Lots Of Pandora Questions

ShadowPhantom000

Still Fresh
First Is there anything known about a Function to reduce the Screen Brightness to increase battery life?

I'm an entry level programmer, What base language would I need to know to Program for Pandora? and how hard would it be to learn from like C++ C# or Java? I would very much like to Finish Writing a Zombie game I started on the Pandora but I feel the Pandora is A Little over My head.

Quote from the Wiki:
TV-out included in hardware, A/V-OUT Port (similar in appearance to a large USB OTG port) outputs S-Video and Composite and inputs 3,5mm Headphone/Microphone cables..

"inputs 3,5mm Headphone/Microphone cables"
the 3.5mm Jack can work as a Mic input and a Headphone output?

Ive been reading that you can buy Extra Batteries for Pandora. Is it that the battery is Removable?

I have a Little bit of XUbuntu experiance but I have no Idea what the Angstrom OS is like. Whats the Deal with Angstrom? and what is the Word on Pandora XUbuntu.

And......... That should Be it for now, thanks a bunch for any help you can give me. Especially the Programing one, it would be sweet to have a game for the Pandora, I just dont have the Programing experience or the Time. Speaking of if anyone is interested in Working on a Game with me Id be Happy to Share what I have so far. just send me a PM or an Email at ShadowPhantom000@gmail.com

ShadowPhantom000 said:
First Is there anything known about a Function to reduce the Screen Brightness to increase battery life?
Yes. The screen brightness will be fully adjustable.
ShadowPhantom000 said:
I'm an entry level programmer, What base language would I need to know to Program for Pandora? and how hard would it be to learn from like C++ C# or Java? I would very much like to Finish Writing a Zombie game I started on the Pandora but I feel the Pandora is A Little over My head.
You can use almost any language that you can use on an x86-based Linux system, with a few exceptions like x86 assembly (obviously) and some proprietary compilers (Darkbasic, Blitzbasic, etc). C++, C#, or Java should all work (although it's not certain whether Mono or a JVM will be provided out of the box, so you might need to package these with the application).
ShadowPhantom000 said:
Quote from the Wiki:
TV-out included in hardware, A/V-OUT Port (similar in appearance to a large USB OTG port) outputs S-Video and Composite and inputs 3,5mm Headphone/Microphone cables..

Yes. You need a special jack (TRRS) for the mic input, but these are pretty easy to find. There is also a line input on the EXT port, which may be able to be used for a microphone (you may need more equipment - maybe a mic preamp or something, I don't know, but if you want quality you're better off using a USB ADC anyway, as I understand it).
ShadowPhantom000 said:
Ive been reading that you can buy Extra Batteries for Pandora. Is it that the battery is Removable?
Yes.
ShadowPhantom000 said:
I have a Little bit of XUbuntu experiance but I have no Idea what the Angstrom OS is like. Whats the Deal with Angstrom? and what is the Word on Pandora XUbuntu.
Xubuntu may not be officially available, but it should run with little difficulty. As for Angstrom, you won't need any specific experience with it - there will be a customized frontend for launching applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most, if not all your questions would be answered here
ShadowPhantom000 said:

Yes. Well, brightness of the backlight can be controlled. For what ever reason you like i suppose.

ShadowPhantom000 said:
Anything you get to compile, should run. Look in the development corner of the forum for more on the topic.

ShadowPhantom000 said:
Yes.

ShadowPhantom000 said:
just send me a PM or an Email at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Really shouldn't post emails in the wild. Anyone wants to get in touch, they'll send you a PM, and you can send your email back. Posting emails in the wild is a surefire way to get spamed.
B!

Darn ninjas.
Tom, ya beat me ;- )

Programming languages:

C++ will work as long as you use open libraries like SDL, OpenGL ES, etc.
C# will work through Mono, if you want to use Mono.
Java will work, but why the hell would you want to use Java?
Scala will work, I'm only adding this so dflemstr doesn't have to post.
Lua will work, and Lua is amazing, but it's more of an embedded scripting language.

DarkBasic probably won't work, as I think it uses DirectX or it's closed or something.
XNA won't work because it's closed and relies on DX as well.

Edit: Almost forgot Angstrom.
Angstrom and Xubuntu are both Linux-based, but the Pandora is ARM so we have to re-compile stuff for it. For instance, WINE cannot run Windows programs on ARM because all Windows programs are x86. However, a lot of Linux programs are open source and can be compiled to either ARM or x86, so there's already a bunch of software and GUI environments ready.

Please think about what you post in future, As what may not seen offensive to you, May cause offence to others, Thanks.

lulzfish said:
Programming languages:

C# will work through Mono, but Mono rapes children, so some people will advise you against it.
Lua will work, and Lua is amazing, but it's more of an embedded scripting language.

DarkBasic probably won't work, as I think it uses DirectX or it's closed or something.

Angstrom and Xubuntu are both Linux-based, but the Pandora is ARM so we have to re-compile stuff for it. For instance, WINE cannot run Windows programs on ARM because all Windows programs are x86. However, a lot of Linux programs are open source and can be compiled to either ARM or x86, so there's already a bunch of software and GUI environments ready.

You forgot Python! Feel the rage! :ph34r:

and Ruby :ph34r: , I guess GO might make it to ARM at some point too

umm, a pocket device running Ruby on rails and a WiFi connection, interesting (said in the Spock way with one elevated eyebrow)

C# will work through Mono, but Removed: As may cause offence, so some people will advise you against it.
Perhaps you would like to reconsider words you are using to express your opinion? This is at least misleading and I'd say quite offensive too.

Tenuki said:
C# will work through Mono, but Removed: As may cause offence, so some people will advise you against it.
Perhaps you would like to reconsider words you are using to express your opinion? This is at least misleading and I'd say quite offensive too.
Yeah, and especially since the CLI is a quite stable, secure and fast framework (compared to the JVM at least) making it well-suited for most development tasks, it might be advisable to not flamebait like that.

dflemstr said:
Tenuki said:
Yeah, and especially since the CLI is a quite stable, secure and fast framework (compared to the JVM at least) making it well-suited for most development tasks, it might be advisable to not flamebait like that.

Yeah... but... it's still mono.

I reconsidered.
But there are like 1 or 2 people who think Mono is some kind of patent trap somehow. Then again, considering how many anti-trust guys are keeping an eye on Microsoft, I don't think they could get away with something as huge as that.

Man, it makes me want to know what they wrote. When something is edited the editor usually doesn't take out the whole sentence or phrase, just the offending word or change it some how. The quote seem incomplete now.

But what, 'will give you diabetes', 'will make pigeons explode', 'will cause gum disease', 'will wake up Godzilla therefore causing countless billions in damages to Tokyo'. What will C# do?

second exodous said:
Man, it makes me want to know what they wrote. When something is edited the editor usually doesn't take out the whole sentence or phrase, just the offending word or change it some how. The quote seem incomplete now.

But what, 'will give you diabetes', 'will make pigeons explode', 'will cause gum disease', 'will wake up Godzilla therefore causing countless billions in damages to Tokyo'. What will C# do?
look at b-zars post

PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:

look at b-zars post
Ah yes, that could not have been been saved by changing one word. Not as exciting as what I thought he was saying though.

Tom` said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:
You can use almost any language that you can use on an x86-based Linux system, with a few exceptions like x86 assembly (obviously) and some proprietary compilers (Darkbasic, Blitzbasic, etc). C++, C#, or Java should all work (although it's not certain whether Mono or a JVM will be provided out of the box, so you might need to package these with the application).
Ok Thats always a Good Sign, This means I shouldn't have to Learn too Much New material... I was waiting for someone to tell me... "Yeah.... Cobalt... Have fun"

Tom` said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:
Quote from the Wiki:

Yes. You need a special jack (TRRS) for the mic input, but these are pretty easy to find. There is also a line input on the EXT port, which may be able to be used for a microphone (you may need more equipment - maybe a mic preamp or something, I don't know, but if you want quality you're better off using a USB ADC anyway, as I understand it).
i planed on using a USB Headphone Mic combo for my Mic solution anyway but I was wondering for personal Kicks Thanks!

Tom` said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:
Xubuntu may not be officially available, but it should run with little difficulty. As for Angstrom, you won't need any specific experience with it - there will be a customized frontend for launching applications.
Well that's always nice, as much as I could... Id really rater not have to deal with Linux Command line a lot.

Mr B said:
Most, if not all your questions would be answered here
Ive been reading through it I would have had a lot more if I hadn't

Mr B said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:

Yes. Well, brightness of the backlight can be controlled. For what ever reason you like i suppose.
Well When I'm indoors I tend to not need a Strong backlight because Glare is less of an issue.

Mr B said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:
Anything you get to compile, should run. Look in the development corner of the forum for more on the topic.
Tom answered my question, But i appreciate it, I have looked there though, and plan to spend some time there.

Mr B said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:
just send me a PM or an Email at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Really shouldn't post emails in the wild. Anyone wants to get in touch, they'll send you a PM, and you can send your email back. Posting emails in the wild is a surefire way to get spamed.

Thanks in advance! This is my Public one that I manage through LOTS of filters. I should mention to Put Pandora as the First word in the subject line(else its put in my spam folder, that I read occasionally XD). I only Share my other 2 with certain people. One is shared with people I don't know and the other is my Professional Email(the one I use for Filling out applications and goes to Friends I personally have met)

Mr B said:
Darn ninjas.
Tom, ya beat me ;- )
Happens lol

lulzfish said:
Programming languages:

C# will work through Mono, Removed: As may cause offence.

lulzfish said:
I figured XNA wouldn't, and I havn't used DB in YEARS :lol: I thought it died out!

lulzfish said:
Ill Keep that in Mind. ;)

also Appologies for Tripple Posting, It wasn't letting me Use all my Quotes XD I like to get back to everyone!

ShadowPhantom000 said:
also Appologies for Tripple Posting, It wasn't letting me Use all my Quotes XD I like to get back to everyone!

At least you had a decent reason. Most of the time, double posters are just people who are too lazy to hit the edit button when they think of something they want to add to their post.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
ShadowPhantom000 said:

At least you had a decent reason. Most of the time, double posters are just people who are too lazy to hit the edit button when they think of something they want to add to their post.

-God Ginrai
We realize who you are, it says your name 300 pixels up and 300 pixels to the left, you dont need to say it after every post

Back