50Hz Smooth Scrolling On Pandora?

macke said:
I'm only talking about vblank here, not hblank. What I was hoping to gain was to remove the dependency of one of two timers (audio and video) which will probably drift when compared to the other. When drifting too much this will need to be adjusted either by skipping/doubling frames or by slightly adjusting resample rate.

It would be possible to achieve the same thing by allowing the frame rate to be adjusted slightly every frame (like between 49 and 51hz). To keep the drift minimal.

But as long as the display is adjustable to 50hz, I would be satisfied. And if writing a crossplatform emulator, these syncronisations/resamplings would be needed for other platforms anyway.

That's true, and it'd basically accomplish the same thing, only it'd be a hell of a lot more deterministic and.. just, doable in general. Keep track of the timers to predict when the next one hits, and if the gap has fallen adjust the framerate slightly. Could work!

... but I really don't think it'll be a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
... but I really don't think it'll be a big deal.

True that. I was just thinking ideally, not practically. I did write an avi-output to my bytecode emulator. Avi needs a fixed number of audio samples per frame. I guess that is why I liked the idea of fixing framerate to audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back