1GHz units, Classic units, repairs and TV-Out Cables (2012-08-24)

Okay after all this confusion on my part, (probably somewhere on the boards already), can someone tell me about how much the upgrade will cost from 1st batch to 1GHz? (I'm sorry if this is already answered.) And can someone direct me to where to find out how to make a tv out cable possibly without soldering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay after all this confusion on my part, (probably somewhere on the boards already), can someone tell me about how much the upgrade will cost from 1st batch to 1GHz?
The upgrade will cost 370 € plus shipping costs when you order from ED. See here.

as opposed to being unsure whether it's a good idea to cancel and reorder with ED, or whatever the case may be.

I think both ED and Craigix have said that that's never a good idea, especially if you've been waiting a very long time already. Ordering from ED now would put you at the back of the line, regardless of how close to coming up you were in Craigix's que. But wait, this might be nonsense, because maybe that's only if you're an original preorderer who hasn't upgraded.

Back of the line? They are in stock in ED's shop.

Not only that ED has them waiting to ship to Craig just Craig has not paid for the units to send to his customers.

That is why everyone is pissed off. What the hell was the point of preordering?

Not only that ED has them waiting to ship to Craig just Craig has not paid for the units to send to his customers.

Why does this have to be explained so many times.. read the items in bold, but it may be best to read the whole thing.. He explains the only units that Craig is buying off ED is the 1Ghz units. the rest flow to Craig on a regular basis.

Some things need to be set correctly here.

1. I never founded a new company, Craig and me had different companies from the very beginning.

2. The units that are being made from the profit of the new 600MHz units are equally shared between me and Craig. So yes, he is getting free units. And to those who think this is unfair as Craig had more preorders left: I bought off all parts from Craigs company. My company is completely paying the production. My company took a credit of 350,000 EUR (the investors) to keep going. From a business point of view, it's totally crazy what my company does: Basically my company had the deal with Craigs company that my company gets 800 Pandoras and Craigs company gets 4000 LCDs for that. My company provided it, Craigs company didn't (thanks to CC). So from a business point of view, my company had to take a credit because Craigs company couldn't deliver the paid goods. Craigs company basically owes my company money, and still my company bought off the parts from his one and sends him free Pandoras.

So from a business point of view, my company is doing crazy things. Instead of sending free units, it should try to get the money back instead. Craigs company had the deal with CC, my company only had a deal with Craigs. So while Craigs company could sue CC, my company could actually try to sue Craigs company.

Good. Now let's use human sense: While this is the situation of both our companies, both you and I know very well that it was CC leading to these issues, not Craig and not his company. We worked on the Pandora together. I want to support both you and Craig. So I'm not going to behave like an idiot and only try to keep my company alive, I'm also trying to keep Craigs company alive. That's why I share units made from the profit with him. Is that what you call unfair?

3. The only difference are the 1GHz units. Craig wanted to sell them himself and I can't afford to send him these additional units for free. So he can buy the 1GHz units for production costs and his company keeps the profit. With that profit he can do whatever he wants. He already funded 10 more units for his classic preorders and A LOT of refunds with the profit he made so far on the 1GHz units.

Refunds also make the remaining queue smaller, but not in an order. As long as Craig pays production costs of his 1GHz units to me, I will deliver them to him.

So basically:

Rebirth units: Each 3 units sold fund one preorder, equally shared to Craig and me.

1GHz unit: Craigs sales fund his old orders, my sales fund my old orders.

That quote from ED should almost be pinned somewhere for easy access, it clears up 80% of the questions people ask, perhaps some more information could be added to cover the other 20%, but we should have like a "This is What's Up" page that can be quickly linked to for angry misinformed posts.

That quote from ED should almost be pinned somewhere for easy access, it clears up 80% of the questions people ask, perhaps some more information could be added to cover the other 20%, but we should have like a "This is What's Up" page that can be quickly linked to for angry misinformed posts.

Indeed, the whole production situation just sucks as a result of CC being unable to keep up it's end of the bargain. Which isn't really Craig's or ED's fault, although if I understand things, CC doesn't usually do work this complex. And of course for the pre-orderers like myself that have been waiting for nearly 4 years to receive their orders.

That being said, I have yet to see anybody else offering what the Pandora offers. It's just unfortunate the fact that things are taking so long. I hope that ED's company is able to recover at least some damages from CC as I can't imagine that there isn't some sort of breach of contract there.

And yes, I think havaing that explanation as a stick should make it a lot quicker to explain things. Now that I understand how things shook out, I'm back to being patient. I didn't really have a good grasp on exactly how all of this had shaken out with the business plan as the information was spread across several different threads.

God forbid I should stand in the way of the white knights indignantly having to explain this again "so many times", but kasp was asking specifically about the point of preordering the 1GHz units. The one kasp preordered from Craig and is waiting for which is sitting in ED's shop waiting for Craig to buy from him in order to fulfil preorders like kasp's.

More information in this thread.

The drama about "classic" and "upgraded" preorders of 600MHz machines is a whole 'nother kettle of stinking fish.

Why does this have to be explained so many times.. read the items in bold, but it may be best to read the whole thing.. He explains the only units that Craig is buying off ED is the 1Ghz units. the rest flow to Craig on a regular basis.
There is no division in queues nor does it matter which queues are bigger or not, nothing is shared here between me or Craig, this only happens with the classic preorders.

It's as simple as that: 1GHz units are being produced and Craig can get the for production costs from me.

As many as he wants and pays.

There will be 150 more in September and from October on we can produce up to 250 per week.

So ther is no real "how many of this batch" will go to Craig - there is no real batch.

A full batch is 1000 units, and I can get up to 250 of those per week when I tell GC I need them.

I haven't received any payment yet and I don't know when or how much I will get. A bank transfer needs several days from UK to Germany, usually.

As soon as I get the payment from Craig, I will send the amount of units corresponding the payment he send me to him.

I have enough units here, so there is no problem with that.

I am a 1 Ghz the reason ED hasn't shipped the 1Ghz pre orders to Craig is because Craig has not paid for them. Hence why I said what was the point of pre ordering with Craig.He guaranteed we would have them before the general public. That is just not true when anyone right now can purchase a unit right now from ED. While we are waiting for Craig to do the difficult task of using net banking and sending remittance.

Just another blow to the fan base really. To be honest there has been drama every step of the way in this project. I know some of it is unavoidable that were affected by external influences but there is an awful lot of internal things that have caused massive backlash and delays as well.

I'm often amused by the ironic juxtaposition of your snide posts and "supporter" badge.

Okay after all this confusion on my part, (probably somewhere on the boards already), can someone tell me about how much the upgrade will cost from 1st batch to 1GHz?
The upgrade will cost 370 € plus shipping costs when you order from ED. See here.

Thank you and I'm sorry for such newbie questions. I appreciate the kind and supportive answers to my obvious and newbie-like questions.

~Pandora Over Everything~

<--TripleC-->

Is there a compatible usb to hdmi cable or a usb tv out cable? Is there a way for two player compatibility with usb controller or controllers?

<--TripleC-->

Is there a compatible usb to hdmi cable or a usb tv out cable? Is there a way for two player compatibility with usb controller or controllers?

USB -> hdmi or USB -> tv wont work, because the USB speed is far from being fast enough to transmit enough information for video. It may work if you are simply using the Pandora for a fixed screen presentation, but not for videos or games.

USB -> hdmi or USB -> tv wont work, because the USB speed is far from being fast enough to transmit enough information for video. It may work if you are simply using the Pandora for a fixed screen presentation, but not for videos or games.

Thank you ekianjo!

Okay, is there support for multiple usb controllers?

<--TripleC-->

That being said, I have yet to see anybody else offering what the Pandora offers. It's just unfortunate the fact that things are taking so long. I hope that ED's company is able to recover at least some damages from CC as I can't imagine that there isn't some sort of breach of contract there.

Again, in case you missed it, "there was no contract", You can't breach anything that is not written.

Okay, is there support for multiple usb controllers?

Yeah you will need a USB 2.0 hub even with one controller, but you can connect more than one and it will work fine.

The Pandora Does have Analog TV out.. With S-Video It's actually not too bad.

-----

@Kasp, sorry by reading what you wrote I swore you were talking about the original pre-orders..

@LineO7s - Your not helping anybody.

TV-out with svideo is pretty good, I watch a lot of movies that way..

Multiple controllers can be done with USB (via a hub as noted above) or with bluetooth controllers.

One caveat is not a lot of game/emu software supports bluetooth or usb controllers, or >1 of them. Most games/emus assume the built in controls :/ Still, a few do well (notaz' work, such as picodrive, and hatari, are the ones that spring to mind as working nicely.)

jeff

I trust the original orders will be filled sooner or later. Anyone who really does want a Pandora and has a job or source of pocket money (parent) can upgrade; and I suppose they will receive their "Rebirth" or "1GHz" Pandora fairly promptly, because that's what happened with me, twice.

For one lucky unemployed orphan among you, I expect to have one spare
heart.png
512MB "Rebirth Edition" Pandora, in perfect condition in stock within a week. I'm happy to do some sort of dance to "swap" that with some unhappy customer who pre-ordered back in the day, at no extra cost to you (I would expect to receive the $300 from Craig or ED at some stage, or it could be credited to a future purchase).

It would ship immediately. I believe LineOf7s was in the market for this particular Pandora, so I'll prefer to offer it to him if he's still interested. No obstacles shall prevent this transaction going down if LineOf7 will say "yes".

The Pandora on offer might come with 2 x 32GB SanDisk class 10 cards and a spare battery if you're nice to me. That's an extra $100 value. PM or email me. Here is my shop for any further orders. I would be happy if you will simply express interest in one of the products on offer.

You'll notice I'm offering this Pandora at $300 instead of the correct price which is $500, because I'm such a nice guy and I feel for the suffering pre-order people. It is nominally a "used" item; however the use was fairly much limited to opening the box, turning on the Pandora, turning it off again, and putting it back in the box.

I expect to have more Pandoras for sale or exchange shortly.

I think I will start a kickstarter project to fully-fund the original pre-orders.

I can't think of anything that would be more helpful to the general mood in our community.

Perks would include a signed Pandora 2 with solid platinum case, and a full collection of free and commercial games and software.

And a ticket to the new DREDD movie. And a complete collection of 2000AD comics. And a pineapple flavoured popsicle engraved with your callsign.

The trouble is I'm sufficiently unpopular that no one would support my kickstarter campaign or trust me to deliver the goods.

Ah well, unfounded mistrust is a curse for the weak-minded criminals and criminally-inclined people among us.

edit: it will have to be a non-kickstarter project since kickstarter is USA-centric

As a teaser, the least-expensive perk will be a unique photo of Craigix being pelted with Tomatoes at La Tomatina 2013 in Valencia, Spain.

Ah well, unfounded mistrust is a curse for the weak-minded criminals and criminally-inclined people among us.
Urm, you talk about mistrust, but you said you'd be offering a Pandora 2 (signed by whom?) as a perk. Where would you get such a thing given that it's not an available product?

Also, I'm not sure if Kickstarter would accept a project like that seeing as though you're not the one producing the Pandoras (I might be wrong though, I don't know the KS rules)

Urm, you talk about mistrust, but you said you'd be offering a Pandora 2 (signed by whom?) as a perk. Where would you get such a thing given that it's not an available product?

It would ship after it does become an available product, and after the metal-worker has finished engraving runes of blessing on the platinum case. I estimated Christmas 2013. And for that price, it will be signed by whomever you like.

Back