A-b/x-y Buttons - No Space

boolean

Still Fresh
I'm just wondering if this is just me, or does anyone else have trouble with lack of space between the A-B/X-Y buttons? I only just got my GP2x today, and the first thing I did was give some old Snes roms a try. Unlike most controllers though where pressing the X and Y button is fairly easy, I found it impossible to press X and Y at the same time without mashing all the buttons together.

I found this makes some games like Rock and Roll Racing impossible, because you are always hold down X, and need to press the Y button to fire weapons. Essentially, any driving/racing game becomes unplayable.

Now, given the size of the system, I can see how horizontal space is limited without increasing the width of the unit. But still, it’s a bit frustrating.

Has anyone else found this a bit annoying? I was surprised that, after spending all night going through this forum to catch up on all the news, I never found any mention of this.

Heh, I’m really starting to think that the tradeoff between having an analogue stick as well as a directional pad, as well as spacing out the A-B/X-Y buttons over a slightly longer unit would have been worth it.

So you don't have any problems pressing X and Y at the same time?

Squidge posted on Feb 15 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
WrongEyedJesus posted on Feb 15 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
Be the buttons.

No, you need to be one with the buttons :)
Feel the buttons. Allow the spirit of the buttons to become intertwined with yours. Be one with the buttons. The buttons are one with you. Allow the buttons to become you, and allow your spirit to flow into the buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
boolean posted on Feb 15 2006 at 02:24 PM said:
So you don't have any problems pressing X and Y at the same time?

No.

And when I WANT to hit both at the same time, like in Robotron or in another game, while firing I can jump without having to stop shooting (gunstar heroes for example).

It is fine the way it is unless you are a spaz.

Last edited by a moderator:
apendidges = appendages, the google fight wasn't even close :)

i don't have a problem with the closeness of the buttons, however, i do have a problem with my hands being too large for the system in general...my right thumb tends to get cramped up because of the way it's sitting. c'est la vie.

Just practice, I suppose.

I've been using the Neo Geo emulator quite a lot, and I have no problem hitting either individual buttons or combinations of buttons. As with all controllers, it can take a little while to get used to the particulars.

I read about this in some FAQ before the GP2X was released, my opinion stays unchanged - ITS YOUR FAT THUMBS STOP EATING MCDONALDS!

i have had problems cos of my huge hands im lucky though that my fingers arent that fat

i just use the joint of my thumb to press x then arch my thumb over to press y

im constantly pressing the start button though

tbh, im good at it cos i used to play NES and SNES so i find it easy, its only like a few millimeters closer together anyway

I think the issue is this. You mean the X and Y as it is configured on the GP2x right?

X
A B
Y

Yeah, thats hard to hit at the same time. However, there should be an option in SquidgeSNES to change the configuration to be like SNES where the X and Y are next to each other. Please note, I a) do not have my GP2X to confirm that configuration I posted is correct and B I might be misremembering the feature I'm talking about...

You can switch the button layout to be the snes standard rather then the mapped ones in SquidgeSnes.

The buttons are the mind killer.
The buttons are the little death that brings total obliteration
I will hit my buttons
I will permit them to be pressed by me individually
And when they has been pressed i will look to the screen to see the reaction
Where the buttons were there will be nothing.
Only my big thumb will remain.

And your buttons will be smashed under the case, i might add.

goddamnit K-teto, i was going to post that!

nice to see other dune fans ^_^

Back