Wonderswan Emulator

jlenoconel

Is there a possibility of a Wonderswan emulator for Caanoo. Never really played it and would like to give it a try.

Thanks.

I'd love one too. But I don't think a fully working Wonderswan emulator exists on portables yet.

How would someone go about porting an emulator on the Caanoo? Is it hard or easy to code an emulator for Caanoo?

jlenoconel said:
How would someone go about porting an emulator on the Caanoo? Is it hard or easy to code an emulator for Caanoo?

To create a new emulator from scratch and asking that question forget it, not many people are capable of doing this and it requires a lot of programming knowledge as well as knowledge of the emulated system :)

Porting one is an option, if you can port games you can port emulators as well, the only problem with emulators is that it might be a bit more difficult to understand everything that's going on. Luckily you don't actually need to know anything about the emulation part itselve, one just has to make sure input, video etc works on the target system, you never have to touch the emulation specific stuff.

I'm not certain but i think the dingoo has a wonderswan emulator although i'm not certain if its in dingux or native os there. If it is in dingux a port shouldn't be that hard. Same goes for the newly release pokemon mini emulator on that system.

I might be tempted to check it out but i'm kinda lazzy when it comes to programming at home nowadays, never feel like doing anything at home cause i program on a daily basis at work. so no promises

Edit: Looked it up a bit, the dingoo wonderswan emulator is based on OSwan SDL (http://www.bumba.net/~hmaon/oswanport/) i'm not certain why the dingoo version does not have audio, the seal library which (is said in the readme) to contain a audio wrapper for sdl_audio is included in their sources on the site. so compiling that library and linking against it might make the audio work unless there are too many dependencies needed by that seal audio library. Also can't seem to find sources from dingoo port but the oswan sdl files should be enough to make a port it uses SDL for video, one would just need to make some kind of frontend or menu for certain settings like gamestates etc

edit2: Just tried to compile the seal lib, the dingoo doesn't use it either cause it has x86 assembler, that's probably the reason why there is no sound in the dingoo version

Edit3: I got it running without sound and no scaling etc just for testing, but i doubt anyone will like it without sound, it's by default rather slow also not really in the mood to mess further with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha. I wouldn't even know where to start at this point. But I will look into it. I've never ported anything but would be interested in giving it a go. Are there some basic steps to porting an emulator e.g. a 1-5 list of things needed to do or whatever or some other tutorial?

Did you actually get the Dingoo version working for Caanoo? That sounds awesome man. I wish I could code, knew how to port :(

Thanks for the help.

The Wiz has two Wonderswan emulators, WizSwan and WS4ALL. I think WS4ALL is the better of the two as it has sound while WizSwan does not. I'm not sure if anyone has tried them with Ginge to see if they work on the Caanoo. Try it out, WS4ALL can be downloaded here, http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/downloads.php?do=file&id=2707

jlenoconel said:
Ha ha. I wouldn't even know where to start at this point. But I will look into it. I've never ported anything but would be interested in giving it a go. Are there some basic steps to porting an emulator e.g. a 1-5 list of things needed to do or whatever or some other tutorial?

Did you actually get the Dingoo version working for Caanoo? That sounds awesome man. I wish I could code, knew how to port :(

Thanks for the help.

not the dingoo version, but the version where the dingoo was based on, oswan sdl. I used the normal filter render the others did not work since it needed a bigger resolution but it ran way to slow with that filter and there was no sound implemented (well there was but it used x86 assembler so i disabled everything sound related) i could have a look at those 2 wiz versions if there are sources availible for it. I'll have a look

Would it be possible to port something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsKnP20-7r8

jlenoconel said:

Did you actually get the Dingoo version working for Caanoo? That sounds awesome man. I wish I could code, knew how to portiPhone 5 Cases :(

Thanks for the help.

I think WS4ALL is the better of the two as it has sound while WizSwan does not. I'm not sure if anyone has tried them with Ginge to see if they work on the Caanoo.

Back