GP2X Writing A Game For An Emulator

Everyone else is too kind. The real question is..

What system?

Please include some basic info. Its like asking a question "What colour?"..

jeff

can you recommended a platform
I have books on the 6502, z80 and the 8080
I am looking around about the 16-bit video game console generation

The original GB or the GBcolor. They are nice systems to code for and have hardware for the hard parts, plus there is loads of Z80 example code online.

tom_a_sparks said:
can you recommended a platform
I have books on the 6502, z80 and the 8080
I am looking around about the 16-bit video game console generation
Right, so all you need to do then is figure out which of the processors you have books for are 16-bit, and your away ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more into writing old school 8-bit ASM
I found three video game console that match what I was looking for
* TurboGrafx-16, known as PC-Engine in Japan (modified 65C02 running at 1.79 or 7.16 MHz)
* Sega Game Gear (Z80)
* Game Boy Color (Z80)

Writing for old systems _is_ cool; its fairly hardcore, in that few peopel do it, though the Atari 2600 coding scene is still pretty alive.

Its not too hard to get assemblers and kits with ready to use routines for NES etc, etc, too.

Depends what you want to do though.. ie: SNES is pretty well understood and pretty powerful, but 3MHz CPU or somesuch. TG16 had some cool features in the CPU, but it can be difficult to code for and less general coding support outside of Japan. GB and such, easy.. very limited hardware, and well documented.

ST and Amiga have full gcc environments.. hell, you can run Linux on them :) (No, Iv'e not tried running Linux on the gp2x inside of the emus. Perv.)

So lots of options.

Also arcade machines; I started a game that wads meant to run in Space Duel vector hardware once...

jeff

Back