$350 price point gone forever?

Fakehidden

Still Fresh
I've been on the fence about the Pandora for a while now and the recent price increase has put me off from wanting to buy one. If there's ever a third batch, will there be pre-orders at the $350 price point again or will the Pandora only be available for $500 from now on?

There will be no regrets once you go premium. :)

UbSAf.png

Alright, we may be a tad biased, but if I'm being as honest as I can be about this project, it's definitely worth spending the money on. Yes, it's expensive. Very expensive. But look what's been accomplished with only, what, 1500-2000 Pandoras out in the wild? It's insane the amount of progress that has been made. The plan is for at least 8000 to be in the wild (at least from what anyone can guess from the inital concept of having two batches, each 4,000 units). A larger-than-typical number of those people are developers, capable of making great things.

So sure, the price is high. After all, this is a new company who makes their money exclusively on the hardware alone. Other companies can undersell their stuff because legitimate devs usually need licenses to work with that hardware. But this platform relies soley on the community. So the possibilities are literally endless. There's no restriction on what can be developed, controlled by some narrow-minded, unidirectional company that calls all the shots. There's no 'hacking' or software-wise voiding your warranty (except for maybe messing with the kernel or bootloader, I'll give you that) because the software isn't even OP's.

It's a very good investment. But if you can't afford it I can totally understand that. It was a pretty deep cut for me to buy my Pandora. But if you'd like to contribute in some way to eventually lower the price of the Pandora or the next-generation of platforms made by OP, you can always donate to help offset their costs.

That's another proof that "waiting until..." is usually bad strategy when it comes to Pandora project.

I made a thread about this a few days ago. Craig came in and said definitively that 500 USD is the price from now on. The pre-order price was actually below the cost of manufacturing. 500 will allow them to perhaps actually maybe make a profit on this project some day, possibly.

So we can not expect to see below 500 in the next 12 months?

"From now on" is somewhat ambiguous.

Can I get confirmation from someone in opt?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing ambiguous about it. $500 ($499, rather) is the permanent price. If you preordered before the price change, you lucked out. Here's the post from Craig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the price tag budging much in the near future. If you can't afford it, don't put yourself out. If you can afford it, screw it, live a little! I could be wrong, but I feel maybe you are looking for someone to push you over that fence. Consider this a shove. I was not really in a position to be making a luxury purchase for myself, but I did anyway (premium order). I don't regret it one bit. It definitely exceeded my expectations, plus there are so many cool and knowledgeable people backing this sucker up it can only get better and better. Keep in mind you are not only buying an awesome device, you are also buying into a revolution of sorts. Consider the Pandora your AK-47.

It has to be $499. We don't make another other money from the Pandora, it's not like a PSP where Sony make extra cash from the games.

So you could look at it from the point of view that the Pandora is expensive but you won't have to spend anymore money on it.

Maybe we should say 'Comes with 400 free apps!' :)

How much money was being lost by selling at $330 during preorders? Who funded the losses?

Back