Hd Cable Box Help!

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
I didnt want to hijack steveo's hdtv thread, so here's something related.

I'm using comcast cable service, and I have an hdtv. I bought some excellent hdmi cables, because I was under the impression that I'd be able to hook my tv up to the box through them (since my tv has 2 ports). I also was happy because I knew my ps3 would be able to utilize them s well.

So I get this cable box, and along with the remote, there are component cables. So I figured they were standard since not everyone has hdmi ports....

Apparently, my hd cable box doesnt have hdmi sockets :huh: It has component ports, and 1 DVI outlet.

My question is, what kind of cable(s) do I need now for the best possible picture? 1 DVI cable? I dont want to buy something I cant use (if it werent for my ps3, the $30 in hdmi cables would be down the toilet). I know component is decent, but I want the best picture possible. My tv supports 1080p after all!!

Help!

hmm yeah I was looking at those, but I thought perhaps dvi isnt the best signal I could get? But it probably is lol

So If I get that, I could make the dvi jack accept my hdmi cable...So I would use 1 hdmi outlet on my tv? The ps3 requires 1, or 2 hdmi plugs? argh I have no idea how this works! Do they make an hdmi splitter, that could give me 3 hdmi outlets on my tv? That way 1 could go to the cable box and i could get another cable so that 2 would go to my ps3? would my TV recognize 3 outlets???

wtff :blink:

DVI is digital, its the best signal you can get. Thats what it means by definition, it doesn't involve any sort of compression, and its digital so signal degradation is extremely low.

Ok so I'd definitely want an adapter so I can use an hdmi cable and get a better quality picture.

The problem now is the PS3 hookup. It has 2 HDMI ports on the back, so I'd want to hook it to my TV via those ports.

How can I work this? It's kinda like I need 3 HDMI ports, but I only have 2. There MUST be a solution, since I'm not the only one in the world who has an HDTV and s PS3...

theres a switch box availabvel i seem to remember reading, alas i think its ludicrously expenive.

Also, dvi and hdmi is, im pretty sure, exactly the same signal/cable, just different connectors...

I think...

Back