World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh right, it's a list of the MEPs who voted for and against these new articles. Green is for, red is against, blue/grey is abstained, white is not present. What each of the voting blocks stands for is another topic entirely that I never really got to grips with either.

the dutch are driving a solar vehicle to the south pole
...in december. I like the fact the truck is not paved with nationalistic flags. Just functional black.
Hopefully they have electric wire around the door to unfreeze it when the door gets stuck.

Don't forget it's the south pole. In that part of the world, december will mean perma-light and on average rather warmer temperatures than the chilly winter months which happen june-july-august anywhere noticably south of the tropic of capricorn.

Depends on your definition of freedom. I am in line with @JDTAY on this one, freedom is the absence of (coercive) force.

The absence of (coercive) force does not mean that there can be no contracts nor that contracts cannot be enforced. Only that you cannot be forced into a contract.
The GPL is a contract that you enter willingly (or not). By using GPL'ed software you are bound to the rules of the contract and no rights are violated. Don't like it? Then don't use it.

[edit] I am saying that the GPL does not contradict freedom, however one can indeed validly argue if the essentials freedoms in the GPL is the same freedom as stated above (personally, I do not think so), but it is on the same level as public domain (which is also a contract). [/edit]

This is so completely and obviously wrong, it probably won't help you to tell you why, but others might learn from my response:

I don't have a contract with any gpl author, yet they claim the ability to restrict my use of the code they have published - using the coercive power of the State.

I don't have a contract with any gpl author, yet they claim the ability to restrict my use of the code they have published - using the coercive power of the State.
I was at this market, and they had apples, and pumpkins and pies... so I took an apple, and they wanted to restrict my use of the apple by using coercive power of the State.... If you are reading this... please send bail.

- invitation -

if you are in the area of cologne, germany next weekend, maybe you want to stop by.

"Young and old, people from all corners of the country come together to fight for their future and the future of the planet."
Save the Forest – Stop Coal! March
06.10. - 12 o’clock
Hambach Forest
Buir Train Station

wald-retten-kohle-stoppen-twitter-share-grafik-1024x512.jpg

this will be huge, about 20.000+ people are expected.

I was at this market, and they had apples, and pumpkins and pies... so I took an apple, and they wanted to restrict my use of the apple by using coercive power of the State.... If you are reading this... please send bail.

That's because you stole property. There is no equivalence.

intellectual property is still property... that's what the gpl is contracting about. governments enforce (or not) the contract.

Intellectual property is a made up word that encompasses copyright, and patent law, the latter of which GPL is not.

This is so completely and obviously wrong, it probably won't help you to tell you why, but others might learn from my response:

He wasn't wrong, and you are not even wrong. GPL isn't published any more than someone's image that they put in the Internet. Copyright law applies per default, and the GPL concerns copyright law. You don't get the copyright.
Whatever you feel about the concept of copyright, the GPL has held up in court in many jurisdictions. So they don't just claim the ability, they restrict your use.

Pro tip, your use isn't restricted, only your misuse.

Last edited:
This isn't me claiming to be for or against GPL and copywrite, I think the "you wouldn't steal a car" comparison is an apples to oranges kinda thing though, the situations have some things in common but they're different enough that it doesn't classify either one as the other, so anyone who knows enough about their own position isn't going to be swayed by presenting similarities to bad stuff, if I understand anyways.
Duplicated info or uh, I guess any info that is info, restricting everyone from using that by legal force probably isn't any good, I keep forgetting why that is though. Yeah I comprehend the "you agreed to these terms" part, but that's just saying "you promised", doesn't necessarily make it good just because that rule is necessary and helpful all over the place, lots of people don't totally understand what they're agreeing to, but that's just the simple answer, these days lots of people have to agree even when they don't agree with everything.

I'm honestly baffled that people worry so much about spelling. If people are treated fairly and with respect, who cares what the word is?
Plenty of cultures routinely use 'offensive' words without any offence being intended or taken. Plenty of other cultures encourage abusive behaviour. Isn't that worse?

If they really want a word for that part of the population while avoiding a certain three-character-string, how about "ladies"?

Isn't ladies derived from the male term 'lad' though, or perhaps it's the other way round? I don't personally mind sharing three letters describing my sex (or gender, in modern english) with those with those who are O+ rather than O> like me, given we're both of the same species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back