2D playstation emulator

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
Ok!

Would it be possible to produce a Playstation emulator which only emulates the 2D hardware? Perhaps with ghost 3D emulation to fill the blanks and prevent crashing.

It's crazy I know but the games available would be glorious on GP32:

Alundra
FF3,4,5,6
Abe's oddessy
Abe's exodous

I've heard somewhere that it's possible to remove the music from PS Iso's.

Again it's just a hypothetical idea, and yes I do have an incling of how 'things' work, but surely something similar is possible.

dont know if its possible, the games must be ripped down, so the can fit on a smc...
but you forgot one game :)
Metal Slug X

I dont think so you would have to emulate all the hardware (maybe not sound as u would be ripping that out of the game) and the 3d ability is in the actually hardware so i dont think it's possible as even the pc's need to be pretty powerfull compared tot he gp32 to play psx games.

Also i dont think we can get a game under 8mb to be bale to play <_<

If i'm wrong please prove me wrong it be nice for a few psx games to be on gp32 :)

:ph34r:

Twimfy posted on Aug 19 2003 said:
Would it be possible to produce a Playstation emulator which only emulates the 2D hardware? Perhaps with ghost 3D emulation to fill the blanks and prevent crashing.
AFAIK the Playstation (one) uses its 3D hardware to do all 2d drawing, much like doing 2d under OpenGL. Given that, I don't think there's much chance of emulating "just the 2d", as it's all being done by the 3d hardware anyway.

I'd say wait for whatever the successor to the gamepark is, and it might be powerful enough. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back