Wolf3d For Gp2x

EvilDragon posted on Dec 9 2005 at 01:13 PM said:
OrR posted on Dec 9 2005 at 02:42 AM said:
Wikipedia:
Die Beschlagnahmung ist mittlerweile verjährt.
So, no need to worry.

Yep, that's what Wikipedias Author thinks.
I don't know how he came to this conclusion, but the time it needs for games on the index to be allowed again is 25 years (and Wolf3D is NOT from 1980) and if a game is illegal it stays that way.

As said, talked about this with the guys from the "Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Schriften".
Correct the Wiki entry then! :)
Rayek posted on Dec 9 2005 at 01:21 PM said:
wait, but the port has no textures in it. is it illegal to even reference anything that COULD have textures containing swatstikas? if so, then a doom2 port wouldn't be allowed, because of the link i posted above...

you wouldn't be supplying the textures in question in either cases, why is one legal and why isn't the other?
That is a good question. In this case the problem is not directly that there are swastikas in the game but that a court decided to ban it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek posted on Dec 9 2005 at 01:21 PM said:
wait, but the port has no textures in it. is it illegal to even reference anything that COULD have textures containing swatstikas? if so, then a doom2 port wouldn't be allowed, because of the link i posted above...

you wouldn't be supplying the textures in question in either cases, why is one legal and why isn't the other?

I'm not even allowed to post the name anywhere.
Nothing to do with textures or anything.

And Doom would be legal without any WADs because Doom simply is not allowed for people under 18 in Germany, while Wolf3D is illegal for everybody.

Last edited:
oh, i think i understand now. so even the snes game which doesn't have the swatstikas can't be distributed, etc on any german servers. it doesn't make any sense, but i think i understand.

Just uploaded a new set of binaries to the sourceforge site, it now has wolf3d (full & shareware) and SOD (full & demo), it's now full screen (or atleast better fitting the screen) and you can answer yes to questions with the Y button on the controller. I've still got a bit more stuff to figure out yet but I'm slowly getting there (like I want to make the L and R buttons strafe like in the gp32 version)

So go check it out ;)

Thanks so much for doing this... I wasn't a Quake or DOOM kid, I was a Wolfenstein kid. This is the first of the ports that really makes me feel nostalgic! I just re-bought Wolf3D from 3dRealms in feverish anticipation!

Yep, I was a wolf3d kid too :) playing it for hours on a B&W 286 laptop (the GP2X owns that thing :p) I just reupdated it with strafing using the L & R buttons and select as change weapon also, sorry to do that so quick on ya it's just I realised I could get it done really quick so I did.

Don't worry about out-updating me... I don't have my GP2X yet! I'm getting an official release 2X.

Hooka posted on Dec 11 2005 at 04:58 AM said:
Yep, I was a wolf3d kid too :) playing it for hours on a B&W 286 laptop (the GP2X owns that thing :p) I just reupdated it with strafing using the L & R buttons and select as change weapon also, sorry to do that so quick on ya it's just I realised I could get it done really quick so I did.

Cool, but could you maybe put the data files in their own directory such as "wolf3d" or something like that to keep them together though. Dumping everything in the root directory is a mess mixed with all of the other files. It is hard to tell which files go with what and if I want to remove them picking through everything is kind of a pain.

It looks a bit dark to me maybe a brightness option could be added someday.

looks good so far, Thanks.

DaveC you could throw them all in seperate dirs, they don't have to be in the root but I'll try and get it to use some sort of hard path when I get a chance but for now it's wherever the .gpe is.

And in a few minutes v0.2 will be released

i have a question, which patch does i need for wolf3d?

i have no patch installed and i cant play it at the gp2x, i go to the menu and there are only graphics bugs

and the otherthing, where get i tha patch, i've looked at ftp.idsoftware.com but i doesnt found a patch for wolf3d

ok, you need the linux version vgafiles... Flav0r has them available on his site here ;)

DaveC: give me some time and I'll try and get something going but for now I have some schoolwork to do ;)

Hooka posted on Dec 11 2005 at 06:07 AM said:
DaveC you could throw them all in seperate dirs, they don't have to be in the root but I'll try and get it to use some sort of hard path when I get a chance but for now it's wherever the .gpe is.

And in a few minutes v0.2 will be released

How about like this:

The .GPE in the root.

data files in:

/Wolf3d/SWwolf
/Wolf3d/SODwolf
...etc

The names can be different from mine just the structure is the suggestion. This way the data files for each game can be kept separate in their own directories in the Wolf3D dir and the executable can be put in root to show up with the other executables. It keeps things clean that way IMHO.

Back