3D Printing & The Pandora

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
In my eyes it would make a lot of sense to design the base section of Pandora 2 with the benefits of 3D printing in mind.

That's all well & good but let's live in the now.

What could 3D printing bring to Pandora 1?

Who would buy an ergonomic grip which could be attached to the Pandora in place of the oh so fragile battery cover (which may be not so fragile in the new metallic paint cases) The grip would only have to extend the width of the Pandora by 1cm on either side but if it took away the sharp corners digging into the palms sensation, which for me occurs after extended use of the Pandora, I'd be one happy bunny. 

Who would pay $35 for that sort of thing from here? I know I would.

Would anyone be interested in a custom base for the Pandora which would allow for an oversized battery? What would the current firm who provide batteries charge for 100 oversized batteries?

Would anyone be interested in an extended base with a built in USB hub & multiple external / possibly 1 internal USB ports?

My understanding is that the designs for Pandora are owned by Dave C, guess it would make sense to ask him how he felt about opening up the base / battery cover designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like what the Pandora was made for. Being customizable and open.

I would love to get a 3d printer, just because I like to scetch hardware designs and such

if only I could afford one..

anyone want to buy 3 slightly used children... one relatively new one (2 months)

;)

It would be nice if DaveC would give the design out to some select trustworthy individuals for some 3D Printer play.  Linux-SWAT & I were discussing this at FOSDEM.  I know Linux-SWAT had a 3D printer at his last work place.  I really don't see people stealing the design or trying to reverse engineer an 8 layer PCB.  Maybe I'm being naive though. 

The thing is, you don't actually need a 3D printer yourself, of course it would help, but you could just use a service like shapeways

It may be worth OP GmbH considering an investment in a 3D printer to prototype designs & then uploading them to shapeways (or similar service) if the idea of buying a custom base proved popular to the community.

My guess is a lot of tech manufacturers will jump on this bandwagon, it might be a smart move to hop on board sooner rather than later.

I genuine believe that if this has the potential of generating some good revenue for OP GmbH.

What sort of custom bases would people like to see?

We need DaveC to give us his schematics.  That's what I would like to see.  I always liked reading his emulator concerns, and now he's been MIA since?

We need DaveC to give us his schematics.  That's what I would like to see.  I always liked reading his emulator concerns, and now he's been MIA since?
^ That or a 3d scanner

When Linux-SWAT & I were talking, he said the schematics would be best.  Do the 3D scanners have a margin of error? 

I would love to print my self ne Panora Accessoires:)
I designed a Ext Plug case.
Search for Pandora on Thingiverse.
And i also use my Pandora as an 3D printer host.

Hmm, ask ED for the file of the Battery Cover, maybe he gives the CAD files to you.
I understand that he wont give all the CAD files to us, but the Bat Cover...
It's worth a try;)

You could make your own custom molded handles with SuGru or other modeling putty.

Reminds me I need to do something with my Sugru before it goes bad..

Back