Wlan Router Recommendations

Fishbong

man of poor reputation
Website
Visit site
So i´m moving into a shared flat with some of my friends in a month or so. We´re going to get cable internet and still need a Wlan router. In the past, i have often experienced that if a couple of PCs are connected to a modem through a router and one of them is running some P2P client, the internet connection is very slow for the others even when the down- and upload speed is considerably below the maximum speed of the internet connection. I assume its the number of connections that overstrain the modem.
Of course i still want to use P2P but without compromising the internet connection of the others.

So are there any routers or cable modems that can handle P2P without sacrificing speed for the other stuff? Or which can prioritize http over anything other? Or even give each computer the same portion of the bandwidth?

TL,DR i want to connect 4 PCs to the same internet access without the possibility that one hogs up all the bandwidth.

Make your router a linux box then you can prioritise and throttle bandwidth till the cows come home, and it'll even do the NAT for you, as well as file serving and web proxying.

you want to have a router which does qos and has a decent cpu in it.
Get something dd-wrt or tomato runs on, maybe a wrt54g(l), watch out to get a decent version thou wrt54gs version 3.0 or below is preferred. (30-50€ on ebay)

Vimacs said:
you want to have a router which does qos and has a decent cpu in it.
Get something dd-wrt or tomato runs on, maybe a wrt54g(l), watch out to get a decent version thou wrt54gs version 3.0 or below is preferred. (30-50€ on ebay)
Why is it important to have a v3.0 or below wrt54gs? Can i downgrade it or are those hardvare versions?
EDIT: OK, i read up on it. v3 seems to be the way to go.

Anyway, i´ll read up on dd-wrt and tomato.

Using a linux box is out of the question it consumes too much power, is bothersome to set up and i don´t have an old computer i could use for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a WRT54GS or L. They are fantastic routers, especially with dd-wrt which is incredibly powerful router software. For about £30 you can get a router which does everything you'd expect from a £100 or £200 router.

Back