64Gb Sdxc Cards

neko

I haz 300 posts
I got a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card to test in my Pandora. It works perfectly.

I needed to format the card before it would be recognized, and formatted it ext3. The free space after formatting is 61188176 blocks. It works just like any other SD card. Worked fine in my laptop too.

That's fantastic news! But I think it would be better formatted as ext2. I'm guessing the journal file must be around 2,5GB, and it's not so useful to have it for an SD. It'll make it work slower, and stress the blocks too much.

So coming back to the awesomeness... It's possible to have 128 GB in the pandora!! :D and possible more in the future. That's sweet

Wolfsclaw said:
where did you get it from and at what prize?
$215 from Amazon. Their prices seem to change daily.

Is it okay to go without a journal on removable media? ext2 can get unhappy if you don't unmount it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
Is it okay to go without a journal on removable media? ext2 can get unhappy if you don't unmount it first.

On my N800 using boot from SD, it would get corrupt far too easily with ext2, even if I usually managed to shut it down properly, just one failure to recharge in time (I never have figured out why it won't shutdown safely) or kernel panic (it happens) could do it.
So I switched to ext3 and it has been Much happier.

Awesome. Now all we need is for these cards to reach reasonable prices and I can carry my entire music collection around with me, and still have room for a few films. And all this next to a lovely standard SDHC card containing my entire gaming collection.

mmmm..... the future....

Thanks for the link on the 32gb, I just grabbed one. Picked up one from another store last week for like 10 bucks more, so now I have two 32 gb for the Pandora when it arrives.

As of today I have a 32gig card in one slot, and a 64gig card in the other. It bloody rocks..

I can finally get my old 5G ipod (80 gig) replaced/backed-up/restored-to-a-normal-filesystem onto the Pandora, and I still have an infinite - literally, almost infinite - number of games in the same package.

Plus, I can compile everything onboard. WTF?! Bollocks!

I'm really in love with this machine, if only I could somehow get it to work with my LCD Projector, I'd be in fat city and probably could sell all my 'bigger, faster' machines, or something.

craigix said:
128GB Pandora :wacko:

Never underestimate humanities seemingly irrational need for size and speed.

Speed's all a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

But these go up to 11.

Working with SDXC rocks - A 128GB Pandora is not the end - that is the start...

SD started at 4MB and went to 4GB (2GB official - 4GB on a few special cards).
SDHC started at 4GB and went to 32GB.
SDXC started at 64GB per card. I would expect it to go to at least 256GB per card before the next spec hits. Supposedly the addressing can handle 2TB, but I'm betting they will want to have something new to market before then.

So... If SDXC really works out, at some point it -might- be possible to have a half terabyte Pandora.

Fun stuff.

Neko said:
I got a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card to test in my Pandora. It works perfectly.

I needed to format the card before it would be recognized, and formatted it ext3. The free space after formatting is 61188176 blocks. It works just like any other SD card. Worked fine in my laptop too.

I was hoping we would be able to use sdxc cards. This is some great news!

Neko said:
I got a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card to test in my Pandora.
This card seems to be extremely fast. Could you please do a speed test using hdparm or something like this? So we'll find out limitations of Pandora.

torpor said:
As of today I have a 32gig card in one slot, and a 64gig card in the other. It bloody rocks..

I can finally get my old 5G ipod (80 gig) replaced/backed-up/restored-to-a-normal-filesystem onto the Pandora, and I still have an infinite - literally, almost infinite - number of games in the same package.

Plus, I can compile everything onboard. WTF?! Bollocks!

I'm really in love with this machine, if only I could somehow get it to work with my LCD Projector, I'd be in fat city and probably could sell all my 'bigger, faster' machines, or something.
What brand is your 64GB and what format is it in because I've been thinking about ordering a SanDisk 64GB Ultra because I have a ton of media and games to put on mine when it arrives. :D

Also what formats does it allow you to use on it? Have you tested it with something like FAT32 or would it be best to use EXT3? sorry I don't know all that much about the different formats. :(

When I first inserted the card it did nothing, didn't appear on the desktop. Opened up terminal and typed: sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 (use mmcblk1 for the second slot)

't' then '83' to change the partition type to linux, then 'w' to save.

sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

Then wait about 10 minutes while it formats.

Read speed is about 16Mbytes/sec on the Pandora. Not sure what the write speed would be on the pandora since I copied files to the card using my laptop.

I think I have the same Sandisk 64SDXC, arrived last week in most suppliers ..

With regard to formatting, I did the same as Neko only instead of ext3 I used ext2. No experience with FAT, I avoid it personally, ext[2,3] is pretty good for every system I am using these days, even on OSX ..

I'll probably try to get another of these cards, it would be amazing to have a full-blown source tree for the whole OS on the other card .. :)

Back