youtube video

khunkao

Still Fresh
Has anyone had success in reducing the choppiness of Flash and Youtube videos?  I'm running it off Firefox at the moment

I can only play in low res but perhaps there's another plugin for pandora?

In my experience, the best way to view movies is to download them (e.g. using some YouTube downloader) and watch them with a real movie player like mplayer2.

I think there tends to be more reasonable youtube streaming using the android pnd as well but otherwise low res, or downloading and viewing is your better bet.  Pandoras with better WiFi or via a WiFi adapter may also fair better than those with flaky speeds but it's not OPT fault as Adobe simply aren't releasing a decent flash plugin for arm, so it's a hacked version of an experimental release that's in Firefox iirc.  

Html5 youtube sometimes seems okay for me but sometimes won't play at all.

Whatever happened to apps such as Minitube? Do we have anything usable there that can stream instead of downloading?

Ok I downloaded ytdownloader and smplayer2....I'm sure it works fine and all but streaming and playing would be much better.  I don't have all day to wait for the download.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use cutetube (qml tube) on my nokia n9. would be possible to port this to pandora?

Whatever happened to apps such as Minitube? Do we have anything usable there that can stream instead of downloading?
It has a very lazy maintainer. It needs updating to 1.9 so it'll work with YouTube's API. But what it really needs is a way to play 240p streams instead of 360p. There's a app called extended-minitube which implemented this, but only for the 1.71 version, not the latest one - I imagine that its code would be useful in extending the 1.9 version, but I need to get around to it (Additional maintainers are always welcome ...)

Ok I downloaded ytdownloader and smplayer2....placed them into \media\pandora\menu and I cannot find them at all....is the screen just too small to accomodate all the items?  Why can't I see them??
I assume you mean /media/<SD CARD>/pandora/menu? 'Cos that's where they need to be. It's not a screen size issue, there are people who seem to have every PND ever released on their Pandoras.

XFCE shows an entry in its menu when it has a ".desktop" file for it (which live in /usr/share/applications/). ".desktop" files are created by a daemon called pndnotify-init when it notices a change in a special folder like /media/<SD CARD>/pandora/menu (e.g. when you put a new PND in it). Sometimes it's instant, sometimes you have to wait a bit (or, more realistically, sometimes you have to go play a game for a bit).

In contrast, MiniMenu doesn't use ".desktop" files - it works with PND files directly. So if a new PND isn't showing up in XFCE and you're bored of waiting for pndnotify-init, switch to MiniMenu and launch it from there. If MiniMenu can't find it either, it means something is corrupt (the PND file, or your SD card).

Ok I downloaded ytdownloader and smplayer2....I'm sure it works fine and all but streaming and playing would be much better.  I don't have all day to wait for the download.
It should download much faster than actually streaming the video - especially if you opt for a medium or low-res option, 'highest quality available' will often get you a 1080p file that you'd have trouble playing smoothly on the pandora anyway!

@freamon: Why 240p? That just works out of the box with the flash plugin, though not fullscreen for some reason!

360p streams seem to work okay for people with decent wifi (because they've got a usb adapter, or a 1Ghz machine, or they just got lucky) - I was assuming that 240p would work better for everyone else.

As I said, 240p works in Firefox or other browsers with the Flash plugin quite decently. I don't see a big need for an external downloading app for that.

For 360p, I'm able to overclock my Rebirth Pandora to 1Ghz and I dont think it makes a big difference in the flash plugin - its basically unwatchable, in contrast to 240p.

As I said, 240p works in Firefox or other browsers with the Flash plugin quite decently. I don't see a big need for an external downloading app for that.

For 360p, I'm able to overclock my Rebirth Pandora to 1Ghz and I dont think it makes a big difference in the flash plugin - its basically unwatchable, in contrast to 240p.
Youtube runs much better in Android than in SuperZaxxon, but I guess that is to be expected since Google leads the development of the core OS.

It seems 240p is the only way to get decent streamed videos on the Pandora. Pandora Minitube lowest quality is 360p. Would anyone care to fix minitube to be able to playback (without having to download)  videos on 240p? /myaddrproxy.php/http/boards.openpandora.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.png  

Back