16 Bit Emus On Dreamcast

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
With all the fun I have been having playing with my GP32 I had totally forgotten that I have a Dreamcast in the cupboard gathering dust. I downloaded SNES and Megadrive emus for it ages ago but they were pretty ropey. Does anyone know is there are any full speed SNES or Megadrive (aka Genesis) emus available for Dreamcast? If so, which are the best?

Cheers,

J(ohn)

There is a few emulators out there for the Genesis on the DC. The homebrewn one is doing good, but still needs some work. The other emulator is a hack out of the Sega Smash Pack for the DC. Of course, since Sega made it and knew what they were dong, it's near perfect. Somebody also made a better loader (the LEMEC load) for it as with the original loader, you had to scroll up/down through each individual file/rom. The other one, you can continuously scroll up/down or do a page scroll with it. The only problem is that it can't be made to self-boot very easily.

SNES is ok, genesis is hit and miss. When the link cable between DC and GP comes out (and if EMU authors support it) you should be able to transfer saves from one to another.

Thanks for the info folks. I'm unsure which versions of the emus I tried way back when but I guess they were quite early versions. If memory serves the Genesis emu wasn't bad but I got sick of scrolling through all the roms - I guess this is the one that was the hack of the Sega Smash Pack. I'll see if I can find the LEMEC loader...

I'd actually forgotton that I had a Dreamcast but seeing all the homebrew games etc on www.dcemulation.com has definately given me a damn good reason to dig it out of the cupboard once more.

Cheers,

J(ohn)

I got a dreamcast

I would like to play snes on it...

would I need a mod chip??

and if I would what are the good ones and easy to install and my friend's dad is and electrition so he could do it...

DemonStar55 posted on Feb 27 2004 at 07:52 PM said:
I got a dreamcast

and if I would what are the good ones and easy to install and my friend's dad is and electrition so he could do it...
"Most" current emu's boot directly without a boot disc, but some still do need it, either way, I have never needed a mod chip to play either homebrew or commercial games on my dreamcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
lynx2oo2 posted on Feb 27 2004 at 03:13 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Feb 27 2004 at 07:52 PM said:
I got a dreamcast

"Most" current emu's boot directly without a boot disc, but some still do need it, either way, I have never needed a mod chip to play either homebrew or commercial games on my dreamcast.
okay cool Ill go try that snes emu

Hmmmm.... Dreamcasts are selling for apples. if i were to buy one, how would i go about playing homebrew?

Deleted User posted on Feb 28 2004 at 04:56 PM said:
Hmmmm.... Dreamcasts are selling for apples. if i were to buy one, how would i go about playing homebrew?
You'll need a DC a CD burner, www.dcemulation.com and a few blank CD's.

dream snes is the emulator you want for snes on th dc.But I have never found agood genesis emu yet.Will look for the one metioned above.

A friend of bine just bought a dreamcast from ebay for £14 including postage!! So it's definitley worth trying.

A long, long time ago
In a galaxy far away
Naboo was under an attack
And I thought me and Qui-Gon Jinn
Could talk the federation into
Maybe cutting them a little slack
But their response, it didn't thrill us
They locked the doors and tried to kill us
We escaped from that gas
Then met Jar Jar and Boss Nass
We took a bongo from the scene
And we went to Theed to see the Queen
We all wound up on Tatooine
That's where we found this boy...

An they were singin my my this here anikin guy
Maybe vader someday later now he's just a small fry
He left his mom and kissed his daddy good bye
Singing soon im gonna be a jedi

Totaly off topic but i couldnt resist :D

FRIBBLE posted on Feb 28 2004 at 05:51 PM said:
dream snes is the emulator you want for snes on th dc.But I have never found agood genesis emu yet.Will look for the one metioned above.

A friend of bine just bought a dreamcast from ebay for £14 including postage!! So it's definitley worth trying.
Back On Topic:

The Genesis emu that we're all talking about here is actually a hack of the Sega Smash Pack for the DC. Places like dcemulation.com don't like talk about it. I could care less because Sega was stupid enough not to release it in any other way consider the DC still has such a huge homebrew following now. I still have to check out this DreamSNES, but I don't like SNES enough to bother yet.

The DC rules in so many ways, I can't believe that people who own GP32's don't own DC's as well. :shrug:

After a bit of digging I've found the Genesis emu that's based on the Sega Smash Pack. It's called Segagen and as NssOne said you can also get LEMEC loader which improves the interface for it.

It's available for download along with a load of other useful DC stuff from Kain Komiks site (have a search on Google for URL). I'm fairly sure there are no roms or anything on there so hopefully no-one will be offended by me posting the URL.

J(ohn)

Back