50,000 Sales Mark For 06, What About 07?

Goob posted on Feb 3 2007 at 11:01 PM said:
craigix posted on Feb 3 2007 at 10:57 PM said:
These emus will be commercial?

I think he means commercial game downloads. I think selling emus is a bit dodgy. I just hope the games will be available still with boxed versions. The whole "game DRMed to one specific console" thing doesn't sit well. It just leaves you open to problems if you need to replace your system etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it, as far as hardware upgrades are concerned...

I think we could possibly do a with a slightly faster ARM main CPU if one exists, hopefully this would be backward compatible with code already built on the current hardware.

As far as 3D chips go, I think that it really wouldn't help emulation that much. Most 3D systems still have alot else to emulate that are out of reach of the current processors.

3D emulation even on the PC is still sketchy at best. I find it funny when people ask about PS2 emulators when we haven't even got close to a successful ps2 emulator on the PC. I tried one and just barely got into Gradius III and IV, which was a launch release for the ps2 stateside, very easy stuff I'm sure.

However, I do agree that a 3D hardware chip would be nice, some OpenGL acceleration. I do not believe, however, that it will help emulators. Moreso, having an OpenGL compatible chip would allow some higher quality ports, like say, Quake 3.

It would also allow for more flexibility with homebrew games. I just have my doubts it would help the emulation cause that much. I think even with a 3D chip playing N64 games wouldn't be that enjoyable given the gp2x's control scheme.

All I care about is that GPH stays in business so I can buy another unit if my current one goes bad at some point. I'd also love to see a MKIII that has a much improved joystick, one more like the NGP honestly.

The original topic is clearly about the GP2x, I'm not sure why this thread is mainly posts about the mythical GP3x again.

I think things are progressing fine as is. I'd like to see work continue on some of the older emulators as well as the current ones. I'm sure there will be a load of new hombrew games and apps to enjoy, and perhaps some good commercial games.

I'd also love to see a dock with internal hard drive :p

DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 06:41 AM said:
I think he means commercial game downloads. I think selling emus is a bit dodgy.

There is nothing dodgy about selling emus...

Goob posted on Feb 4 2007 at 04:36 PM said:

Agreed, one of the best $20 I ever spent was on Magic Engine...

Goob posted on Feb 4 2007 at 01:36 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 06:41 AM said:
I think he means commercial game downloads. I think selling emus is a bit dodgy.

I seem to recall a number of lawsuits against Bleem from Sony.

subcon959 posted on Feb 4 2007 at 02:02 PM said:
I seem to recall a number of lawsuits against Bleem from Sony.

Most of which were won by Bleem. Like any software, some people unfortunately do breach copyright law, and this can also apply to emus. However, that doesn't make commercial emu's in themselves dodgy.

Sony have a legal team which will NEVER STOP, they are like the zombies in night of the living dead... actually no... they are like the zombies from 28 days later - fast fuckers who will come at you from all angles until they get what they want - fresh brains AKA bankruptcy.

Even if you won them every single time they would keep coming back again and again on technical things or endless appeals. To stop them you would have to kill every single lawyer in the world and even then they would just train new ones and send them after you.

I always wondered, what if the GP2X gets too popular. We heavily support the emu scene now, but will we be able to in the future?

There's no such thing as "Too Popular".

However if the GP2X becomes 'unpopular' with Nintendon't, Sorrny, or other video game corporations...much badness could ensue. Remember Lik-Sang? Remember who eventually nailed them?

Seeing as the GP2X is very much a do-it-yourself console; it will NEVER see the light of day in retail stores.

It will remain with the Elite, "in-the-know", and hardcore-enthusiast crowd. However that 'market' is VERY-finite.

I'll bet that once sales of the GP2X start slowing, GPH will start on the 'GP3X' (My generic name for a GP2X successor). Although, if all they did was replace the stupid joystick with a proper D-pad (or even a not so proper one), it would sell like crazy.

In fact I'd say that this must be the high-water mark now. Software is not going to improve drastically, and the hardware is static.

I'd bet they could slap together a GP3X with a MMSP2+ a D-Pad and a Li-ION battery in about 8 months.
Assuming thats the way they would go... there is no reason for them to take any such action, yet...

Back