Xbox Pad

motorollin

If I get a breakout board can I use an XBox pad in one of the USB ports? I have already hacked a USB plug on to the pad and it works on my Mac with the XBox HID driver. Does the GP2x have any drivers for this?

TIA
moto

Thanks. Can I plug a pad in to the internal USB port on the GP2x, or do I need to use the breakout?

motorollin said:
Thanks. Can I plug a pad in to the internal USB port on the GP2x, or do I need to use the breakout?
The internal USB port is a slave only. You need a host USB port to plug in controllers etc.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
The pad in theory should work I have connected up all kinds of weird input devices to the gp2x and all have worked one way or another.

I have a xbox joypad to USB converter and I know you have to install drivers on windows for all the buttons, pads and rumble to work *but* it may work on the gp2x as SDL takes care of it all. I will give it a try tomorrow and reply back here.

I was talking about connecting the XBox pad directly to the USB port with no electronics n between to convert it. I know that this can work with the correct driver. I hadn't thought of using an XBOX -> PC pad adapter. If I understand correctly these electronically convert the pad to something the PC can use without the need for a driver. If they convert it to a standard PC pad then it probably stands a better chance of working.

@Guyfawkes
Would be very interested to hear the results!

The converter i am using is just a xbox to usb cable. you can make them yourself if you have a spare usb cable, just cut open the cable and match up the colored wires, you will have a spare yellow wire on the xbox end (its for lightguns iirc).

I think this is the one I have http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2b-49-en-70-1xz.html

I will try it on the gp2x later on when I am back home.

I would be very surprised if it worked - I don't think the XBOX game pad is a standard USB controller.

Orkie said:
I would be very surprised if it worked - I don't think the XBOX game pad is a standard USB controller.
I tried mine about 3 years ago (maybe more) on Linux and it worked like a charm without any additional software. Not sure if that's any use?

P-J said:
I tried mine about 3 years ago (maybe more) on Linux and it worked like a charm without any additional software. Not sure if that's any use?
There is a driver in the kernel, i really doubt the GPH one has it though.

I just tried the xbox joypad on a newer test version of my sdltest program (not released) which has better support for testing usb joypads and it didn't seem to find it. But it also didn't find one of my other two joypads which I am fairly sure was working before so I cant rule out that the xbox joypad doesn't work.

If I get some time later I will check over everything to see if there are no problems with my code and update here.

If it helps any my ps2 hub for my pc never needed drivers to be used in emulation, so I wonder if it will work if you use an xbox hub that is made for usb? I guess I'll have to wait until I get the money for a cradle to test the ps2 hub.

therealadmin said:
If it helps any my ps2 hub for my pc never needed drivers to be used in emulation, so I wonder if it will work if you use an xbox hub that is made for usb? I guess I'll have to wait until I get the money for a cradle to test the ps2 hub.
The PS2 things actually have a converter inside them. The XBOX controllers are USB anyway, just with a standard protocol.

Well I am searching for some gamepads too for my GP2X.

Like a SNES of a Xbox controller.
Do some of you have some experience with some controllers?

I got Logitec ChillStream at home, but those don't work :(

Back