Youtube And Flash?

What's wrong with Gnash? If you're after YouTube, Gnash runs it fine. It runs up to Flash 8 almost flawlessly, and has some flash 9 and 10 features. It's better than swfdec, mainly because swfdec is dead and Gnash isn't.

That, of course, is moot if that android thing is for real. It usually doesn't get much better than the original developer's version.

Has Gnash improved that much since I last used it, I wonder? It was hugely unstable and unable to play YouTube videos without causing my machines to overheat and the browser to crash repeatedly, a couple of years ago.

well, it worked fine with me two years ago, but the youtube player had a few looks issues, like a misshaped pause button. It's still very much supported, and they actually released a new version this february!

Gnash is a little glitchy, but it does work. There's also a youtube player in totem.

Hopefully youtube will deploy HTML5+Ogg soon, it would make things a lot easier.

Willrandship said:
well, it worked fine with me two years ago, but the youtube player had a few looks issues, like a misshaped pause button. It's still very much supported, and they actually released a new version this february!
I don't want to introduce any instability to my main box, so I guess I'll have to give it a look on my HP Mini (which I installed Fedora 12 on a few days ago - I'm still experimenting with things on that one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back