1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pyra YouTube Lawyer Simulator: A Game Based Around YouTube Lawsuits! (Need Help Developing)

Discussion in 'Cool Ideas and other wishes' started by DalebitGames, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

1. DalebitGames

DalebitGames Newbie

Well, I decided to actually make an idea for once, and it's an Ace Attorney clone for the Pyra based around satirizing YouTuber's lawsuits and criminal charges as well as the American law system (the charges only get less and less ridiculous).. Unfortunately enough, I think I'd have a hard time developing it myself, since I don't know how to code much and I'm terrible at art and sound. It would take place in 2018 (the defense attorney's name would be Neil Impartial) and have fictional cases that are designed to be as realistic (or as ridiculous) as the concept designers wants them to be. I'm looking for the following people:
    Lead developer: Speaks with everyone else.
    Concept designers: Must design concepts.
    Programmers: Must be capable of programming the game using whatever tools are available to them.
    Artists: Must be capable of creating the art the game needs.
    Animators: Must be capable of creating the animations the game needs.
    Sound and Music creators: Must be capable of creating the sound and music the game needs.

2. directive0

directive0 Very Active Member

Listen, I ain't trying to rain shade on your picnic, but in my opinion you are going about this ALL wrong.

An idea alone is very worth little in this crazy internet world. I can't imagine anyone is going to want to make your game for you if all you can contribute is an idea or a story. The hard work is taking an idea and making it something real with it. The worst part is you've taken your great idea and basically given it away on here!!! What's to stop some asshole from just taking your idea and cutting you out?

But I have good news; It has never been easier to be a jack of all trades. Even with no background in coding, art or design YOU TOO can make a game. How do I know this? In just under a few months I've gone from knowing a few lines of Commodore BASIC to starting to write my own games. They suck, but they're all mine and one day I might even share them with the world!

My advice to you is to pick up a python tutorial, learn pygame and bang out a very rudimentary prototype of what you want to make. THEN try to attract help. If some schlomo like me can do it YOU CAN TOO!

I wish you all the best, and I hope you find some help. If not heed my advice! I BELIEVE IN YOU!

I leave you with this maxim:

3. kuru

kuru Irate Pyrate

That post made me smile. There's that thing I'd like to make but somebody else would have to do all the work involved.
    Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless

I'd say be your own concept designer.
    Try your game idea on paper with a friend in RL. Observe closely, write down what you find and iterate based on that.

Who's your intended audience? Why only Pyra? SDL runs on a number of platforms. Target PC first.
    Can you come up with enough diverse cases to keep the game intersting? Try writing a few based on RL.
    Is finding evidence or debunking false claims in this medium varied enough to make for interesting cases?

There's a lot of material to read out there.
    https://www.theoryoffun.com by Raph Koster
    and the Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell
    On Youtube there's the channels Extra Credits and GDC.

ClockworkCoder and jeeks like this.
  4. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

I hear that a lot, but I heard something very interesting on TIGsource a while ago, where somebody came in saying "I've got great ideas, do my work for me", one guy turned round and said "Actually, you can get any developer in to make something, but actually having a good idea is actually a hard thing".
    I suppose the difference is between having an "idea" and having a "good idea" :)

5. JonnyH

JonnyH Member

Plus, a "single sentence" idea is dime a dozen. Something where all the mechanics and interactions are thought through and well defined is *not*. An "elevator pitch" is nowhere enough to start developing a game in my opinion (unless you intend to "find it as you go along", which means it probably won't look like the initial idea at all, so questions the benefit that "idea" gave)

pmprog likes this.