3g hspa

When person gets broadband stick you will have to enter pin no. to activate it for windows and maybe that is stopping it for working.

Here is a question for people who got 3g stick to work is anyone using windows os 3g stick with pandora.
If you have to enter a pin on windows I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's stopping it from working. If you have a windows machine around, plug in the stick, enter the pin and deactivate it in the stick's software. If you don't have the pin ask your friend who borrowed you the stick.
No. PIN numbers are no problems, they can be entered later on in Networkmanager! Yes, something like this works nicely for me so don't bother with the pin but help the user to get the stick be recognized as modem first.

No. PIN numbers are no problems, they can be entered later on in Networkmanager! Yes, something like this works nicely for me so don't bother with the pin but help the user to get the stick be recognized as modem first.
Really? oo" This has never worked for me, neither on the Pandora nor on any desktop Linux I tried, with neither of my 2 dongles... But nice to know :D

In that case though it would be really helpful if we knew what model you have so, as dave already said, you should post the output of

Code:
dmesg

and

Code:
sudo lsusb

with the stick plugged in of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
When person gets broadband stick you will have to enter pin no. to activate it for windows and maybe that is stopping it for working.

Here is a question for people who got 3g stick to work is anyone using windows os 3g stick with pandora.
If you have to enter a pin on windows I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's stopping it from working. If you have a windows machine around, plug in the stick, enter the pin and deactivate it in the stick's software. If you don't have the pin ask your friend who borrowed you the stick.
Problem is if i deactive the pin then it will stop working on windows systems.

I don't mind deactivating the pin will this cause loads of problems.

So when we get 3g stick never enter the pin no through windows should be connected to pandora sraightaway is this correct.

Really? oo" This has never worked for me, neither on the Pandora nor on any desktop Linux I tried, with neither of my 2 dongles... But nice to know :D

In that case though it would be really helpful if we knew what model you have so, as dave already said, you should post the output of

Code:
dmesg

and

Code:
sudo lsusb

with the stick plugged in of course.
Entered lsusb in terminal shows Huawei Technologies co., Ltd.

Entered dmesg in terminal shows Manufacturer Huawei technology.

So when we get 3g stick never enter the pin no through windows should be connected to pandora sraightaway is this correct.
As Ivanovic said, the PIN shouldn't be the problem right now, so you can just leave it alone for now. (Although it should still work under windows with the PIN disabled oO)

The complete output of dmesg and lsusb would be more helpful, what I miss from lsusb especially is the vendor and device ID.

Just follow the advice of hmc:

Code:
sudo lsusb > lsusb_output.txt

dmesg > dmesg_output.txt

You can then post the *_output.txt files here as attachments.

As Ivanovic said, the PIN shouldn't be the problem right now, so you can just leave it alone for now. (Although it should still work under windows with the PIN disabled oO)

The complete output of dmesg and lsusb would be more helpful, what I miss from lsusb especially is the vendor and device ID.

Just follow the advice of hmc:

Code:
sudo lsusb > lsusb_output.txt

dmesg > dmesg_output.txt

You can then post the *_output.txt files here as attachments.
From lsusb i got this Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub.

Device 028: ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd

From dmesg i got this usb 1-2.3: Product: HUAWEI Mobile

usb 1-2.3: Manufacturer: HUAWEI Technology

Great!

This is useful.

According to

http://www.santinoli.com/open/e1692-howto.html

the ID signals that your stick is still in CDROM mode and needs to be switched to modem / serial mode first.

The page linked above also describes how to use usb_modeswitch to automate switching to modem mode.

You may, as suggested by someone here earlier, first try to change the mode manually using eject:

Code:
eject /dev/sdX

first (replacing the letter X above with the actual device letter you will find in the last couple of lines of the dmesg output after you connected the stick.

If you eject it using that command, wait some seconds, then execute lsusb once more to see, of the ID of the Huawei device has changed from 12d1:1446 to 12d1:140c.

Once it has, the stick should be usable with Network Manager.

If this works, you can continue to set up usb_modeswitch.

Please get back to us reporting what the eject method showed.

Great! This is useful. According to http://www.santinoli...1692-howto.html the ID signals that your stick is still in CDROM mode and needs to be switched to modem / serial mode first. The page linked above also describes how to use usb_modeswitch to automate switching to modem mode. You may, as suggested by someone here earlier, first try to change the mode manually using eject:

Code:
 eject /dev/sdX
first (replacing the letter X above with the actual device letter you will find in the last couple of lines of the dmesg output after you connected the stick. If you eject it using that command, wait some seconds, then execute lsusb once more to see, of the ID of the Huawei device has changed from 12d1:1446 to 12d1:140c. Once it has, the stick should be usable with Network Manager. If this works, you can continue to set up usb_modeswitch. Please get back to us reporting what the eject method showed.
When i entered this in terminal eject /dev/sdX it says unable to find and you on about placing letter X from dmesg but there is no device info comes from lsusb only and has 2 different ones.
I tried like this: X ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd and comes with: is a directory is this correct.

if i did change the device ID then it wouldn't work on windows pc.

The reson for not showing because it has windows cd rom software is this correct,if it didn't have the cd rom then it would of been recognised straightaway.

if i did change the device ID then it wouldn't work on windows pc.

The reson for not showing because it has windows cd rom software is this correct,if it didn't have the cd rom then it would of been recognised straightaway.
No, your device would still work on windows. The device ID is reset every time you pull it out and plug it in again.

The reason it doesnt show itself as a modem is because it acts like a cdrom drive and the OS recognizes it as such. You need to switch the device to modem mode.

Could you please post the whole dmesg output? There should be a lot more than just the two lines you posted. Do it the way hmc described and post the file as an attachment.

Also I've just discovered that it's possible to install usbmodeswitch from the angstrom repo again, although connection for me is extremely glitchy. For this you need to be connected to the internet via WiFi and execute:

Code:
sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch

sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data

Then you should plug in your dongle and execute:

Code:
sudo usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1446 -M 55534243123456780000000000000011062000000100000000000000000000

This should switch your dongle to modem mode. Please post the output of sudo lsusb, including the vendor and device ID (the two 4-letter strings with the : in between :D )

A very interesting and helpful resource on this is http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch

This one is the interesting line:

Code:
[64561.120758] sd 22:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

It means that your Huawei stick's CDROM functionality (which is, btw, used to provide drivers and to fool the OS that there is a CD-ROM with the drivers, but in reality it's a small flash memory in the stick itself, which contains the drivers) is assigned to device /dev/sda.

So, please do the following:

1. Connect the stick, wait a few seconds

2. enter "lsusb" --> you should see the IDs 12d1:1446

3. enter "eject /dev/sda" - wait a few seconds.

4. enter "lsusb" again --> do you now see the other ID 12d1:140c for the stick? If so, the stick should now be usable in Network Manager.

In case this works, the next step would be to automate the mode switching using usb_modeswitch or modemmanager.

Also, you may use the manual step, in case automation does not work yet, and configure the modem settings in Network Manager.

Even simpler (it was 2 years ago, I'm getting senile)

sudo modprobe option

option is a kernel module specifically for cell modems

Then your modem should show up in netmanager

This takes care of the situation when it(modem) is sometimes /dev/sda and

sometimes /dev/sdb, less of a problem on pandora due to lack of usb sockets

please do not confuse PIN with usb IDs

PIN is your password (or ID?) to the 3g network

This one is the interesting line:

Code:
 [64561.120758] sd 22:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
It means that your Huawei stick's CDROM functionality (which is, btw, used to provide drivers and to fool the OS that there is a CD-ROM with the drivers, but in reality it's a small flash memory in the stick itself, which contains the drivers) is assigned to device /dev/sda. So, please do the following: 1. Connect the stick, wait a few seconds 2. enter "lsusb" --> you should see the IDs 12d1:1446 3. enter "eject /dev/sda" - wait a few seconds. 4. enter "lsusb" again --> do you now see the other ID 12d1:140c for the stick? If so, the stick should now be usable in Network Manager. In case this works, the next step would be to automate the mode switching using usb_modeswitch or modemmanager. Also, you may use the manual step, in case automation does not work yet, and configure the modem settings in Network Manager.
Your step 1,2 worked fine but step 3 doesn't work where it says eject /dev/sda comes with error reading unable to open.

Hi Lylat,

okay, then please try "sudo eject /dev/sda".

In general: whenever you get errors indicating that you are not "able to" do something or don't have enough rights to do something, you may try the same with sudo. sudo is short for "super user do", i.e. the command following "sudo" will be executed with admin rights.

(But take care: There is a reason why some things are not executable without admin rights. If you have admin rights, you are able to destroy your system quite easily. So only use sudo, if you (or someone else ;-) know what you do.)

Lylat, you might profit from reading

http://linuxcommand....g_the_shell.php

It will prepare you for problem hunting like this in the future, teaching the basics of using the Linux shell.

Many people cannot imagine how hard it can be to learn all that stuff, especially if they grew up with Linux.
Nice page, helped me to understand some of the stuff I usually just copy and pasted from somewhere to do certain things a lot better.

Hi Lylat,

okay, then please try "sudo eject /dev/sda".

In general: whenever you get errors indicating that you are not "able to" do something or don't have enough rights to do something, you may try the same with sudo. sudo is short for "super user do", i.e. the command following "sudo" will be executed with admin rights.

(But take care: There is a reason why some things are not executable without admin rights. If you have admin rights, you are able to destroy your system quite easily. So only use sudo, if you (or someone else ;-) know what you do.)
Still step 3 not working,it just goes to my username instantly nothing happened.

Lylat:

> Still step 3 not working,it just goes to my username instantly nothing happened.

Usually if you get NO error message the command compleated

Check by running lsusb again, did the usb ID change?

Lylat:

> Still step 3 not working,it just goes to my username instantly nothing happened.

Usually if you get NO error message the command compleated

Check by running lsusb again, did the usb ID change?
No errors detected that's good thing but the usb ID didn't change it still the same.

this means you cannot use the eject method to switch modes on your stick.

Then you need to proceed with usb_modemswitch first, before you can establish any connection to the Internet using the stick.

have you looked into usb-modemswitch yet? Made any progress? Need help?

Back