wx python ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just want to confirm:

- wxpython is not included within the firmware, right?

- If that is the case, has anyone ever built it? I saw there was an old topic about that, but the original author never came back to say whether he was able to compile it or not.

If wxpython is out, that leaves us only with pygtk as the main library for GUI with Python?

Yeah, wxPython is not included. So if you want to port a program that uses it, it's probably best to include it in the PND.

I tried once to compile wxPython, but I didn't have an immediate use for it, so I gave up kind of early. I wasn't able to compile directly on the Pandora because of missing development files, IIRC, and I didn't get any sort of toolchain working.

I'll try to get a toolchain set up on Trisquel next weekend and see if I can compile it there.

Other than GTK, I think one of the Qt bindings (not sure if it's PyQt or PySide, but I think it's PySide) has been made to work on the Pandora. I seem to recall somebody mentioning it. Though of course it's not included with the OS; only GTK is included.

Yeah, wxPython is not included. So if you want to port a program that uses it, it's probably best to include it in the PND.

I tried once to compile wxPython, but I didn't have an immediate use for it, so I gave up kind of early. I wasn't able to compile directly on the Pandora because of missing development files, IIRC, and I didn't get any sort of toolchain working.

I'll try to get a toolchain set up on Trisquel next weekend and see if I can compile it there.

Other than GTK, I think one of the Qt bindings (not sure if it's PyQt or PySide, but I think it's PySide) has been made to work on the Pandora. I seem to recall somebody mentioning it. Though of course it's not included with the OS; only GTK is included.

I don't have a toolchain setup so I don't think I can manage to make it work...

If you ever manage to get wxpython compiled, please let me know. If I remember correctly, wxpython was quite big in size - would it make sense to include it in a PND, if your application itself is small ?

If not, i'll probably have to go for GTK. I don't really like the syntax, though.

If I remember correctly, wxpython was quite big in size - would it make sense to include it in a PND, if your application itself is small ?

The problem I see with that is we'd then start seeing PNDs that depend on this other PND, which is extremely odd with the PND system; PNDs are generally supposed to be standalone. Dependencies like that only make sense on regular Unix because there are package managers that can grab the dependencies for you; the PND system doesn't allow anything like that. All you can do is say "you also need this other PND", which I'm not sure is a good idea for library like wx which 1) is not excessively widely used (I think) and 2) isn't generally visible to the end-user.

Back