Zombie Apocalypse

Dutch_Cap said:
I don't know. Being less resource intensive, Quake 2 should allow for much bigger levels. Quake 1 should allow for yet bigger worlds.

The same might be true for the number of players, though Quake 3's networking code may be more optimised.
We would have to do more research on this. I just thought Q3 because of better graphics and it was designed for multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
the rts code would probably need to be from scratch if we decide to do it that way.

whats wrong with an all seeing opponent. I don't see that as a problem. an all-seeing opponent can be fun. no where to hide.

Hiroe said:
the rts code would probably need to be from scratch if we decide to do it that way.

whats wrong with an all seeing opponent. I don't see that as a problem. an all-seeing opponent can be fun. no where to hide.
it'd be nice to be able to hide. it's no fun if zombies are allover you all the time. it's better when it's quiet for a little while and then you open a door and there's a bunch behind it, it's scarier that way :) . And it wouldn't be much fun for single play or with a small group of people.

as for coding, i'd like to see if someone would be willing code this from scratch.

Hiroe said:
I'm in favor of the quake engine, but we need to see what the devs think. I guess you two will have to duke it out. fife or quake? I vote for quake. it's probably easier to get models for and is more complete.
Any free 3d models you find out there can also be used in FIFE by prerendering them. Alternatively, a pixel art style would be very easy to create for. Heck, even I could draw a halfway decent city block in pixel art.

Also, while the Quake code is open source, I don't think the artwork is.

Hiroe said:
why don't you guys make a pro/con sheet on the wiki for this?
I'll get on that soonish.

Hiroe said:
I'd personally like to release this to the community under the gpl.
I'd be OK with anything ranging from BSD to LGPL to GPL.

AI
You can use the built in or go your own way.
I'm playing with the idea of adaptive AI for my project, really "simple" way of adding to the AI in the long run.

Make countermeasures for everything that the player can do
Give the Zombies simple AI (zombies are brain dead and everyone knows that they are controlled by Bill Gates)
Make a data storage for scenarios, for ex.

Zombies walk down street >> Players build blockades >> Server puts action to memory >> Server makes Zombies do counter action

Then server keeps "score" of what the players does, counts casualties and calculates from know tactics, for ex.

57% chance players block of main street
15% Players have a Sniper on a roof
27% a lone Player goes commando in area 12

and so on and then the server "orders" the Zombies to attack where the players often are weakest etc and split the forces etc making for a more dynamic game since the same tactic might work a few times but then the server learns and if a server tactic is working then it will keep using it until Players figure out a way to beat it and so on.

Also if the server restarts etc you could have a
over all statistics and a session one

this could also be added on to incorporate specific players preference, the possibilities are endless ;)

-- If you don't want to need a "DM" that is

PlopperZ said:
Hiroe said:

it'd be nice to be able to hide. it's no fun if zombies are allover you all the time. it's better when it's quiet for a little while and then you open a door and there's a bunch behind it, it's scarier that way :) . And it wouldn't be much fun for single play or with a small group of people.

as for coding, i'd like to see if someone would be willing code this from scratch.

Don't hide, barricade.

But, OpenArena's is

By modding Quake I think we could make it look better than even the best pixel game.

agreed. but the people who can actually code always have the last say. let's wait till we see the pro/con sheet

There is little need for any one to code at the moment, the quake zombies come after who ever is nearer to them, download quake 1 from IDs website and goto level 3 i think, the zombies show up there. You might also want to grab the openGL quake to see how it would look on the pandora.

Also you can angle the quake engine to be above, from behind, from eye view etc.

PlopperZ said:

But, OpenArena's is

At a first glance, I wouldn't want to use any of that. I would however like to use the Zombies from quake 1. I wonder if we could get away with using just the zombies from quake 1? That would just be legitemate sampling. :D

PlopperZ said:
By modding Quake I think we could make it look better than even the best pixel game.
I don't care much about graphics, but I guess I'm the exception.

I agree. lets do a quake 1 mod. if we can add rts zombie controls then half the game is done right there, that is if your following my game suggestion.

There isn't any RTS mod for Quake as far as I can see. But If we're going to go with this we've got to have two game modes or something. One RTS/FPS and one with our full MMOFPS. I'd still like to see different types of zombies, but if skinning is too difficult, then I would be happy with just Quake zombies.

Nonis said:
Holokauston said:
Is there any Quake 1 RTS mods? if there are then you might be able to ninja some of that?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/4731/basewars-qw
It's an RTS mod with two teams. You build a base and defend it, I guess. Haven't played it yet though.

Hmm doesn't look very easy to use, since "dm" would maybe play against 5-8 players he would need a good oversight and easy controls like select, point and click :)

Nonis said:
Holokauston said:
Is there any Quake 1 RTS mods? if there are then you might be able to ninja some of that?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/4731/basewars-qw
It's an RTS mod with two teams. You build a base and defend it, I guess. Haven't played it yet though.

That looks like it has buildings and resources, but not the RTS interface we are looking for.

Although I like quake and full 3d, I think dutch_cap might be able to make a full on mmorpg if we use the fife engine. if he can make an mmo then I'm all for using fife.

Back