Zeebo Has Same Specs As Pandora

Why do you need to register to get basic information?

EDIT: Checked on Wikipedia and it *might* be possible to run some games. They're likely to be DRMed though.

I saw it on engadget, they want to know if you are going to be a developer or user for the system.

Platform
• Qualcomm Chipset
Applications Processing (Audio/Graphics)
• ARM 11 / QDSP-5 running at 528Mhz
3D Graphics Processing
• Qualcomm Adreno 130 Graphics Core
• Mobile Display Processor (MDP) (Concurrent 3D Rendering & Screen Operations)
Internal Memory
• Non-Volatile Memory:
1 GByte NAND Flash
• RAM:
128 MBytes DDR SDRAM + 32Mbyte stacked DDR
SDRAM in MSM7201A
Output Color System
PAL-M and NTSC
Video-Out Resolution
VGA (640 x 480) - 4:3 aspect ratio
Banding
• Quad Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) MHz
• Tri Band UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850/1900/2100) MHz
Antenna
Internal
Modem Processing (Integrated in MSM7201A)
ARM 9 CPU / QDSP-4
Power
External Power Adaptor (Battery Not Required)
Power Supply
100 – 240 V (50-60Hz) (universal)
Three USB 2.0 Standard A (for accessories)
• USB 2.0 OTG – Mini B
(Accessible to Service Centers and Developers only)
• RCA Connector (Video Composite TV Signal, x2 Stereo Audio)
• SD Card Slot / Interface
Power Key Functions
Power On / Power Down / Power Off
Software
BREW-based
Pre-Loaded Content
4 Games + 1 Free Wirelessly Downloaded Game
Audio Formats
• MIDI (72 voice polyphony 512 kB wavetable, 44kHz sampling rate)
• MP3
• PCM
• ADPCM
• CMX
• QCELP
Messaging
SMS, server initiated
User Interface (UI)
Proprietary Zeebo User Interface (Updatable wirelessly)
Console ID
International Mobile Equipment Identity – IMEI

bouncyblob said:
I saw it on engadget, they want to know if you are going to be a developer or user for the system.

Well.. neither. I just wanted see a photo, the specs and keyboard layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, they're very different systems. You won't be able to play Zeebo games on Pandora without recompilation (porting), as they use different graphics chips, different processors, etc.

EDIT: And you won't be able to recompile them without the source, which you won't be able to get for games for a commercial device such as this one.

bouncyblob said:
http://texpine.com/2008/11/12/the-zeebo-console/

Interesting article, though the author is wrong about one thing: It is possible to provide games at "normal" prices even in south america. I spent some time in Chile this year and the prices for games and hardware were abot the same as in Germany, even though there were some professional software pirates. So the extreme prices in Brazil are probably due to ridiculous taxes, something the government is responsible for.

Still, i think the Zeebo business model is a great thing for third world countries, but as always it will be the quality and quantity of the games that determine the outcome of this experiment.

And it looks like the games a programmed in BREW... so thats another thing to take into account

bouncyblob said:
The Zeebo at http://www.zeeboinc.com/ has pretty similar specs to the Pandora. Looking at the games it will be playing, will the Pandora be able to play those games too?

Not even close to the same specs...

It's closer to a PSP in muscle and has an ES 1.0/1.1 capable GPU.

That's more similar to a Wiz than to a Pandora.

And, no, unless you've got Brew on the Pandora, you won't be seeing these games without a port. Unless you've got source or the studio interested in Pandora, you'll not be seeing a port.

I can confirm that... brazil has a 75% or more import tax

(based on what THEY think it is worth...)

$14,000 minivan here = 50,000 dolar minivan there... and the inflation is so bad you can atcually sell it for a higher value in dollars every year you own it ... just don't plan on buying a new one if you sell it a new car might be 90,000 by then :blink:

what is the reason to go for mobile connection instead of ethernet/wifi if it's not portable?
don't really see the use of that except for carrier revue deals?
Anyone who can afford this will have internet around anyway...no?

cb88 said:
I can confirm that... brazil has a 75% or more import tax

(based on what THEY think it is worth...)

$14,000 minivan here = 50,000 dolar minivan there... and the inflation is so bad you can atcually sell it for a higher value in dollars every year you own it ... just don't plan on buying a new one if you sell it a new car might be 90,000 by then :blink:
It's 60%.

And it's not Pay-prt-Play, you just buy the games online and they get downloaded to your console once. You can then play as much as you want.

Polossatik said:
what is the reason to go for mobile connection instead of ethernet/wifi if it's not portable?
don't really see the use of that except for carrier revue deals?
Anyone who can afford this will have internet around anyway...no?
not many wi-fi hot spots here in Brazil AFAIK (someone correct me if i'm wrong), not many people here with broadband access, but the mobile phone networks are widely available. the people here in brazil will likely pay for the console using credit cards so they can divide the price in monthly parcels.(sorry if you didn't understand me, i tried to explain myself the best i could)

BTW i hate the taxes...

take a look at this article
http://www.edge-online.com/features/south-...-lost-continent
the you can see what i'm talking about

wtf, why is it so physically big, yet so weak? A box that size could easily hold a 1GHz processor. Perhaps somebody should make a damn proper open source linux console that's got descent specs. "Zeebo" reminds me of that evo thingy. What a load of tripe.

Back