SDXC Card problems

pisiiki

Still Fresh
Hello, I have trouble with a 64GB SDXC card (SD 3.0), it is a transcend TS64GSDXC10. It looks like it works fine out of the box, however after intesive use (decompressing a big .tar.gz to a ext3 partition in the card) the system starts to show errors. I have also observed that the card shows 64GB if I format it on windows or ubuntu and 60GB if I do it with gparted in the pandora. If I decompress the files in ubuntu the pandora then refuses to access the card fine too. It fails randomly all the time.

I did the same process with a 8GB SDHC card and it worked, but with this card (I mean the 64GB one) I have found problems since day 0.

I have no idea on what to do, maybe I should just format it to 32GB or less?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I have trouble with a 64GB SDXC card (SD 3.0), it is a transcend TS64GSDXC10. It looks like it works fine out of the box, however after intesive use (decompressing a big .tar.gz to a ext3 partition in the card) the system starts to show errors. I have also observed that the card shows 64GB if I format it on windows or ubuntu and 60GB if I do it with gparted in the pandora. If I decompress the files in ubuntu the pandora then refuses to access the card fine too. It fails randomly all the time.

I did the same process with a 8GB SDHC card and it worked, but with this card (I mean the 64GB one) I have found problems since day 0.

I have no idea on what to do, maybe I should just format it to 32GB or less?

Regards.

Maybe try a fat or NTFS filesystem, You can format above 32GB in fat32 using something like Partition Magic from a boot disc like Hirens boot disc for example.

I have a 32GB Peak card that corrupts in every computer I put it in except the Pandora. Works fine for 5-10 mins then corrupts the card, I get round it by using the Pandora as a card reader via USB. SD cards can be strange

Anywhoo hope you get it sorted :)

Maybe try a fat or NTFS filesystem, You can format above 32GB in fat32 using something like Partition Magic from a boot disc like Hirens boot disc for example.

I have a 32GB Peak card that corrupts in every computer I put it in except the Pandora. Works fine for 5-10 mins then corrupts the card, I get round it by using the Pandora as a card reader via USB. SD cards can be strange

Anywhoo hope you get it sorted :)

It has to be ext2 or ext3, because I want to install linux there.

Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? I've heard some SD cards have been modified to misrepresent their size, causing errors once you start to write to them.

Edit: If you're unsure, you could check Prometheus' forum signature. It has information concerning fake SD. Or go here.

Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? I've heard some SD cards have been modified to misrepresent their size, causing errors once you start to write to them.

Edit: If you're unsure, you could check Prometheus' forum signature. It has information concerning fake SD. Or go here.

I'm 100% sure that the card is fine, I think that we need to double check the SD drivers and the kernel config maybe. I have been trying to build the kernel with other configuration but I have no idea at all about what to change or try and I didn't make any success.

Does this happen in both SD slots? There have been a few cases where Pandoras with bad SD slots slipped past quality control.

Does this happen in both SD slots? There have been a few cases where Pandoras with bad SD slots slipped past quality control.

It happens in both slots yeah, I have tested it in the 2nd slot a couple of minutes ago. I can't really do much more. I will just try different block size.

I have spent all the day and I managed to make it work by mounting the ext2 partition with the sync option (obviously a lot slower and a SD life killer). However I think we must further investigate what is going on here, it looks that there is some kind of problem with write caches and very fast SD cards with the current kernel/drivers.

I have spent all the day and I managed to make it work by mounting the ext2 partition with the sync option (obviously a lot slower and a SD life killer). However I think we must further investigate what is going on here, it looks that there is some kind of problem with write caches and very fast SD cards with the current kernel/drivers.

hello,

today things are better or not?

i hesitate to buy a sdxc.

Actually any SDcard - or more general any product - has bad reviews if you search long enough. For me it's always been the same: I start searching, find a source saying "A is good", search on, at some point find someone saying "A is bad", continue searching until i find someone saying "B is good" and sooner or later you find someone saying "B is not good either".

I don't have that much SDcard experience. I bought a Transcend 8GB and a Transcend 4GB, both are running fine. Also pisiiki says that his card is working fine with other operating-system. I doubt that the card itself is flawful.

On the other hand i noticed some trouble with the OpenPandora-OS. I boot from SD and when i launch xfce my boot-card is being mounted twice - once as / and once as /media/root (cause it's labeled "root"). I for that reason added both card-slots to udevs-mount-blacklist. Also sometimes pnds (or their loop-devices) do not get cleanly unmounted (e.g. when a process crashes). So it might happen that a card is not cleanly unmounted when you shutdown the pandora. Finally some people reported problems when copying files from card1 to card2 (or the other way round? can't remember 100%). There has been a patch brought into some HotFix to solve this issue AFAIK, which though might cause slowdowns.

However none of these problems should cause trouble when unpacking - unless you unpack from one card to the other. Not sure what might be causing this.

@pisiiki

You said that the card shows less free memory in gparted. Is that after creating a filesystem? I doubt that the following is related to this, but you still might be interested in the fact, that by default, when you mkfs.ext2/3 a partition, 5% of the space are being reserved for emergency. This AFAIK is so that the partition still can be booted correctly. You can free this space by using the "-m 0" option - which tells mkfs to reserve 0% of the whole space. I do that with all my cards as you always can free some space by booting from flash and mounting the card there.

Don't forget that the Pandora's SD slots are only rated as high as SDHC (that is SD 2.0), not the SDXC standard (that is 3.0). At the moment it seems that manufacturers are still using the 2.0 spec to create the larger size cards (I think I remember reading that 2.0 has a theoretical limit of 2TB). There is no guarantee that when manufacturers start using 3.0 the SDXC cards will be compatible with the Pandora's sdhc slot.

I could of course be talking out if my backside ;)

Shoot, I decided to stick with Sandisk even though it tends to cost a little more and even they have gotten bad reviews, yet thankfully I have never had a bad Sandisk card, then again, I have never had a card or flash drive that failed to work, considering my luck, that is probably pretty odd. Now that I have said this of course, none of my current cards will work properly when my Pandora arrives! ;)

I'd say it's because it's a class ten card pandora seems to have read/write problems with cards above class 4. At least from what i've seen on the forums. Which dissappoints people who wanted the fastest and best for their pandora but i think class 4 is as good as the cards slots in the pandora can do anyway.

Also word is that the first sdxc cards (most of whats released currently) are sd 3.0 spec which is electronically (hardware-wise) the same as sd 2.0 (which pandoras hardware is rated to), it should work. But future sdxc cards may require a firmware update or just not work at all with sd 4.0 spec coming along(which they don't write on the cards-what version it is.)

Sorry if its a bit rambly ive been ill so im still a little off(just read it back - a bit unreadable but good info so meh).

Don't forget that the Pandora's SD slots are only rated as high as SDHC (that is SD 2.0), not the SDXC standard (that is 3.0). At the moment it seems that manufacturers are still using the 2.0 spec to create the larger size cards (I think I remember reading that 2.0 has a theoretical limit of 2TB). There is no guarantee that when manufacturers start using 3.0 the SDXC cards will be compatible with the Pandora's sdhc slot.

So...an 128GB SDXC card (spec 2.0) could work on Pandora?

Well, the docs say you aren't allowed to use the bits that makes > 32Go possible. However, they aren't used for anything else and I'm pretty sure it's those exact bits that are allocated for size data in 3.0, so most SDXC capable drivers will recognize size anyway.

I'd say it's because it's a class ten card pandora seems to have read/write problems with cards above class 4.

I have two 16GB cards in my Pandora - one class 6 (from OPT) and one class 10 from Amazon. Both are solid performers and have been filled/emptied many times without errors - well, not since ED fixed SD cards in HF5 :)

D.

^ It's incorrect to say that the Pandora has problems with all cards above Class 4, really. :p

There are still cards, that are usually Class 6 or 10, which have issues, but to the best of my knowledge, that is actually down to what hardware particular manufacturers are putting in their cards, rather than an issue with the Pandora.

^ It's incorrect to say that the Pandora has problems with all cards above Class 4, really. :p

There are still cards, that are usually Class 6 or 10, which have issues, but to the best of my knowledge, that is actually down to what hardware particular manufacturers are putting in their cards, rather than an issue with the Pandora.

In that case, the manufacturers are: "extrememory" from OPT (class 6) and "PNY Professional" from Amazon (Class 10). As I said, they work very very well indeed.

D.

ZXDunny, that PNY card is going to fall apart on you in a few weeks. Mine did. Luckily, I managed to replace it before I lost any data. Get a new card now and don't look back.

Back