Xbox Or Media Box Pc?

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
I am about to move into a new flat and had planned on getting a small media-box pc (running Linux) to go under the tv in the siting room. The idea was that it would be permenantly turned on and use the tv as it's screen. I would use it for downloads, watching divX movies, playing emulated games, access weather info, news, tv listings etc. I have a friend that has done the same thing and it works perfectly - even via a tv like remote control.

However, the flat is unfurnished so I am having to spend a lot on furniture and won't be able to immediately get my media-box pc. What has just occurred to me is that I might be able to pick up a used XBox (chipped) for very little money and use it instead. Unfortunately I know very little about the XBox - can it do much of what I described? IS it worth going for or should I hold off and save up for the media-box pc?

Help!

J(ohn)

I have a modded xbox that I basically use as a media centre. Its pretty neat, can play pretty much every 8/16 bit system perfectly, MAME emulation is great, and has reasonably good n64/psx emulation, and of course can play xbox games.

When it comes to its media playback abilities, they are very good. XVID/DIVX/Mpeg1/Mpeg2/Vorbis/MP3/WMA all work perfectly. It can even do most WMV and Quicktime files.

However, if you're getting a HDTV, an xbox won't do. It's processor isn't powerful enough to play HDTV rips. If you don't plan on a HDTV anytime soon, then there really isn't that much point to go with a HTPC, the xbox does pretty much everything at a much lower price.

I havn't had to burn a CD/DVD in ages, because you can just stream movies over a network. No, not copy them to the hard drive and then play them, it streams the video file over a lot like internet radio, except with no delays and skips (make sure you get a 100mbit network though). Stuff like TV Guides I havn't tested because I don't watch regular TV, but I'm pretty sure it has that, along with weather info. Theres also a neat little news ticker that you can set up on XBMC/Avalaunch.

Go to www.xbox-scene.com for more info. Just don't get a v1.6 xbox, the brand new ones. There are ways of telling what version it is on the website. Its a bitch to mod these.

Good luck!

Thanks for that - just what I wanted to hear! I don't have any immediate HDTV intentions so it looks like the xbox is perfect.

Thanks again.

J(ohn)

don't forget you can also run various Linux distros on an Xbox, meaning you can access news, Weather etc via your network.

Just get a USB keyboard adaptor and Firefox, and you'll be all set.

I've been experimenting with Xbox Media Centre, and it's bloody great :D

Got the streaming media working over the network, and can use my tablet PC like a remote control and just select video files via a web interface (on my wireless network) and they play on the TV. Also wiorks with all the stuff above too....

Is cool :p

Back