Your Ideal Handheld Device?

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
If you could have a handheld device that did just what you wanted, what would it do, what would it's features be, etc.

And don't say emulating PS2/xbox/gamecube/whatever, because that's lame and I'm sure everyone wants to be able to do that. =P Come up with some really crazy ideas. Let's make this interesting =D

I've already preordered one ;]

For real though, pretty much just the pandora, but half as thick and with an ion core or a dual core arm, a larger oled screen with hybrid resistive/capacitive touch capabilities. Maybe the ability to fold it so that only the screen was visible, but still a clamshell overall. I'd like it to be just powerful enough for fullspeed dreamcast/naomi and Saturn emulation (and hopefully some kind of x86 dynarec or something just to play half-life). 128gb of internal memory, and dual sdxc micro slots. Throw in a sim card slot for 4g (yes 4g). Add an accelerometer, gyroscope & a swivel camera and you've pretty much got my perfect handheld.

A slightly thinner Pandora with these extra features:

Camera on the back of the screen
Media player buttons somewhere
Insect repellent
Games that aren't emulated

It would be perfect.

Pandora with gaming controls on either side of the screen and a slide out keyboard. Or clam shell but the screen has the ability to twist and fold over the keyboard again with gaming controls on either side of the screen. Also HD video output and a keyboard more like the Dinovo mini from logitech than the current Pandora.

DinoVo mini pic:
5818.1.0.jpg

Basically a pandora with a nicer design.

Ideally, it would be a bit of a hybrid of existing devices.

3.5-3.7" 800x480 capacitive touchscreen
slide out gaming controls (I'd settle for an on-screen keyboard for the smaller form factor, though I checked, and the keyboard from my E71 would fit between the d-pad and buttons of my Game Boy Micro, so a physical keyboard is possible here. I have absolutely no problems with my E71's keyboard.)
3.5" headphone jack plus TV out
MicroSD slot (full size would be nice, but not very realistic)
Ideally it would have about 8GB of built-in flash, too, but this is a "nice to have"
OMAP3 based chipset
HSPA on 850/1900MHz frequencies. 1700MHz (AWS) would be nice but unnecessary, no Canadian providers use it (yet).
Linux-based firmware without silly vendor restrictions, ideally Android, but Maemo 5, WebOS or MobLin would be ok too, in descending order of preference.
5MP or better camera, similar to the higher end N-series phones. Megapixels aren't hugely important, but a good sensor and lens is. Xenon flash would be preferred.

Basically a hybrid of a Pandora, an N-series phone, and an Android phone. This would basically cover any need I could think of and fit in my pocket to boot. Never going to happen, though, so I'll settle for a Pandora and a good phone. This would probably run me well over a grand anyway.

Pandora with the following changes:
  • Larger screen filling the top half of the clamshell (can have side firing speakers or put them in the lower half).
  • Four shoulder buttons.
  • Digital video out.
  • Inbuilt HSPA modem.
  • More USB ports, all full-function.
  • Tablet convertible.
  • Generally more grunt.

Well it's the pandora but just with a x86 processor, i'll know it's never going to happen and also know why, so the pandora is perfect for me :)

I'd like it to arrive less than 6 months after buying it.

Other than that, the Pandora is pretty close. Ideally I'd like gigabit ethernet, 3G, a camera, the ability to detect 3 or more keypresses at once, possibly a more keyboardy keyboard, more standard connectors for things like S-Video and external monitor connectivity, high resolution TV-Out would be nice too. A nice fast reliable SSD would be cool too, and having USB connectors that work as Joe Public would expect would be good (supporting USB 2 and USB 1 on the same connector without an external hub). One or more "internal" USB ports would be good - so a thumb of one sort or another could be plugged in but not hang off the side/back in a fugly manner. Discreet. Reliable.

Just a very simple box with no buttons and a wire that jacks into the back of my head. It creates a virtual reality simulation of a large room containing every computer or games console ever made. The curtains are closed to stop the sunlight getting in and annoying views of people outside flying (they're knocking on the window asking if i'll come out and play).

:lol:

Don't be so sure about that. With the atom processor you could accomplish it today. look at the acer one aspire, it's only about twice as big as a Pandora and if they made the screen and kb smaller, they could probably pull it off.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's the pandora but just with a x86 processor, i'll know it's never going to happen and also know why, so the pandora is perfect for me :"]
Don't be so sure about that. With the atom processor you could accomplish it today. look at the acer one aspire, it's only about twice as big as a Pandora and if they made the screen and kb smaller, they could probably pull it off.

Chris[/quote]They'd still fail on the battery, the CPUs themselves use around 4W but the chipsets often use a lot more. The battery would have to be huge.

That's right, the tech isn't there yet for an x86 pandora clone.

By the time it is there the OMAP4 will be available and things will be interesting to say the least.

You're X86 handheld would be cool, but the OMAP4 will be more powerful and have a MUCH longer battery life.

I guess it will all be down to exactly what PC games the X86 chipset could run.

Chris
Those Atom netbooks are all way more than twice as big. There are some smaller Atom devices but they're really expensive and have poor battery life.

Well it's the pandora but just with a x86 processor, i'll know it's never going to happen and also know why, so the pandora is perfect for me :"]

Chris[/quote]The aspire one generates quite alot of heat (it requires active fan cooling, and even then it can be hot to the touch), and the 3cell battery in the device is atleast 5x the size of the pandora battery yet only has about a 2.25 hour battery life (though about half of the power is used for the LCD screen).

OQO put an x86 CPU into a MID the size of the Pandora, it has ridiculous heat generation and really weak battery life. It was also $1499 upon release. Many, many OQO owners have complained about their devices failing also. They're having so much trouble with their devices that the company will probably go under, since it seems it can't iron out the kinks in their new Atom based model 02+.

By using an x86 CPU you're accepting ridiculously gimped handheld in every single way just so it can have the perk of running Windows.

Back