Wonky Screen When Closing Pandora

GeBeCluck23

So recently I've noticed that every time I close my Pandora, and reopen it again, the screen goes crazy and gets frozen with some strange vertical lines across it. I was curious if it actually froze, so I tried shutting it down from the mini menu, (from memory) and it worked fine! Not to mention as it went to the power down screen, it looked perfectly fine again! I was also wondering if the LCD cable was loose, (which would really stink considering I just got it back from repairs and it seems to be working fine other than this!) so I wiggled it around a bit, but couldn't get it to mess up. Oh, I should also mention that when I put it in sleep mode, (flick the power switch to the right) and turn it back on, it does mess up. Has anyone else had this problem?  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your description I don't think it's a hinge/cable problem. Would you mind trying the "standard" solution when things go wrong => reflash ?

Hmm...okay, I'll try that. I actually just reflashed it, which if you see in my other post, the reflash screen is pitch black, (no verticul lines) but I can still flash it based on memory.

Hmm...okay, I'll try that. I actually just reflashed it, which if you see in my other post, the reflash screen is pitch black, (no verticul lines) but I can still flash it based on memory.
sorry, did not notice that

Okay, got done flashing it, (by memory of course, as I still cannot see the screen while reflashing it...) and I think it improved it...a bit...maybe?  :unsure:

...Well, it doesn't happen as often anymore, (of course, that could just be me being hopeful) but I did notice something interesting. I'm not sure if the reflashing had to do with this as I didn't test it beforehand, but the screen error seems to happen much more often if I close, and reopen it while in the Minimenu. In fact, I literally can't get it to mess up while using xfce by itself. However, when I actually run programs, that's another story entirely, (telling me it's obviously not the LCD Cable) I tried testing a few different pnds, with different results. In the end, all I can say is sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; (with certain programs working all the time, and others almost always, or do always fail.)

Some of the ones I tried were Mupen, which looked fine no matter how many times I open and closed it, GPFCE, which also always worked, as well as DraStic.

Cave Story (via nxengine) on the other hand, didn't work. Pcsx and Snes9x were strange though, they seemed to want to work depending on which ROM/ISO I load up, which is odd...

By the way, in case this isn't clear, everything I've mentioned so far works perfectly fine as long as I don't shut the screen. The screen only turns "wonky" when I open it after shutting it during one of the "bad" applications, Usually forcing me to exit by using my memory, (or ESC) or by doing a hard reset.  :wacko:

Not sure I've a clue what's going on, but it might help if you tell us your configuration for screen closed. If it's sending the unit to low power mode or even to sleep when you do that, it could be part of that process that's disturbing the screen.

GeBeCluck:

To change:

From the Pandora menu: Settings,  Lid-Close-Settings.

You get three options, one is darker (selected).

To check:

~/.lidconfig (could not exist, then defaults are used, see /usr/pandora/scripts/op_paths.sh)

(after reflashing, I do not have the file, still, closing the lid turns off the screen. So that seems to be the default)

Woah! My whole life up to this point is a lie! It all makes sense now!! :eek:  Turns out mine is set to "Low-Power Mode" when it's shut. I'll try "Turn off the screen" and see how that goes.

Ah, cool. I was half wondering if it was that. When you talked about DraStic it reminded me that on my system that corrupts the screen if you go to low power mode while it's running, although on your setup DraStic was working fine.

AFAIK it's a mystery as to why certain full-screen apps tend to corrupt the screen on going to low power and back. Not a problem for me in DraStic and other emulators of course, provided I remember to save state and exit before going to low power.

Back