240*320 Resolution

Last time I checked, SDL was about as fast as Libcastor for direct pixel access. I`ll likely use Libcastor in the future for real 320x240, but chances are most people will want to use SDL like on the GP2X, so it really shouldn`t be held backwards by anything.

Edit: `

SDL already has an option to switch modes in there.
CODE

320x240
SDL_SetLcdChange(LCD_DIRECTION_ON_CMD,0);

240x320
SDL_SetLcdChange(LCD_DIRECTION_OFF_CMD ,0);

'Exophase' said:
'Flavor' said:
I thought that I already posted the "library".
http://www.devrs.com/gp32/files/xlatgp32.s

Close, you mentioned it by filename, no link though.

Yeah, I figured most people knew about Google. I wasn't sure if I should link directly to it.

'Exophase' said:
[Unfortunately this routine only works on 8bit framebuffers, so it won't be universally useful. It's also not quite optimal, although with the write buffer characteristics I found on Wiz I doubt you could improve it very much (there is a one cycle stall in there)... still, if you merge it up to do 4x4 blocks and 32bit writes it'll possibly be faster.

I'm curious now, I'll probably do some benching later. Then if it's better, withhold the source from GPH for a while so they try to fix the problem :/
I didn't expect that xlat routine to be a direct drop-in. I originally threw it out there just to understand if it was a similar issue. I kinda figured that some people around here would remember that whole rotation business (which I thought was a PITA).

I'll be interested to hear what you come up with on the benchmarks. I bet the clear winner will still be "Do it the right way!"

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this mean for me if I were to buy a Wiz? Will emulators not go fullspeed because of this? Or about how much will performance be degraded?

Thanks in advance
/A noob

'apple123' said:
What does this mean for me if I were to buy a Wiz? Will emulators not go fullspeed because of this? Or about how much will performance be degraded?

Thanks in advance
/A noob
The diagonal line is only noticeable in rare situations. Personally i won't use the rotated video mode.

'Franxis' said:
The diagonal line is only noticeable in rare situations. Personally i won't use the rotated video mode.
I first noticed the diagonal line when testing Myriad, you can plainly see it during the planet explode sequences.

Anything with any form of heavy scrolling like the Boomshine2x menu transitions or playing sonic games etc high light it fairly well. However, it is not really the end of the world but still ruins the perfection of having such a nice screen really.

I'm not going to do a 240x320 mode either until someone tells me exactly why the problem is there and why it can't be fixed in software.

This is the weirdest screen fault I've ever heard of!

I mean, if it was a vertical line or a horizontal line that would be one thing, but a precise diagonal line corner-to-corner? That involves every row and every column in a very precise timing sequence. That's just mad!

'Firefox' said:
This is the weirdest screen fault I've ever heard of!

I mean, if it was a vertical line or a horizontal line that would be one thing, but a precise diagonal line corner-to-corner? That involves every row and every column in a very precise timing sequence. That's just mad!
It's not a diagonal line, it's a diagonal.. tear. Like, the upper triangle is frame N and the lower triangle is frame N + 1.

Actually Gizmondo has exact same issue and I hate it much. I doubt GPH is going to fix it, to me it looks like a portrait LCD is connected (like on GP32) and display controller is unable to do the rotation properly.

its really obvious in the some of the video's. i wont buy one unless they fix it. well actually im in 2 minds anyway after reading some of the disappointed remarks re the benchmarks.

'gibberish' said:
its really obvious in the some of the video's. i wont buy one unless they fix it. well actually im in 2 minds anyway after reading some of the disappointed remarks re the benchmarks.
The worst game for it is probably Sonic and that isn't really terrible.

'Exophase' said:
It's not a diagonal line, it's a diagonal.. tear. Like, the upper triangle is frame N and the lower triangle is frame N + 1.
Ah, like they'd mapped the framebuffer to a couple of triangles or a quad to do the scaling (even though it's 1:1) instead of streaming the framebuffer to the display directly?

I suppose it could be a hardware issue, then, if the only way to get the chipset to display a 2D framebuffer is to route it through the 3D engine...

Firefox said:
'Exophase' said:
Ah, like they'd mapped the framebuffer to a couple of triangles or a quad to do the scaling (even though it's 1:1) instead of streaming the framebuffer to the display directly?

I suppose it could be a hardware issue, then, if the only way to get the chipset to display a 2D framebuffer is to route it through the 3D engine...

I think I see it doing 3d operations also, its hard to see since quake is dark.

In my opinion any side to side game its going to show up.

I don't have much knowledge of gaming resolutions yet, but what's so bad about playing 320*240 games on 240*320 resolutions anyway? How will it affect the game/display etc on the wiz?

'Hirolaser' said:
I don't have much knowledge of gaming resolutions yet, but what's so bad about playing 320*240 games on 240*320 resolutions anyway? How will it affect the game/display etc on the wiz?
I'm guessing there's a speed hit using 240x320 to render 320x240, because rotation will be done in software instead on the fly by hardware. How much of a speed hit I don't know.

Can the 3d accelerator be used for rotating the screen? .. I mean I use opengl scaling on my pc all the time, so I would presume that chip would know how to do it. That's probably going to go underutilized in most emus in any case... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

'Peter R' said:
'gibberish' said:
The worst game for it is probably Sonic and that isn't really terrible.

Well, that always depends on the player. I tried Sonic and I would not play it on the WIZ.
I also wouldn't play a game without sound, I know a lot of people have no problem with that.

Some won't care about, some will, but that tearing is definately noticeable.

Last edited:
Back