Your Most Wanted Emulated Game On Pandora? (aka Friday Night Insomnia.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora' Mask
Banjo Kazooie
Super Mario 64
And Warcraft 2 being emulated on DosBox. Wait, that is possible right? :p

Definitely waverace 64 (countless hours playing against mates), perhaps with wireless multiplayer - may have to buy 2 Pandoras just for the occasion! :)

Starcraft 64 (but that doesn't even work on the xbox emulator, so keep dreaming)
Chrono Cross and Vib Ribbon for PSX
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
and BioMenace for DOSBOX

lots of n64 games on peoples wish list... how likely is it that itll even be able to emulate n64 well?

f zero x (n64)
:)

gibberish said:
lots of n64 games on peoples wish list... how likely is it that itll even be able to emulate n64 well?

f zero x (n64)
:)

Good point re n64 emulation - I am optimistic that with time and an impressive piece of coding, n64 is probably pretty achievable - PSP n64 emulation is developing reasonably well, and in the early days of n64 emulation, some games were running exceptionally on very low spec'd PC's with 3D cards.

Time will tell I guess, but in the meantime, Pandora will be loaded with great emulators to pass the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
centrlink said:
Definitely waverace 64 (countless hours playing against mates), perhaps with wireless multiplayer - may have to buy 2 Pandoras just for the occasion! :)
+1 my favorite n64 game right here.

Clad said:
Amit said:
Definitly. Works flawlessly on my crappy linux laptop that doesn't have as much beef as the pandora.

Crappy though your laptop may be, it's still using an x86 processor. Pandora will have a heck of a lot more overhead trying to emulate a DOS machine. You should probably not get your hopes up for WC2.

Chip said:
Clad said:
Amit said:
Definitly. Works flawlessly on my crappy linux laptop that doesn't have as much beef as the pandora.

Crappy though your laptop may be, it's still using an x86 processor. Pandora will have a heck of a lot more overhead trying to emulate a DOS machine. You should probably not get your hopes up for WC2.

http://n0p.tonych.info/?Stratagus_%26amp%3...A_%28640x480%29

Plays warcraft flawlessly at VGA on my PDA. (Except for bad controls and not enough memory for music.)

No reason why it can't run on the Pandora.

How is the fact that my laptop is x86 powered relevant ?

Dosbox is a full blown emulator, it's not like wine or anything, the fact that the architecture emulated is or is not the same as the host doesn't change anything. Just look at the performance of the mac PPC version.

Clad said:
How is the fact that my laptop is x86 powered relevant ?

Dosbox is a full blown emulator, it's not like wine or anything, the fact that the architecture emulated is or is not the same as the host doesn't change anything. Just look at the performance of the mac PPC version.
Going by what Exophase has recently said in another thread, it makes a heck of a difference:

Exophase said:
christo930 said:
It's hard to quantify that last statement and I'm not a developer. I think a big part of the performance problem of dosbox is that it's ported from PC and that on the PC it's target hardware is pretty high. The reason I think emulating a 286 pc with ega graphicsc and an 8 bit sb, is the success of the Amiga emulation and the success of the snes.
Look, we've already been through this. 80286 CPUs are a lot more powerful and more demanding to emulate than 68k (Amiga) and 65c816 (SNES). SNES has a lot of video hardware but it can get frameskipped into submission. DOSBox for PC isn't a slouch and it's certainly not "fast enough" on high end platforms to the point where there's no interest in emulating it. Even on the best CPUs around I doubt it'll emulate at the level of more than a 75MHz Pentium or so and that's really not good enough. But it's expensive. It's true that there are a lot of things it does that are PC specific that haven't been done on the ARM version and it's true that the thing could be faster overall but doing a dynarec is a lot of work.

And I think that that target is not something that's very interesting, I'd expect most people who aren't content with 8088 level emulation will want 386+ emulation.

He was talking about DosBox performance on the GP2X, but the speed bump from the GP2X to the Pandora is not going to allow a performance boost in DosBox to go from an 8088 to a Pentium 60 (the min. requirement for WC2). I don't know squat about programing emulators, but Exo does. I am inclined to take his word for it.

icurafu said:
http://n0p.tonych.info/?Stratagus_%26amp%3...A_%28640x480%29

Plays warcraft flawlessly at VGA on my PDA. (Except for bad controls and not enough memory for music.)

No reason why it can't run on the Pandora.

I was not aware that there was a Strategus module that would allow you to use the WC2 data files directly. That rocks.

Wolfenstein 3D is a must..but only because it was the first 3D game I ever played..

There are many new ports of this game, and updates as well, that would be interesting, I think one even runs on the Doom 3 Engine. It would be nice to see a version of Quake as well..or even Quake III if possible..Anything by ID Software..but then again..im probably going to use this mostly..hopefully for audio if its possible.

I'm working on a site that will have references to Pandora / GP2X feel free to send me some feedback or comment, I'm trying to collect various resources into one place.

Site (in first week of development) Site

Syndicate Wars (no source that I know of though)
Diablo 1 (again no bloody source)
Carmageddon (are we seeing a pattern here)
Fallout 2 (the pain... where is the source)
Jagged Aliance 2 (screen is probably too small for most of the graphics and no sorce)

I like to see the following.

Yoshi's Island (Snes) full speed.
Weapon Lord (Snes) cool game.
Mortal Kombat 4 (N64)
Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade) full speed.
Black Thorne PC (dosbox) full speed
Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64).
Carmageddon this would be sweet. "God damn mother farker" hehe

Metal Gear Solid (can't believe no one has mentioned this one)

The Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 64

i'm gonna have to say oblivion in 1680x1050 resolution. it's possible right, the pandora has an ARM cpu and 128mb ram. B)

seriously though, probably not just one game at all. i like being able to play a variety of games at once. so at least passable SNES, GBA, and NES emulation

Back