256MB / 512MB / 600MHz / 1GHz

Not true. The original First Batch was 256MB RAM, and does everything the Pandora is advertised to be capable of doing. It is by no means sub-standard, except for the plastic. I bet there are more 256MB models out there than any other.

Not true. The original First Batch was 256MB RAM, and does everything the Pandora is advertised to be capable of doing. It is by no means sub-standard, except for the plastic. I bet there are more 256MB models out there than any other.

True, by a huge margin.

I personally doubt we will get those remaining 256MB units, but you never know.

They would be put in the new silver cases if we did.

Well let's just wait until that particular outcome emerges before we have that particular "discussion". No need to waste energy on things that may not come to pass.
Maybe it's because Im a newbie here but Im a lil confused. Care to explain c: ?

Well let's just wait until that particular outcome emerges before we have that particular "discussion". No need to waste energy on things that may not come to pass.
Maybe it's because Im a newbie here but Im a lil confused. Care to explain c: ?

Not sure how to explain any more than the previous handful of posts does, but it'll give me an opportunity to retell them in a way that is clearly free of bias and emotive language:

• Craig mentioned in passing (and unprompted) that there's the possibility that the First Batch pre-orderers who paid in full up to four years ago and have been waiting patiently ever since might well receive for their troubles a machine that has been significantly upgraded twice (twice the memory, then a faster processor) and which is less capable than the machine buyable by someone who tripped over a Reddit comment 30 minutes ago. Heck, the new website doesn't even mention the 600MHz Pandora as available anymore, let alone the 256MB version.
  • sverm and Craig - who I'm sure are lovely people - made the patently ridiculous assertion that these old boards - produced by CircuitCo in the USA and known to have (at the very least) a question mark over their durability and quality - are, in fact, just as good as the machines available today.
  • Realising how unlikely it is that CircuitCo could deliver a daily turd let alone a shipment of Pandora boards, I choked back my bile-tinged incredulousness and decided that there's no point expending energy on an unlikely outcome. I mean surely, SURELY, if those boards ever turned up OpenPandora would sell them off cheaply to new people rather than foist them on one of the First Batchers. SURELY.

That's where you came in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, the first batchers left from the original 2008 pre-orders actually paid a very low amount for a 256MB Pandora. Given that's what they paid for, that's what they should get. It's only fair to those that have paid extra for a 512MB machine.

D.

If you're REALLY lucky you can get one with defective nubs and a purple-tinted LCD

The CC Pandora's, if they ever materialise have the same nubs / LCD cables as the current Rebirth / 1GHz units.

I dunno, the first batchers left from the original 2008 pre-orders actually paid a very low amount for a 256MB Pandora. Given that's what they paid for, that's what they should get. It's only fair to those that have paid extra for a 512MB machine.

D.

No one has paid extra for a 512MB machine. They've paid extra for the lack of a four year wait.

D.

And what about the first batchers who paid also for a "faster delivery upgrade" and hasn't received anything yet ?

Mac

I hope I will be in a steady job soon my 2 year old pandora (256MB) is getting old an brittle and I would love to upgrade to the 1GHz version... maybe If i only order a LCD cable and do some handywork this pandora can last another 3 years but the prospect of a 1GHz unit.....

well let's write some job aplications first.

Electronics are not like food.

And yet not entirely UNlike, either. See: corrosion

The bad thing is that they continued to produce the boards when they were corrodated.

They mentioned they need to clean them to make them work properly - but every other company would've probably just told us that the bare PCBs need to be thrown away and produced a new.

Then these issues also wouldn't have occured.

No chance at all that boards supplied grudgingly could possibly have any of the quality issues the previous boards had, is there? Surely they've gone to great pains to keep things in tip-top condition for us all.

D.

You are correct, and if that Pandora had been delivered by Christmas 2008 as promised there would be no need to be posting here nearly four years later.

Many Pandora are already delivered.

Quite frankly I don't really care about that.

I'm sure that all of those Pandoras and their owners are having a lovely time together.

I want to know where *my* Pandora is.

I want some reliable, non 'two-month' estimate of where the unit is that I initially paid for four years.

That would be the unit that I paid extra to 'upgrade' and expedite over three months ago.

And while we are at it, I want the 'First Batch' sticker too..remember those?

Original orders will be 600mhz / 512MB (or possibly 256MB if we ever get those units back from CC).
You would not be selling 1GHz units right now if those last thousand preorderers were not trusting you and waiting for years for their orders to be fulfilled. Dumping 256MB units on those people while you sell everyone else 512MB units would be such a betrayal of that trust.

They paid that amount, and also took on 100% risk on the money they paid by funding the production in advance. As a result, they've now waited for years, not knowing if they'd even get their money back if they asked for it. People who paid extra for a 512MB machine have gotten it without taking on any of that risk.

Back