YINLIPS G18

just been on ebay and there appear to be a few cheap yinlips G18s floating around on there if anyone was looking to invest in one and cant find one else where

It has resistive touchscreen, so no...
Those things are not mutually exclusive anymore. Haven't been for a while. The technology for multitouch resistive screens exists, just waiting for someone to take the step and use it. Unfortunately Apple marketing has people believing that if it isn't capacitive it can't multitouch which suposedly makes it inferior when in actuality resistive screens are superior in every way that matters.

Just wanted to say that I got mine, but it doesn't work properly :( I bought it from that buyfromtaboa website and sent them an e-mail, hopefully I can get a replacement, return it, or something. It will work for a few minutes, but the screen will get fuzzy, then lock up on one solid color (so the whole screen is gray or blue or something). And the issue happens sooner and sooner, sometimes the screen just loops on the android bootup logo, but weirdly the screen doesn't seem to lock up when it is stuck on the boot logo. So I am not sure if it is a hardware or software issue. I tried factoring restoring, but that didn't work :/

It has resistive touchscreen, so no...
Those things are not mutually exclusive anymore. Haven't been for a while. The technology for multitouch resistive screens exists, just waiting for someone to take the step and use it.
Nook color uses a dual touch resistive

Unfortunately Apple marketing has people believing that if it isn't capacitive it can't multitouch which suposedly makes it inferior when in actuality resistive screens are superior in every way that matters.

Opacity? Why can't anyone(except Nintindo) make a resistive touch screen that doesn't become opaque when viewed at an angle.

Couldn't they just use a different case? And NOT include pirated emulators but follow the GPL?
sku_112058_1.jpg

The more interesting question is, how the hell do they produce these Devices so fast? Pandora took years to make, including working Software etc... Chinese Devices pop out like mushrooms after the rain. I mean, even if it is a clone and copied Design, someone have to build it and programm it etc... I also doubt they used our Pandora Case Company, otherwise this device would not look that clean. :D

Sometimes I think that the chinese Pirate Companies are more professional than the legal Chinese Companies. :wacko:

You do realize the YDPG18 is just the YDPG12(2011.08.20 网络智能游戏机 英利普掌机YDPG12曝光) in Vita case?

the development of the device probably won't have been solely down to yinlips. in china it's common for the chip manufacturer to supply the software port along with the chip. so yinlips may well have bought the whole bundle and pretty much only had to develop the case. this is probably the reason that a lot of chinese devices aren't supported by the manufacturer in software updates, because in some instances the factory putting the unit together either a) don't have access to the source code or B) simply don't have the skills necessary to improve upon the firmware they were given as part of the bundle.

rockchip definitely work in this way, supplying android ports with their socs... it wouldn't surprise me if others worked in the same way.
lkcl (517947) Alter Relationship on Sunday December 11, @12:17PM (#38335908) Homepage

Ok, so if I understand, the problem lies in the binary firmware blobs the ODM gets from the SoC maker, making it hell from that point on to install any distro lacking those drivers.
it's worse than that: you can't do security updates yourself, and if there's a bug you're screwed - you might as well throw the hardware away. the reason is that the ODMs are having such a hard time keeping hold of the limited supply of competent software engineers within china that they can't _do_ "updates": even if the factory asked for one, the ODM is forced to try to sell them the "latest hardware design" because the software engineer who did the firmware for the old device has quit and got a job somewhere else, better paid, with "old device X" on his CV!

And if they are included in the kernel without source code, it violates the kernel's GPL.
correct.

So the SoC maker doesn't violate the GPL, the ODM does,
actually... there are a number of SoC manufacturers that do. given the serious consequences to them of doing so (GPLv2 requires permission from *all* copyright holders for reinstatement of distribution rights), i am often stunned when i learn of a SoC manufacturer that is involved in GPL violations.

but the ODM never had the source to begin with.
often they do, but it's also often under NDA (which is a GPL violation by the SoC manufacturer). we have actually jeapordised a relationship with one ODM because we went "oi!" to the SoC manufacturer, pointing out the SoC manufacturer was in GPL violation, and this went down so badly that the SoC manufacturer refuses to provide that ODM with *any* source code! it's a real serious mess, basically.

I am beginning to understand what a mess the current fragmentation of designs has caused. I am glad there are people like you out there working towards bringing products to the market that preserve the spirit of true ownership, rather than feeling like a rented appliance.
appreciated.

I have been monitoring the Rasberry pi site for months waiting to grab a one from the first batch, but I will be keeping an eye on Rhombus tech now too. The PCMCIA approach is one I have not seen before though, interesting.
yeah - it's just at the right time. PCMCIA is dead, but with things like Conditional Access Modules for Satellite boxes, the actual PCMCIA connectors and assemblies are still being manufactured in mass-volume quantities. so we get the best of both worlds.

the thing is that a credit-card size is coincidentally the exact same size (to within a few millimetres) as a PCMCIA card. so the difference in price comes down to that of the CPU, and the Allwinner A10 is $7 in mass-volume. for a 1.5ghz Cortex A8. which is stunning. that means that qualcom's 700mhz ARM11 is going to be at least $12, possibly even as high as $15. it's really hard to see how a USA-based company, with the USA-based overheads, could possibly compete with the Taiwanese and China based SoC manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have the google frameworks apk and the market .apk they can email me ?

Megaupload is down and I need the files :)

Interesting.

well my ydpg18 a10 arrived!!!!! it sucks donkey ass. yes it is already rooted but titanium backup does not work on it. and other methods described to update the default emulators such as renaming certain .so files do not work either and the worst part is that on every emulator or even android game (angry birds for example) there is a pathetic 1/2 - 1 sec lag in the audio compared to the video. I don't know if the original version has this problem but let me tell you it is SHITE!!!!!. STAY AWAY from this p.o.s. oh well back to my dingoo's with there mediocre cpu and no gpu at all yet graphics and sound seem to be able to co-exist in perfectly timed harmony *sigh*.

last point YINLIPS SUCKS

http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/yinlips-ydpg18-upgrade-1-5ghz-andriod-2-3/15/

Interesting.

Not much different than this post here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/62841-i-cheated-on-the-caanoo/

So, I gave in to the hype and bought the Yinlips YDPG18... it had a lot of potential, HUGE screen, HDMI out capabilities, 2 cameras, blah blah...

after a LOT of work setting up all the emulators and roms I actually attempted to play some games. FAIL! the D pad blows, almost every emulator is SO buggy it makes games practically unplayable.. I could go on and on. The Yinlips is 1 step forward, 3 steps back... but it dif made me realize how awesome the Caanoo really is. I'm back to playing on that, I will NEVER cheat on her again.

Lesson learned!

Last edited:
Back