256MB / 512MB / 600MHz / 1GHz

Fzero

Advanced Member
I feel there are a lot of options these days when you fancy picking up a Pandora eh?

So, someone like me who ordered a couple years back and got on the tail end of the first batch, should be expecting the arrival of Pandora around [insert_time_frame_here]

To my best understanding, there are only 1000 units still outstanding from the first batch, which will be shipped out to Ed and Craigs customers in due course, pending on the amount of upgrade orders placed, as the upgrade orders help in rolling out the outstanding 1000 quicker... right [?]

So what exactly is someone like me to expect to open from the box?

...I believe, a 256MB Pandora running 600MHz

Is this correct?

As for the 1GHz specials...

These come in the chrome colour instead of black, correct?

The 1GHz models only come in the 512MB flavour, correct?

If I were to upgrade my original order [suspecting 256MB/600GHz]

for a new 'n' improved 1GHz unit [with the 512MB as standard?]

....This would be a no brainer, right?

I think I am being sentimental in wanting to wait for my original FB'er ... is there anything so great about the first batch now though?

If I was to upgrade to the 1GHz, I would likely get it in my possession sooner than waiting for the final 1000 of FB to roll out?

Finally, what is the additional cost at moment for someone who paid in full for the original FB model to upgrade to the new silver 1GHz model? [in UK, from Craig]

Sorry so many questions, just in two minds as to go for the upgrade or not, and too many topics to keep track on.

I think you'll get a "rebirth" pandora with 512MB RAM that clocks with 600 mhz. The 256MB RAM versions were the ones produced by that US company (dont remember the name) and the german factory only produces the 512 MB ones.

That's how i understand the situation - but i could be wrong :)

They don't make Pandoras with 256MB of ram anymore..

If you get a new unit you should get a 512MB unit with a default clock speed of 600mhz, but almost all of those can overclock above 1Ghz.

The new 1GHZ unit will have 512MB of ram as well.. These 1GHz versions will have some other advantages like a slightly faster GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply pay the difference between the amount you payed for your old unit and the price of the 1ghz unit.subtract the original pandora price from the 1ghz model and you have the amount.1ghz models are 512mb yes.I believe you could request the black cases but the platinum cases are stronger so i wouldn't.

New case+512mb+1ghz processor+some enchancements to sgu/gpu thingy for the 1 gig units.

I see, now you mention it I think I was aware of this ... the fact that the 256MB are no more.

So sticking with my original order, or upgrading, should see me get a 512MB and either 600MHz or 1GHz, respectively.

Benefits of upgrading:

It helps Craig's orders out, so preferable for him.

Get the silver look rather than black, which looks better IMO from what I seen of it.

1GHz without any O/C.

Benefits of sticking with original order:

It's a FB classic

Depending on the cost increase, I might have to just go for it come pay day.

Anything to get my Pandora to me sooner rather than later.

...What's the turnaround time on the 1GHz models, Craig or anyone who can answer? From order placed, when are they expected to be posted, still only a week or two turnaround?

I don't think anyone will get a 256MB one anymore. I don't know about the color, perhaps you can still get a black one if you want, but my guess is that they're all platinum now (those cases should also be a bit stronger than the black ones). If you upgrade, you'll probably get it faster than if you wait, but I don't think the difference will be huge. My 600MHz unit can clock to 900MHz reliably without overvolting, or to 1.1GHz or so with overvolting. I don't know what clock speeds the 1GHz units can get, probably 1.3GHz reliably. They also have some other specs that are a bit improved.

You can also consider just "upgrading" to a 600MHz unit, that is, paying the difference between what you paid and what it costs now (which is quite a bit less than the 1GHz one). In that case you will get your unit very quickly, because ED has them in stock now, so they can get shipped immediately.

I will keep with the Platinum one if it is stronger, definitely, the fact I prefer the look of that one is a bonus.

I'm not loaded with money to throw around, but if it was around an additional £100 or so, I would most likely bite the bullet and go for it.

I just need to locate that old thread where Craig is offering them and states the price of the Platinum ones.

Cheers for [very quick as always :) ] replies guys

edit: upgrade to the 600MHz? ...isn't that what the basic models are anyway though? I thought all are 600MHz except the Platinum which has the improved 1GHz

Also I ordered from Craig as based in UK, not sure if switching to Ed's queue would run? Besides I would likely go for the [stronger/faster] Platinum model if I do upgrade.

Reading about how reading large PDF and other non-emulator stuff performs nicer in the Platinum, I'm getting very tempted.

Plus a bit of future-proofing eh.

I'm also keen to check out the Android side of things on Pandora, and believe the Android OS will run nicer on the Platinum/1GHz

Trade in my 256MB Pandora now and get a 512KB for just a couple of hundred or wait until the 1GHZ hit full production and trade in then. I wonder what the upgrade cost will be when the 1GHZ models hit full steam production.

edit: upgrade to the 600MHz? ...isn't that what the basic models are anyway though? I thought all are 600MHz except the Platinum which has the improved 1GHz

Yes, that's why I said "upgrade". You'd get exactly the same thing as when you would just wait, but faster and cheaper than the 1GHz.

Get the silver look rather than black, which looks better IMO from what I seen of it.

Oh, please - the new cases look awful with black keys and nubs etc. It looks very, very cheap. Like someone has spraypainted a black pandora shell. Which is of course exactly what's been done - it's not silver plastic. It's a shame that there's no more black cases being made as they're flimsy and brittle so need changing regularly. If we could get a black case made to the same standard as that awful silver case, I'd be very happy. As it is, when the black cases run out I'm stuffed if I need a new one.

D.

I think we should move towards hemp based plastic for future endeavors.
They should just make cases out of those silly recycled cardboard things they give you to hold all of your drinks at fast-food restaurants.

Yes, that's why I said "upgrade". You'd get exactly the same thing as when you would just wait, but faster and cheaper than the 1GHz.
You mean "premium" ie. "get it faster".

I think we should move towards hemp based plastic for future endeavors.

Next you'll be wanting the Pandora to come with a lighter and marijuana holder too! :p You know how it is, if we bring in hemp, then people will want weed, and that's a gateway drug which will destroy our children! :3

I RMA'd my original Pandora and got, after about a years wait, a rebirth edition.

It's ok. Crack next to the shoulder button and has less processing power than my, now 2 year old phone.

The gaming controls are excellent though. Apart from the nubs, which are next to useless.

Happy I paid £200 for it back in the day.

Benefits of upgrading:

It helps Craig's orders out, so preferable for him.

1GHz without any O/C.

I'm very busy this week with the 1Ghz preparations, so this answer is short:

Upgrading via Ed also helps with original orders, any extra money to either of us via upgrade/new orders goes to paying for original orders.

Original orders will be 600mhz / 512MB (or possibly 256MB if we ever get those units back from CC).

Craigix said:
Original orders will be 600mhz / 512MB (or possibly 256MB if we ever get those units back from CC).

Now there's a special little something for all those boys and girls waiting so very patiently. Wouldn't want you to accidentally get the base model anymore. We'll dig up a SUB-base model just for you!

If you're REALLY lucky you can get one with defective nubs and a purple-tinted LCD! That'll make you feel like a REAL First-Batcher! Isn't that what you always wanted?!

They do very much appreciate your patience though.

Back