World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an article in the paper today that said the Toronto van driver dude was an 'incel', meaning involuntary celibate.

I'm glad my equipment doesn't work, 'cause I don't think I would handle rejection well either. At least in my case though, I know I wouldn't plow a van into people. No driver's license. :p

There was a world-wide survey about drugs and the conclusion is that 30% of the 15000 contestants got their cocaine delivered in 30 minutes or less, contrasted to 16.5% that gets pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less...

It does not surprise me, the pizza needs to be decorated with freshly cut pineapple, cooked in the oven, and then cut into 8 parts. The cocaine is not fresh. If it was, it would reek of poop and gasoline... and not chalk.

Interactive map of the results

Google Duplex - the Personal Assistant.
People are discussing if it is moral for AI to disguise itself a a human, and fool another human:
https://newatlas.com/google-duplex-controversy-ai-sounds-too-human/54579/

Biased AI - oops the new biased overloards.
What if AI will decide legal issues... but is discriminating against certain groups of people?
https://newatlas.com/human-rights-declaration-ai-machine-learning-bias/54651/

This feels like being in a Science Fiction novel... but just like in the late 50ties and 60ties the foundation was laid for all that was computers (for example, bubblesort is from 1955). We NOW are shaping the AI as it will be in 2040.

I'd have thought what happened to MS's AI that got released on to twitter (I think I recall) would have taught people when it comes to AI becoming biased.

If I had a wish granted to do with the media, I'd ban them from using the term 'AI'. It's not what anyone who read SF from the 50's to the 1990's thinks of when they think of the term, although as I say that maybe it's just us old fogies who are likely to be put out by the modern parlance. But there are better terms; if they using neural networks then they should say so IMO, if they're using nearest matches from big data, then they should say that instead. Although I guess it's not in the interest of big companies to tell you how they're doing what they're doing. So instead I shall insist (if anyone pays any attention) that these modern data technologies that aren't really akin to Data from Star Trek TNG or even Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet will hereby known as 'Poo-I' instead of 'A-I'.

i_XO4_ONpm_Wx_N1_Td_MHBBvf_KRk_Dii3_BZic_Ah_P6uq2su.jpg

If I had a wish granted to do with the media, I'd ban them from using the term 'AI'. It's not what anyone who read SF from the 50's to the 1990's thinks of when they think of the term, ... if they using neural networks then they should say so IMO, if they're using nearest matches from big data, then they should say that instead.

On one hand, I think it's almost comical how the media (and its adherents) fantasise about having to solve the complex ethical issues surrounding what I'd call "general-purpose" AI. It's so far removed from reality, you wonder how far wrong everything else they say is.

On the other, complaining that standard news outlets publish nonsense is like complaining that a fast-food restaurant serves low-quality meals.

pulling kids from school is the wrong approach. then conservatives will say, "look, we didn't need public schools in the first place, everyone should be homeschooled."

i went to public school and turned out fine...

I have no idea what the usual site looks like, but the eu version of usa_today (a reaction to GDPR, undoubtedly to make a statement) looks very refreshing: https://eu.usatoday.com. A glance of what the web could have been before several big advertisement corporations ruined it.

Apparently US visitors will be redirected to the original and cannot see it.

pulling kids from school is the wrong approach. then conservatives will say, "look, we didn't need public schools in the first place, everyone should be homeschooled."

i went to public school and turned out fine...
They have all these ads for online schooling. That seems like an interesting idea. I do see potential problems, but it would be better than my experience in public schools (we moved a lot so I was in a new school almost every year, and they did things differently in all of them).

I turned out ok, but that isn't a reflection of public schools in general, just a few great, supportive teachers. I preferred the schools where we didn't have Bible studies as a required class, and where they didn't use the bible as part of, for example, health and science classes.

I have heard good things about the quality of education in Christian and Catholic schools, but I wouldn't have wanted to go to one. If they could remove the religious stuff and maintain the quality and attention to students I would recommend them. Or maybe they could just give more money to education and pay teachers what they deserve.

As for shootings, I blame the parents primarily, and the school staff to a lesser degree. Of course the shooters are also to blame, but maybe someone paying attention to what they are up to and their emotional state would prevent it. You can try to change laws but I don't see that making a big difference. What would make a big difference is not giving it the type of coverage it gets occasionally, which spawns copycats.

I survived public school, and I am sorta ok.
[doublepost=1527279670,1527279629][/doublepost]Oh, fuck... This thread again. How do I ignore it?

Secondary school did a real number on me, it led to my first few suicide attempts and also to a more than likely lifelong grudge against certain classmates. I can fully understand why school shooters do what they do because if I could have got hold of a gun at the time I would have quite happily joined their ranks.

Secondary school did a real number on me, it led to my first few suicide attempts and also to a more than likely lifelong grudge against certain classmates. I can fully understand why school shooters do what they do because if I could have got hold of a gun at the time I would have quite happily joined their ranks.

WTF, mate!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back