Word On The Mobos?

ninjamonkey

Still Fresh
Other than the new news on the casing is there anyword on if the motherboard production is almost done? Once the first batch. would second batch start production start? that would be greawt. I really want one these things. Its AWESOMENESS

ninjamonkey said:
Other than the new news on the casing is there anyword on if the motherboard production is almost done? Once the first batch. would second batch start production start? that would be greawt. I really want one these things. Its AWESOMENESS
2nd batch you would be extremely lucky for it to ship prior to 6months from now, not sure your aware of that

Last edited by a moderator:
They were ordered on the 30th of last month, giving 10 days for the holiday, the boards would have been finished by now if it was really 400 per day.

And if the factory actually began full-scale production the same day the order was placed. They merely got into the queue IIRC.

Also, we were told the first 800 would be "slow" while they brought their process up to speed. Don't want to crank out 4000 only to find out a piece of dust interfered with the cutter or something.

greendots said:
They were ordered on the 30th of last month, giving 10 days for the holiday, the boards would have been finished by now if it was really 400 per day.
They wouldn't have started production until after CE testing, so 10 business days from October 15th would be today. But I don't think we have any grasp on whether production has even started yet.

MWeston said on the 19th:

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn't be starting until after the Chinese holiday anyway which is how it went down but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place. The boards should be deep into formatting and CAM inspection by now (19th) and perhaps already into the etching stage of inner layers.

Source

I don't know where that puts us now, but it's only been ten days. And I don't think they were going to launch straight into full speed production - I'm basing this on pretty old info, but I believe they will do mini-batches, starting off small and ramping up as they go.

It's only about 8 weeks till christmas, doesn't sound like a lot of time to finish the boards and cases, put them together, test them and then ship them around the world. I hope they can manage it though coz it would make my christmas more fun :D

Gruso said:
MWeston said on the 19th:

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn't be starting until after the Chinese holiday anyway which is how it went down but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place. The boards should be deep into formatting and CAM inspection by now (19th) and perhaps already into the etching stage of inner layers.

Source

I don't know where that puts us now, but it's only been ten days. And I don't think they were going to launch straight into full speed production - I'm basing this on pretty old info, but I believe they will do mini-batches, starting off small and ramping up as they go.

That's correct, but from what I recall they had ordered them, but didn't want to give the go-ahead to actually start until the CE testing passed.

Quote from the official blog, Oct. 14th
So the BOARDS are fine, we can start mass production

You underestimate just how much some of us drool over seeing something as trivial as tv-out cables or styli, let alone hoards of boards.

Tensuke said:
You underestimate just how much some of us drool over seeing something as trivial as tv-out cables or styli, let alone hoards of boards.

Sad but so so true. I would like whatever tidbits about the manufacturing process.

So, if I wanted to order a Pandora from the second batch, I would not get it sooner then six months from now?
I know that you will likely refer me to the search section. However, "second batch" brings me to this thread.

Transmition said:
So, if I wanted to order a Pandora from the second batch, I would not get it sooner then six months from now?
I know that you will likely refer me to the search section. However, "second batch" brings me to this thread.
Yeah, we only know because of statements made by CraigX on the forum here.
There's a 6 month waiting time for the OMAP chip from TI. It's the same for everyone at the moment.

Gruso said:
TI should spend less time binning and more time winning.
Oh snap!

And also, the nubs have a lead time of 28 weeks, or about 7 months. It could take less, but that's probably a good estimate for how long it'll be until ALL the parts for batch 2 are ready.

So, should I pre-order? I am a youth, so I don't exactly have my own credit card to pay (I would need to use my parents' card).
One must understand, I am somewhat uncomfortable giving out credit card information to a company that has not shipped any units of its product yet. On the other hand, I want to get a pandora prior to January :/

Back