1GHz units, Classic units, repairs and TV-Out Cables (2012-08-24)

Very bad idea to offer the P2, a device which we know next to nothing about and doesn't exist yet, as a reward, DREDD. All that can possibly do is ruin OP's chance to use Kickstarter for the P2 successfully.

But even without that, doing a kickstarter to fund old Pandora orders doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's technically against Kickstarter's rules, but who would want to fund that?

So ED has the 1GHz in his shop now? When will I get my 1GHz upgrade unit from Craig? Or has he already spent the money on coke and hookers?

All that can possibly do is ruin OP's chance to use Kickstarter for the P2 successfully.

Yes of course, my little project would ruin OP's chance to use Kickstarter for the P2, why didn't I think of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I trust the original orders will be filled sooner or later. Anyone who really does want a Pandora and has a job or source of pocket money (parent) can upgrade; and I suppose they will receive their "Rebirth" or "1GHz" Pandora fairly promptly, because that's what happened with me, twice.

For one lucky unemployed orphan among you, I expect to have one spare
heart.png
512MB "Rebirth Edition" Pandora, in perfect condition in stock within a week. I'm happy to do some sort of dance to "swap" that with some unhappy customer who pre-ordered back in the day, at no extra cost to you (I would expect to receive the $300 from Craig or ED at some stage, or it could be credited to a future purchase).

It would ship immediately. I believe LineOf7s was in the market for this particular Pandora, so I'll prefer to offer it to him if he's still interested. No obstacles shall prevent this transaction going down if LineOf7 will say "yes".

The Pandora on offer might come with 2 x 32GB SanDisk class 10 cards and a spare battery if you're nice to me. That's an extra $100 value. PM or email me. Here is my shop for any further orders. I would be happy if you will simply express interest in one of the products on offer.

You'll notice I'm offering this Pandora at $300 instead of the correct price which is $500, because I'm such a nice guy and I feel for the suffering pre-order people. It is nominally a "used" item; however the use was fairly much limited to opening the box, turning on the Pandora, turning it off again, and putting it back in the box.

I expect to have more Pandoras for sale or exchange shortly.

You're offering a Pandora you don't have and which still has (as of writing) almost six days to go before the successful bidder is decided (eBay link here). It's entirely possible that someone "who really does want a Pandora and has a job or source of pocket money" will win the auction, rather than yourself. Who knows, it might even be me.

(Side note: just because people are able to pay more money to upgrade doesn't mean they should and doesn't make them an "unemployed orphan" if they choose not to, and the apparently pervasive belief these days that such a person is 'tight' or 'unsupportive' or whatever because they do not is just the sort of insidious fanboi cancer that's been spreading through the boards over the last year or so and driving away many of the people that used to make this place somewhere exceedingly pleasant to be.)

Whilst I'll acknowledge that on paper it appears your heart is in the right place, I'll have no part in your hair-brained delusional schemes thankyou. I urge anyone else who considers doing so to keep in mind that the link above is an eBay link for a barely-used 512MB Rebirth Edition Pandora, with a flat-rate shipping fee world-wide of $AU15. It's currently sitting at $AU172.50. Grab a bargain, and leave Mr DREDD to his fantastical philanthropy.

It's currently sitting at $AU172.50. Grab a bargain

In fact it's currently sitting at $301 unless you are me. Are you me?

But wait, I'm employed and all three of my parents are still alive!

So it cannot be that you are me. You, me, It cannot be. I'm sorry.

I didn't think an unemployed orphan with an outstanding pre-order

could afford to pay a fair price for a brand-newish Pandora computer,

so I was trying to help out.

I expect to have ... within a week

almost six days to go

Agreement!

Yes of course, my little project would ruin OP's chance to use Kickstarter for the P2, why didn't I think of that.

If you try to sell the Pandora 2 prematurely, yes! It may not be a likely, but a large number of idiots may think you're official and then blame OP when it doesn't deliver. Or, people might think, "hey, this was being sold more than a year ago on Kickstarter, why are they doing it again?" and publicly complain that OP is cheating the system or something.

Again, in case you missed it, "there was no contract", You can't breach anything that is not written.
A contract doesn't need to be written on paper and signed, a contract is any sort of agreement and is legally binding no matter what form it's in. A written and signed contract is easier to prove that both parties agreed to the stipulations in said contract, but emails have been used as effectively in other cases, and I can imagine even a reasonable verbal contract couldn't be argued against. Even if there wasn't an email chain, CC promised to do some work: it'd be pretty easy to prove approximately how much work was agreed to by the spare parts that were shipped to them (receipts for which should be kept somewhere) and also easy to prove how many had been produced and shipped. All Craigix and EvilDragon need to do is demonstrate the outstanding units and the time it took to produce, then show how a different company with a similar setup has had no problems to prove incompetence. Once they've demonstrated CC as incompetent the next step is proving that the incompetence has cost them.

Assuming that neither of them has ever lied to us about the circumstances surrounding how CC screwed them over (leaving out details about how OPT could have avoided the mess themselves, for example) then it seems like a pretty open and shut case, signed piece of paper or not.

To be specific..

Open and shut case (well, not really, they never are that easy), that would take many months of lawyer fees to manage, for a bunch of guys who live in other countries than CC operates in.

jeff

Fair enough, but that'd be true even if they had a signed piece of paper (which they may have, I don't remember anyone saying they didn't, just that there's no contract between Craig and Michael, but I may have forgotten)

To be specific..

Open and shut case (well, not really, they never are that easy), that would take many months of lawyer fees to manage, for a bunch of guys who live in other countries than CC operates in.

jeff

A Dutch saying:

You can't pluck a bald chicken.

Let's say justice is done and they have to give Craig 500k (random number) it's a waste of time if they don't have it.

So the first question before you lawyer up is:

Is CC solvent and profitable enough to be better of paying any succesfull claims rather then folding and leaving you with a shitload of legal costs on top of the money you've already lost?

Always be carefull not to send good money after bad money.

If CC went insolvent after OPT was awarded their money, the company would be liquidated and OPT would still get at least a portion of the money back. I would be surprised if CC didn't have enough capital to at least cover lawyer fees though, even if OPT doesn't get the full amount. There's also insurance to consider, CC is a long standing company and probably has something they can leverage to ensure they continue to exist. Once OPT stabilizes, it's the first thing I'd suggest they get.

If CC went insolvent after OPT was awarded their money, the company would be liquidated and OPT would still get at least a portion of the money back. I would be surprised if CC didn't have enough capital to at least cover lawyer fees though, even if OPT doesn't get the full amount. There's also insurance to consider, CC is a long standing company and probably has something they can leverage to ensure they continue to exist. Once OPT stabilizes, it's the first thing I'd suggest they get.

If you know that as a fact and it's an open and shut case as suggested earlier in the thread it's a no brainer which choice to make. Actually they should allocate all their available funds to it right now.

Wish things were so absolute certain and transparant for me in my business decisions!

If you know that as a fact and it's an open and shut case as suggested earlier in the thread it's a no brainer which choice to make. Actually they should allocate all their available funds to it right now.
No, they shouldn't allocate all their available funds, that'd be stupid. Just because it's a no-brainer case doesn't mean it won't take months, or even years. Until the case is resolved, they'd still need to pay lawyers out of pocket, and like you said, there's a chance that CC could go insolvent, and even if they do get some of their awarded amount it wouldn't be the full amount: they need to decide whether it's worth it to pursue. Based on the size of CC and how old the company is it would be my advice to pursue it on the side as possible: throwing full weight at the case would certainly get them to a resolution faster, but their primary business would suffer in the interim.

Wish things were so absolute certain and transparant for me in my business decisions!
Ok, you ever find yourself in a situation where you know you'd win a lawsuit, you go right ahead and flush your business down the drain without consideration.

No, they shouldn't allocate all their available funds, that'd be stupid. Just because it's a no-brainer case doesn't mean it won't take months, or even years. Until the case is resolved, they'd still need to pay lawyers out of pocket, and like you said, there's a chance that CC could go insolvent, and even if they do get some of their awarded amount it wouldn't be the full amount: they need to decide whether it's worth it to pursue. Based on the size of CC and how old the company is it would be my advice to pursue it on the side as possible: throwing full weight at the case would certainly get them to a resolution faster, but their primary business would suffer in the interim.

Ok, you ever find yourself in a situation where you know you'd win a lawsuit, you go right ahead and flush your business down the drain without consideration.

Thanks, will do!

I'll concede to your superior knowledge in this matter. Please don't pass me up whenever you have a tip for a sure thing in horse racing or the stock exchange either! No sour grapes right?

I'll concede to your superior knowledge in this matter. Please don't pass me up whenever you have a tip for a sure thing in horse racing or the stock exchange either! No sour grapes right?
No sour grapes from me, but your post is definitely dripping with it. Whatever I've done to warrant such hostile sarcasm I apologize you feel it necessary to lash out.

Urm, you talk about mistrust, but you said you'd be offering a Pandora 2 (signed by whom?) as a perk. Where would you get such a thing given that it's not an available product?

Obvious troll is extremely obvious. I must be old, but I can't for my life understand the whole point of this kind of stuff.

Urm, you talk about mistrust, but you said you'd be offering a Pandora 2 (signed by whom?) as a perk. Where would you get such a thing given that it's not an available product?

Obvious troll is extremely obvious. I must be old, but I can't for my life understand the whole point of this kind of stuff.

Heh where I am from there is a current newspaper campaign going on against trolls. It's kinda funny because it has made everything worse. Trolls are in overdrive right now trying to be as offensive as possible in the hope to make the paper. What did they think would happen? Lets give people who crave negative attention as much negative attention as possible and on a national scale.

I think the really sad thing is that this took the spotlight rather than massive cuts to education and other programs :/

4257900-3x4-700x933.jpg

That being said, I have yet to see anybody else offering what the Pandora offers. It's just unfortunate the fact that things are taking so long. I hope that ED's company is able to recover at least some damages from CC as I can't imagine that there isn't some sort of breach of contract there.

Again, in case you missed it, "there was no contract", You can't breach anything that is not written.

Of course there was a contract here. CC didn't just produce the units they produced to the OPT specifications and hope that after the retooling that the OPT would pay for them. No, there was some form of contract involved here otherwise CC wouldn't have begun the process of producing the units.

Without knowing the specifics of the deal, I would be very much surprised if the OPT, or really at this point ED, wasn't entitled to damages from the way that CC failed to deliver the goods or at points even keep the project updated about the process. Now, collecting them could well be another matter entirely.

I think the really sad thing is that this took the spotlight rather than massive cuts to education and other programs :/
Absolutely!

It was also pointed out on another site, that the two people in the advert at the top of the page were basically trolls too, which was even more ironic.

Absolutely!

It was also pointed out on another site, that the two people in the advert at the top of the page were basically trolls too, which was even more ironic.

Oh that paper is filled with what you would call trolls themselves or at least a few professional paid ones.

Our country put a price on carbon which raised electricity prices by 7% this is after the 80% increase in the last few years because of network upgrades. All of a sudden they started going "how many pensioners have to die before they will revoke the carbon tax"

Now I get they don't like the tax but that is just stupid.

Back