Release X-Com: Ufo Defense

During the last two weeks I've been using my Pandora almost exclusively to play X-Com. It's perfect to play just a quick mission on the way to work, and since there is no need for fast reactions the lighting conditions aren't much of an issue compared to other games. It's amazing really how this game still holds up so well today.

Thank you for the update. The new mouse behavior is a great addition, and I see you also fixed the "I'm gonna scroll to the top left now" bug when loading a ground mission savegame. Being left-handed, I also appreciate the lefty settings very much.

@M-HT: Maybe you can help me with a problem related to (but not necessarily caused by) "x-com: ufo defense"

I wrote myself a mini-bash-script with stuff from the panplayer-mplayer.sh-script to watch dvb-t fast in fullscreen. The script looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 2764800
sync
/media/trans8/panplayer/mplayer -fs -noconfig all -ac mad -ao sdl -vo omapfb -framedrop dvb://$1
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 1

Unfortunately after watching dvb-t, the graphics in x-com are messed up. Everything is green and pink (seems like the colours are wrong). after running x-com, dmesg shows:

Code:
omapdss MANAGER error: dispc_setup_plane failed for ovl 1

So i think that the ofbset-setting that i do in my script confuses x-com.
On the other hand there might be something else wrong as i do not manage to "modprobe -r" the firmware-module of my dvb-t-stick. Anyway: Have you got an idea how i could solve this issue without restarting the Pandora?

its the sdl. i didnt know it was caused by the fbuffer memory tweak for mplayer tho.

but in the xcom config. you set the use new sdl thingy to false and it will display correctly (cant remember if it was to false or true. but anyway, the point is. make it use the old sdl and youll be fine).

Lomaxx said:
@M-HT: Maybe you can help me with a problem related to (but not necessarily caused by) "x-com: ufo defense"

I wrote myself a mini-bash-script with stuff from the panplayer-mplayer.sh-script to watch dvb-t fast in fullscreen. The script looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 2764800
sync
/media/trans8/panplayer/mplayer -fs -noconfig all -ac mad -ao sdl -vo omapfb -framedrop dvb://$1

Unfortunately after watching dvb-t, the graphics in x-com are messed up. Everything is green and pink (seems like the colours are wrong). after running x-com, dmesg shows:

Code:
omapdss MANAGER error: dispc_setup_plane failed for ovl 1

So i think that the ofbset-setting that i do in my script confuses x-com.
On the other hand there might be something else wrong as i do not manage to "modprobe -r" the firmware-module of my dvb-t-stick. Anyway: Have you got an idea how i could solve this issue without restarting the Pandora?
I never used ofbset and I don't have my Pandora with me, so I can't test it, but according to this page on pandorawiki section hardware scaling, try changing the line:

Code:
to

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 0 -en 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. "ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 0 -en 0" seems to have fixed it. I'll modify the panplayer-mplayer.sh-script to that option too.

Thanks a lot for this! It's still a great game after all these years.
Too bad the sequel TFTD had so much worse graphics IMO with those strange bright colors (cyan, pink, yellow everywhere). Hm anyone know a way to replace those with something else? ^^

^ Hm strangely, I think TFTD looks a lot better on the pandora then I remembered it being on my pc... Not so much cyan and a lot more of a nice blue. Maybe my colors were just off back then and I never knew? :)

Hi,

I updated X-COM: UFO Defense to version 1.2.0

Download it here:
Archive
Repo

Changes:
* MIDI playback using WildMIDI
(old MIDI playback using SDL_mixer can be set in the configuration file)
* show the Readme in the Documentation submenu

Forum topic for newer releases is here.

Last edited:
Just downloaded X-Com for Caanoo. Looks and sounds great. Music is even better as I remembered on the PC.

I don't know if this is because of the latest version, but I can't save any games. When I save and pick a save slot, I fill in the save game name and then simulate an enter (by pressing R+B) But after that the save screen just freezes. I try pressing all buttons. But only after a few minutes the game exists back from the save menu to the game without having saved the game.

I also agree with the remark earlier by someone else that the stylus should not function as a mouse click but just only for moving the mouse cursor. It's very difficult to click the correct tile on an isometric view.

ledro said:
Just downloaded X-Com for Caanoo. Looks and sounds great. Music is even better as I remembered on the PC.

I don't know if this is because of the latest version, but I can't save any games. When I save and pick a save slot, I fill in the save game name and then simulate an enter (by pressing R+ B) But after that the save screen just freezes. I try pressing all buttons. But only after a few minutes the game exists back from the save menu to the game without having saved the game.

I also agree with the remark earlier by someone else that the stylus should not function as a mouse click but just only for moving the mouse cursor. It's very difficult to click the correct tile on an isometric view.

Okay, forget about the the save games it's working now. I was missing the Game_1.. Game_10 save game folders. Having a blast playing X-com. This game really never gets old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back