256MB or 512MB

alucart1984

I see people selling Classics with 256MB for pretty cheap, would it really be worth it to pay the extra like 150 to get a 512MB Rebirth Edition instead of used CC?  I really want a Pandora so bad.....trying to sell my ASUS Tablet, Wiz and One of my 24" LCD HDTVs!  Thanks for any input.  Sorry if in wrong section, figured this was sort of a sales question.

If you plan on playing Android games and/or doing much websurfing, get the Rebirth. If your main use is emulators, a 256MB device will be enough.

I see people selling Classics with 256MB for pretty cheap, would it really be worth it to pay the extra like 150 to get a 512MB Rebirth Edition instead of used CC? I really want a Pandora so bad.....trying to sell my ASUS Tablet, Wiz and One of my 24" LCD HDTVs! Thanks for any input. Sorry if in wrong section, figured this was sort of a sales question.
Yes by FAR! Dont short yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything but the 1GHz version is shorting yourself!

I'd also advice everyone to buy a Giga Pandora.

As we have now Nintendo DS and Nintendo 64 emulation coming it's god to have it.

Android games might as well need some extra power.

If you want to play some SNES and older stuff there is no need to get more than the classic Pandora.

Your decission.

I have both and would not use the classic unit for the stuff mentioned above.

For desktop stuff the Rebirth version is required if you want to do some multi tasking. For Xournal or abiword the Classic unit is good as well. I used it for one year in University.

Again: Your decission.

Meh, I use my classic pandora (256Mb) at 950MHz and haven't found anything that doesn't run well. Even the ridiculously sub-optimal Cannonball simulator runs smoothly, and N64 runs very very well indeed. I use Android regularly and have found that it's generally smoother than my (faster CPU) phone. For those instances where more RAM is needed, a small swapfile suffices.

Of course, your needs may vary - but I have no intention of upgrading my Pandora. There's just no need.

D.

It's cheaper now. Of course, there's also the risk of the Osbourne Effect... So, let's just say, it's probably not going to change any time soon :)

What will be your main usages ?
To be honest I don't really know. The main use at least at first would be Emulators, but I really think I would like to get into development and try making a 3D game.  Also Quake 2, and 3 seem to run good on the Pandora.  I just read the 1GHZ units have a 90mhz faster GPU speed....how would this compare to an overclocked Rebirth running at 960ishMhz versus the 1GHZ with a slightly faster GPU?  Any comparison benchmarks or videos?

If you plan PSX, Nec, megadrive, etc, the RB 600 MHz is perfect.

The main difference is seen in N64 emu, e.g. 1080 snowboarding is ~80% speed vs 100%.

The extra horsepower of the 1GHz will also help with huge compilations (Libre Office), or some Qemu'ed programs.

Sell it here . Oh and go for the Rebirth or 1 gigger you'll just be spending money that would probably go to something techy if you are at all like me .

Sell it here . Oh and go for the Rebirth or 1 gigger you'll just be spending money that would probably go to something techy if you are at all like me .
Never really thought you that.  I might actually have someone that is buying it.  I will post if they don't end up getting it.

If you're short on money, go for the cheapest one you can get. The difference between the three models is not that big. The only areas where it makes a noticeable difference are N64 emulation, firefox web browsing, wintel emulation, Android, and the general snappiness of the interface (slightly faster menus etc). If you can afford it, I'd recommend the 1GHz model (because it is a bit better, and it is more profitable for ED so the preorder queue gets emptied faster), but if you cannot afford it or need to save for a few months before you can afford it, just go for a 256MB model. For 95% of the PNDs on the repo, there will be no noticeable difference at all.

Back