YAPR

pykus

Still Fresh
I've seen some very well thought out reviews here. If a detailed and balanced breakdown of the hardware and it's functionality is what you want then look elsewhere. Those things are important, but i just don't have the kind of attention it takes to do a good job with that kind of thing, and I've seen reviews here that leave nothing else to be said as far as I'm concerned.

To me, when I read up on all the specs for some new toy, I might get excited about something with a lot of power, or something that performs a certain task exceptionaly well, but those things aren't enough for me when it comes to something that costs $500. I want something that I'm going to love for a long time, and that can be difficult to figure out from most reviews.

What I was looking for when I found the Pandora was a handheld device to play all my ROMs. Pandora is way more expensive than what I was looking to spend, but it fills so many places in my technology repertoir that I was willing to wait.

Over the time it took to gather the funds I needed I learned that this was the result of the efforts of a community. My brother has been involved in many Open Source projects over the years, and from a young age I've learned to love that process, that ideology and that kind of community. This is what I love about the Pandora community as well. It's a great bunch of similarly minded people at it's heart.

The Pandora lets me indulge my inner geek to the fullest extent. I want to figure things out. I want to create something new and useful for lots of people. I want to take something great and make it perfect for ME. No one else can do that, and between here and there I'll be learning a lot of things I've meant to focus on for years. I LOVE my Pandora. Its been fun and useful for so many things already, and I've only just started to explore the possibilities.

The games are fantastic. I play videos and music. I read books and comic books. I've encrypted my personal documents so I know they're safe. I've managed my website. I've done coding. I've set it up on my local network so I can move files. I've created impressive images with some of the image editing software. I've started getting myself organized with it. And after all that, I've got tons and tons of ideas about what I can do next...

If you've already got a Pandora, then you probably know what I'm talking about. If you don't and if what I said appeals to you, then I suggest that you get one. I don't regret this purchase even a little bit. I want more so I can give my children the experience of owning one. Decades from now this will be something that people will look back on with a special fondness similar to how we feel about some of the computers and consoles it emulates.

This is my favorite toy.

:)

These are the sorts of reviews that I find to be the most interesting - it's far more informative, at least to me, to see someone writing about what they actually use a device for and how well it does what they bought it for, than it does to see comparisons of numbers and the like. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back