3rd Party Accessories

huufarted

Still Fresh
Wiki link for this info as well: http://www.pandorawiki.org/Pandora_Hardware

I didn't see a thread for this yet, but I figured I'd start one. Having the Pandora will be nice. Having the stuff that goes with it will be icing on the cake. I'd like to start getting peripherals together so people can have a nice place to look for common peripherals that will go nicely with it.

This list is at the above Wiki link.

Please use this wiki page to list your findings for good hardware!

Things I'd like to see for the Pandora (official or 3rd party)
Small padded carrying cases. No more padding than is necessary to primarily keep it in good shape asthetically.
Keyboards: Small, foldable perhaps, wireless/BT or wired
Mice: Preferably Wireless/BT.
Screen Protectors: I know there are ones that you can just cut down, but it would be nice to have a list of some that can be purchased without any guesswork.
Tablets: Not sure this will really be feasible. Heck, right off hand (and I'm not an expert) but I can't think of any professional grade graphics applications that will be able to be ported to an ARM processor. GIMP is close, but there's no CMYK support as far as I know. Again, I could be wrong.

Before purchasing ANY peripherals, please be sure to check reviews on it. Even though I have that Genius Maxfire gamepad listed, it does have poor reviews, and many of them. Depending on feedback from Pandora users, we can either add or remove items from this list.

Don't forget about head mounted displays

The last one linked there is quite interesting, costs 250 USD and accepts s-video, and actually is widescreen. It's like 52" LCD in a pocket - minus eye-strain for using it (link here) ;) But they don't say what's the resolution really, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would most like to see extra batteries, screen protector, and of course a decent outer case wouldn't be too bad as long as it didn't add too much bulk. I look forward to using A2DP headphones with the Pandora and hope the software might support headset control. Not a deal breaker though just want to use my Bluetooth headset.

I would like some sort of external control module for when I'm listening to MP3s with the Pandora closed... Though I haven't found anything that meets the requirements (damn small, usb, at least a few buttons), so I might just mod the Maxfire Pandora by getting rid of half of it and putting a clip on it.

Gilrad said:
I would like some sort of external control module for when I'm listening to MP3s with the Pandora closed... Though I haven't found anything that meets the requirements (damn small, usb, at least a few buttons), so I might just mod the Maxfire Pandora by getting rid of half of it and putting a clip on it.
There is this as listed on hackaday.com http://hackaday.com/2008/09/13/cheap-usb-lcd/

They've even got Linux drivers for them and an open-source SDK! I'll add this to the list later on.

yeah I have been looking around on newegg. I would rather have a folding than a rubber wrap up keyboard :S

zxxgp said:
Should this not be a section on the wiki rather then a thread in the forums???
Nothing says it can't be both. I will start a wiki posting about it.

huufarted said:
Gilrad said:
There is this as listed on hackaday.com http://hackaday.com/2008/09/13/cheap-usb-lcd/

They've even got Linux drivers for them and an open-source SDK! I'll add this to the list later on.

$50 is not cheap (compared to a $20 mini gamepad that can do the same with a bit of hardware tinkering), though if somebody writes some drivers to make use of the LCD, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD???? why apple overpriced bullshit... i also need to know if the sixaxis (dual shock 3s work)

polkunus said:
APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD???? why apple overpriced bullshit... i also need to know if the sixaxis (dual shock 3s work)
Because it's simple and connects by Bluetooth. If you don't like Apple, buy an alternative.

huufarted said:
GIMP is close, but there's no CMYK support as far as I know. Again, I could be wrong.
You are kinda wrong, there is cmyk support in newer versions and plugins for older ones.

sindbad said:
huufarted said:
GIMP is close, but there's no CMYK support as far as I know. Again, I could be wrong.
You are kinda wrong, there is cmyk support in newer versions and plugins for older ones.
Thank you for that!

Ha, I was thinking of posting a similar thread. I gathered up a bunch of links for it (many of which I've used myself whilst purchasing stuff prior to the Pandora's release), so I may as well share them if you're compiling this list (it saves duplicated efforts). :p

Game controllers and controller adapters (for software that may support them);

NES and SNES USB adapters.

USB adapter for controllers from Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System, and Atari-style joysticks and controllers.

DIY kits for converting numerous older controllers to USB [Link 1] [Link 2].

Numerous USB controller adapters, covering PSX, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, and GameCube controllers.

Multiple USB controllers and adapters, almost all in the PlayStation sort of style. (Also includes two more PSX/PS2-to-USB joypad adapters. Unfortunately their USB arcade sticks are out of stock.)

And, perhaps only partly for the novelty of it, a USB finger dance pad, for those times when you really can't bring a full-sized mat along. (I only seem to have a GBP link for this one. Sorry.)

Miscellaneous;

Hori Multi Pouch, in many colours. Whilst this is meant for the DS, it was noted by Yamara that it would be a good pouch for the Pandora. It has multiple storage pockets in a zippered compartment at the back, in addition to the main pocket for the handheld. It's worth mentioning that several types of cloth or nylon pouch for the DS Lite can also fit a standard-sized DS, and that those kinds could therefore most likely also house the Pandora comfortably - this may also apply to the Multi Pouch DS Lite models.

Screen protector film (pack of five) - Screen protectors for the Archos 605 WiFi, which, if memory serves (and I believe it does :p), uses the same screen as the Pandora does.

Microfibre cloths - six for $1.98, free shipping.

EDIT: The controllers and adapters should all be USB HID compliant, so I don't foresee any issues with those. The only one I'm unsure on (can't seem to find much info) is the finger dance-mat. :p

huufarted said:
All items will be listed as Unknown until we have confirmed that it's been successfully used with the Pandora, either by someone with a Dev unit or by a consumer after it goes into full production.
  • Keyboards:
    Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard - Link
    Adesso Foldable Keyboard - Link
    Adesso Keyboard/Touchbad USB Combination - Link (a bit large in comparison to the Pandora, but not too bad)
  • Mice:
    Adesso mouse with built in number pad - Link
  • Game Controllers:
    Genius Maxfire Pandora - Link (No, I didn't notice the name until after I copied the controller's URL!)
  • Tablets:
  • Cases:
  • Screen Protectors:
Things I'd like to see for the Pandora (official or 3rd party)
Small padded carrying cases. No more padding than is necessary to primarily keep it in good shape asthetically.
Keyboards: Small, foldable perhaps, wireless/BT or wired
Mice: Preferably Wireless/BT.

You can go ahead and green the entire contents of that list. All USB game controllers and USB/Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice will work with the Pandora.

Back