3G on Pandora

lvella

Still Fresh
In a fast search through the forums, I found some saying of using 3G adapters or cell phones as modems to connect Pandora to broadband Internet, but have you thought about inserting a 3G/EDGE or such inside Pandora? Like a hardware revision that would come with integrated 3G hardware that could be used as phone, too.

What do you think? No need for external USB dongles...

I believe I've seen the answer to that in the archives (feeling a little lazy to look it up, I'm new here, what do you want?). It was discussed, but it added too much cost for a feature that wasn't necessary for a lot of people. At this point in the process, it's a little late be making an major updates to the hardware (aside from that sweet RAM upgrade :D ). I'm sure if you wanted to cut open a dongle and solder the innards to your board plenty of people would love to see your build!

I think that the problem with building in 3G was more to do with licensing issues than the cost of the silicon to achieve it. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that from a previous thread.

Wookiee said:
I think that the problem with building in 3G was more to do with licensing issues than the cost of the silicon to achieve it. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that from a previous thread.
iirc, the issue was rather (I think that MWeston said so, don't really remember) that adding a 3G modem would require another PCB layer, the restructuring of the whole Pandora PCB and would add $10 to the unit price and multiple thousands of dollars of costs for the Pandora team.
Which means that it just wasn't worth it.

dflemstr said:
Wookiee said:
iirc, the issue was rather (I think that MWeston said so, don't really remember) that adding a 3G modem would require another PCB layer, the restructuring of the whole Pandora PCB and would add $10 to the unit price and multiple thousands of dollars of costs for the Pandora team.
Which means that it just wasn't worth it.

I remember the idea of adding HMDI support ran into that issue. Seems logical that it would also be a problem for 3G.

Got a cheap 3G modem for those times when I can't find a free hotspot :wink:

IIRC the Texas Instrument development system is $150 more expensive in the version with 3G (there are two versions: With and without 3G).

I had this in mind when i ordered my pandora as it makes a great UMPC.
I'm acctually gearing up for the launch as i shall be shifting my mobile contract around to allow pre-paid data support.
I hope teathering to linux will be as supported as other OS' i have a nokia n95 and that came with pretty decent official software (which will never be on linux im guessing) but my previous phone the sony ericcson w600i had a great piece of software too and it was unofficial, it allowed to answer calls send texts etc from my pc via bluetooth. just hope something like that is supported alongside modem use. it would be greatly appriecated by me at least :)
vodafone doesnt have any current ties with local wifi networks so i'm hoping for a fair chunk of free data (another thing voda isnt known for :/)

tis my first post here. can't wait for the launch p&|a

I hope in the next 4 years a chip which does Wifi/BT/3G/Digital will be released, ideal for a Pandora2. But until then there just isn't the space to put one in.

You should be able to tuck away a 3D usb stick quite nearly down the back of the Pandora though.

bluetooth tethering will have to do for now :)
will have to start looking for mobile web browsers for linux now... dont want to be downloading fullfat websites as some rank in at about 1/2 mb and that wouldnt be good for my mobile bill lol. unless i switch to rubbish service of 3 or t-mobile with a healthier mobile dataplan.
I shall really only be on emails and checking BBCnews/facebook out of the house so nothing intensive.

Hi Jaycee i'll keep it under my hat about your past Gizmondo fancying... whoops :oops:
Craigx dont start thinking of pandora 2 just yet :(... tho I guess 4 years is about right for an upgrade :)

Back