can find SSID hidden access points easily. IIRC KisMac does this.

yaustar said:
Most network sniffers can find SSID hidden access points easily. IIRC KisMac does this.
Is there a KisPC? Just as KisMac requires a Mac, so basically there's no threat to security there ;)

WEP ain't secure by any standard:

Using init vector methods(it's transmitted in plain text, after all, so all you need to do is flip a bit in the cypher text and see what it spits out to analyze what method it uses to scramble and combine it with brute force) you can get the key to decrypt the packets, which can contain the mac address of the sender(if a sender is connected) bypassing MAC filtering through MAC spoofing.

Also, even though turning off SSID works to prevent you from knowing what the connection is, using a packet sniffing software tool, you can again grab the packets from a connected PC which will contain the SSID.

WPA2 does use some hardware, IIRC, to do some decrypting, but that hardware has been pretty much built into any wireless chipset for the last few years.

Nintendo, from all outward appearances, is just now learning what an "Internet" is, so that probably explains the lack of WPA on the DS.

Back